Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 638

Default Sending a computer to Toronto for repair

Gents;

We have just suffered yet another catastrophic computer failure, and need to send it to a repair center in Toronto. But the technician states I may be charged duty on the declared value. Can that possibly be?

V/r

Iverson

Post Scriptum - Merry Christmas.

Liked: 119

Default Cdn duties

I lost a digital camera at Heathrow. Luckily they have a brilliant lost/found system. I had it shipped back to me in Canada. Got dinged 13% on the insured value.

KR.

Liked: 182

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Gents;

We have just suffered yet another catastrophic computer failure, and need to send it to a repair center in Toronto. But the technician states I may be charged duty on the declared value. Can that possibly be?

V/r

Iverson

declared value would be zero right? I mean it's a broken computer which offers no intrinsic value unless you want a fancy paper weight.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 638

Quote Originally Posted by Robins Ken View Post
    ....Got dinged 13% on the insured value. KR.
    That's what I am trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    declared value would be zero right? I mean it's a broken computer which offers no intrinsic value unless you want a fancy paper weight.
    Yep. But upon return, I'll have $500 in repairs (video card + labor). I'll just have to suck it up I guess.

V/r

Iverson

Liked: 49

Is this a warranty repair? Or is there another reason it has to be serviced in Toronto? If it just needs a graphics card replaced, couldn't it be done locally, avoiding the shipping and tax problem?

Still, you should only be taxed on the repairs and new parts, not the computer itself. If you ship through UPS or FedEx though, you will likely be taxed for everything, plus charged for brokerage fees and all sorts of bullsh!t. I've had much better luck with Purolator or better yet, USPS/Canada Post. But for a bigger package like that, USPS might not even be an option.

Liked: 210

That's what I am trying to avoid. Yep. But upon return, I'll have $500 in repairs (video card + labor). I'll just have to suck it up I guess.

V/r Iverson
    When you take a race car and transporter in to Canada you submit declared value documents to US customs upon entering Canada (leaving USA). When you come back, you show to border agents in the US the same documents and there's no duty due. Can't you do the same thing with the computer??

But yes, replacing a video card and doing some repairs shouldn't require a trip to Canada unless it's a warranty repair at the factory. What kind of Canadian computer did you buy??

After almost 37 years of using many, many computers starting with a Tandy II, I still think the absolute best and most reliable ones are made by HP and Sony. Sadly, I'm now using a Gateway that goes whacky about every 4 to 6 months.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Not sure I follow - you pay duty on importing, which you are not doing, and I have not heard of duty being paid on warrenty work that is being returned to the country of origin.

Best to call the source
    Border Information Service.

From ezbordercrossing.com:

The Border Information Service (BIS) is the call center for the CBSA. *At this number you can ask any type of question related to crossing into Canada. * Unlike the U.S. Border Services, Canada doesn’t publish the phone numbers for it’s ports. *They want you to call this information service and they will then transfer your call to the port you need.

You can call the BIS*at 800-461-9999 from within Canada, or 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 from outside the country. * The call center is only open 8am to 4pm. *Getting to a live person is sometimes pretty difficult given their menu structure. * You need to make at least one, and probably two, *menu selections before you get to a point where you can press “0? *to get a real person. *The last time we checked, they never tell you that pressing “0? *gets you to a human being.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 296

I've only shipped across borders a few times, but USPS was always the best option when I did (it hurts to say that). The customs forms was simple and then they handled the rest.

Although I am with Tiago, unless it's warranty work just get it done locally. I had a warranty repair once where they sent me the parts and I did it myself.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 14

*disclaimer* I am not a computer engineer, or software engineer, nor do I claim to be but my dad is and has taught me a few things.*
    I have built several computer systems for personal use, others, and business use. If the computer is more than around 5 years old, your usually better off just getting a new one (or in my case, build another one). You will spend around $200 to get it "fixed" plus all that time (and computer tech guys can be like some mechanics selling you tons of useless crap like headlight fluid and "winter" air for your tires). You could have a brand new one with all new components for around $400-$500. Computer technology is a very fast evolving industry. What is top of the line today, will be obsolete in a few years. I built a really good gaming computer to run Iracing a year ago, and its only classified as a good computer now. I would suggest just buying a new one and have the hard drive information transferred over to the new one if the computer just need to serve normal functions. It will save you lots of time and hassle in the end. And if the computer is for sim racing and/or photo/video needs I would suggest having someone build one catered to your needs.
    Just my 2 cents on the subject,
    Hope this helps,
    Jon

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

Matrox card right? Why not just call 'em and ask how to minimize the issues?

Liked: 768

Gents;

V/r

Iverson

From an ex-pat Canadian: I believe what he was trying to say was you will be charged about 13% "value added tax" on his labor, regardless that you are out of country. He has no choice but to charge it. You can avoid additional import/export duties with suitable paperwork that can be downloaded from Canadian customs website.

Liked: 8

Default Import/Export

I run an import/export business. HST (tax) will NOT need to be charged on any goods shown to ship outside of Canada.

If you declare the item as being shipped to Canada for repairs, you only need to declare the value of the repairs upon importation back into the States.

It is my experience that rarely is duty being charged. almost never. This is partly due to free trade (NAFTA). Be sure and declare the computer as being made in the USA or Canada; this will go a long way ensuring that no duties will be assessed. There will be no sales tax applied to your computer coming into Canada.

So to summarize:

No sales tax on arrival into Canada
    No duties applicable on arrival into Canada
    No sale tax applied at source (the repair shop) as long as the goods are being directly shipped outside of Canada
    No duties applicable on the computer itself on arrival into the US (as this is used goods being repaired)
    The only charges that MAY be applicable are US-levied tax on the value of the repair...and this is rarely charged as sales tax is applicable on a state-by-state basis not at the federal level.

Absolutely agree about USPS being a viable, inexpensive method of delivery. I ship brake calipers back and forth into a machine shop I use in New Jersey. I have never (in over 10 years) been delayed, lost, or excess-value charged at the border. This in probably over 100 times across the border.

Be sure your repair provider understands the requirements for documentation of the transaction; simply identify that a repair has been completed and they need to state ACCURATELY the value of the repair. They need to attach THREE copies of the invoice to the outside of the box...labeled "Customs Documents"....and you are good to go!

Good luck, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Thread Information