Liked: 313

Default AIM to CSV conversion

Either through my own careless note keeping or a change to AIM software, I was confused in trying to save CSV files in Race Studio and then open them in SciLab. I had done it before but it was behaving differently this time.

Opening the CSV's in Notepad I found that there are double quotes before and after each and every value that Race Studio saved in the CSV. By trial and error I found that opening the CSV in Excel and then saving it in Excel, again as a CSV, got rid of the double quotes. Double quotes make each entry in the data file a separate string variable and not really usable for calculations.

Like I said, either my notes are faulty or AIM changed the CSV conversion with the recent software release. Does anyone know which? Better yet, is there a way to make the conversion to CSV without the quotes? I tried the various CSV conversion check-boxes but didn't find one that did what I wanted. I want the header on the file as I have written a SciLab script to work with it.

Liked: 20

I just checked on mine and I'm getting the same issue. I wonder if they just made a mistake in the latest software, I don't remember having this problem before.

Thanks Brian. I wasn't sure if it was me or them. Good to know that is probably them.

I will submit a question to AIM Sport. Sometimes they have answers, sometimes, not so much. My experience when asking questions that bore deep into the technical side is they don't know what the home office in Italy is up to.

The first reply I got from AIM tech support was a demonstration that the CSV file the tech guy converted opened just fine in Excel, a fact I was aware of but did not address the issue that those very same CSV files would not open in other software designed to open CSV files. I replied to AIM tech support to please open the data file in Notepad or something similar. This is their reply:
    -----------------------------
    AiM Tech Support

Hi David,

I now see what you are referring to. I believe that we had to change this in order to be compatible with several third party video-data synchronization applications (i.e. TrackVision). A workaround is to simply choose the TXT option instead of the .CSV export. This option then removes the double quotation marks and appears to be formatted for your specifications in Notepad...
    -----------------------------

I have yet to play with trying to open TXT's to do post analysis but at a minimum they do not have all the header information that the previous CSV's did.

I wish they had made their other data files "TrackVision" or something instead of corrupting the CSV format.

Thread Information