Liked: 232

Default CARB FOAM & HEAT MATERIAL/FOIL w/ ADHESIVE

CARB FOAM & HEAT MATERIAL/FOIL --- w/ ADHESIVE

Two (2) questions for consideration and recommendation(s) please .......

FIRST: I have to replace the compressible foam (with its adhesive backing) that is on the ally plate that connects to the top of the Weber that seals same to the tail section on the db-1 -- Knowing the sources, I review all listed at McMaster Carr and anticipating I need 3/4" but what is the proper material to be purchased ? I see silicone, poly-whate-ever, etc. What is the consensus for the best height, compressibility and material based upon prior experience.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-sheets/=ph5hzl (some research)

SECOND: I have acquired a new tail from CCE Steven Maxwell (nice work!) - The current tail has the heavy aluminized material glued everywhere and its multiple pounds in weight (it came that way in/since 1986 -works great) Working towards weight reduction, is there a lightweight material (i.e silver/gold foil, etc.) that wil protect the new tail's material and it new paint ? Again -- What is the consensus based upon prior/actual experience of the best material.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/ (my research)

"I am sooooo confused ...." Vinny Barbarino

Thanks to all in advance

EJ

Liked: 307

Default My selections...

I am using the MMc "Fire-Retardant Silicone Foam", plain back, 6"x6", 1/2" thick, 85925K306. At ~$25.00 it's expensive, but given the service, I can live with it. That is, this stuff last longer than other foams I have tried plus it fire-retardant which seems like a must for where it's used.

As for the heat barrier, I have the 24"x36" Aluminized Heat Barrier, Adhesive Backed from Pegasus, 1828-24x36. Works great and stays in place.

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 10

This post has some info in the context of carb heat shielding:

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showpost...67&postcount=7

Pics were removed so I'm adding the relevant ones here.

Link to the thread: http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthre...ht=heat+shield

Car is an 85 VD (aka copy of a DB1)

Liked: 667

I use Pegasus foam part no: 1265-201 on the carb. Seems adequate, and Rollin hasn't told me about finding excess wear /grit in the cylinder walls. Hard to evaluate functionality beyond that. I have used the gold foil heat shield on my starter and coil, but again, hard to tell if it works or just looks cool. I've changed a lot of coils chasing misses, but can't recall one that went away just because of that, so...???
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 36

To protect the bodywork I would use the gold foil from Pegasus. It's expensive but it's light and stays in place. On my Piper the side of the tail is very close to the Honda exhaust manifold. The manifold gets so hot that it has dstroyed the Swain Tech White Lightning coating on the manifold but I have no damage to the bodywork protected by the gold foil.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Thread Information