Liked: 0

Default 14LF/LD20 alternatives

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on brake callipers. I'm in the process of building a Ginetta G15 for Historic events in UK and continental Europe, specifically long hillclimb events (usually many km in length) The G15 currently has Girling 14LF fronts on the usual triumph uprights, with Lockheed/AP LD20s on the rear with modified Davrian/Imp trailing arms. These brakes are perfectly powerful enough on this car weighing around 530kg or less, but they're pretty heavy callipers, so I'm looking for lighter options. I'll have to keep them iron to stay in the historic class, so-ICP? Can these be run on a car that's road legal/registered and that's going to do a few thousand miles a year. I know they lack dust seals etc but that's not a concern as the car's going to be checked over between events. Are the ICP suitable for some road use? Advice from those running ICPs gratefully received.
    Thanks

S

Liked: 1395

I would recommend that you use the same caliper front and rear on the car. With the LD20 type caliper, you have an almost unlimited selection of pads available. Pad choice will be crucial to getting optimum brake performance.

The ICP caliper is a good choice to replace the LD20. It weighs slightly less than some of the alloy alternatives and can be built to fit various width rotors. Something that is not easy with your other options.

For years, the Citation cars were build with IPC calipers front and rear. At the fronts we used 3/8 rotors and the rear were 1/4 rotors. This gave really good brake balance front to rear. The trick here is to have the front and rear pads/rotors operating at the same temperature.

Hope this helps.

Liked: 0

Thanks
    I'll have to stay with the 14LF replacement ICPs on the front as the mounting bolt centres are 3.25" rather than the 3.5" LD20s.
    S
    Last edited by Stakhanov; 08.27.13 at 4:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Liked: 1395

Quote Originally Posted by Stakhanov View Post
    Thanks
    I'll have to stay with the 14LF replacement ICPs on the front as the mounting bolt centres are 3.25" rather than the 3.5" LD20s.
    S
    The ICP caliper is available with radial mounts. That allows you to make a very simple aluminum adapter to mount to the 3.25 holes.

Thread Information