Liked: 1

Default replay xd 1080 wont turn on

Guys

looking for some help I have a replay xd 1080 which was working fine but went to use at the weekend and it wont turn on it has been fully charged and everything any ideas.

thanks

Liked: 53

Check list:

1. Make sure the SD Card is in correctly when you try and turn it on.

2. Will it turn on and stay on while its plugged into the charger?
    - If so the battery has broken and they will replace that for you.
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Liked: 447

You may need to perform a reset on it. I've needed to do that.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 14

push the reset button, you might need a needle or fine point.

Liked: 282

If it will turn on when attached to the USB charging cable, then I think you've had a battery connection failure (supposed to be common on 2L cars). I think ReplayXD can repair it, contact them directly.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    If it will turn on when attached to the USB charging cable, then I think you've had a battery connection failure (supposed to be common on 2L cars). I think ReplayXD can repair it, contact them directly.
    Happened to me with a Kent. Returned it to them for a fix. Two events since. So far so good.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 61

83 FF VD-body mount next to driver.

Frustrated.

I've been through three cameras (1080XD). Our race team has experience with Replay and we can't seem to make our 1080 work consistently. We are on our third camera since spring. It's been hardwired, chip has had a tiny dot of helicopter tape applied to 'jam' it into its slot to eliminate vibration, reset, you name it-- but it just won't start, record and REPLAY consistently. No dig just fact.

The customer service has been slow and honestly, seemed to want me to believe it's our fault. I feel for them, constantly replacing cameras (interesting business model...) but perhaps the Replay XD just won't work within a certain harmonic environment? Why not say, "no Kent engines"? Suggest helmet mount only?

Better to have that information upfront than to have go down this path. In frustration, we're going to test some Neo units and see what they deliver.

Yet to add data acquisition to our car, the video is a huge help in --honestly-- recalling one's line, etc. I hate not to know we have video for all sessions.

Bob Melvin

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by bobmelvin View Post
    83 FF VD-body mount next to driver.

Frustrated.

I've been through three cameras (1080XD). Our race team has experience with Replay and we can't seem to make our 1080 work consistently. We are on our third camera since spring. It's been hardwired, chip has had a tiny dot of helicopter tape applied to 'jam' it into its slot to eliminate vibration, reset, you name it-- but it just won't start, record and REPLAY consistently. No dig just fact.

The customer service has been slow and honestly, seemed to want me to believe it's our fault. I feel for them, constantly replacing cameras (interesting business model...) but perhaps the Replay XD just won't work within a certain harmonic environment? Why not say, "no Kent engines"? Suggest helmet mount only?

Better to have that information upfront than to have go down this path. In frustration, we're going to test some Neo units and see what they deliver.

Yet to add data acquisition to our car, the video is a huge help in --honestly-- recalling one's line, etc. I hate not to know we have video for all sessions.

Bob Melvin
    Reset camera, charge it, format card again and make sure it's inserted. Then mount it on your helmet and I bet it will be fine. The kent and pinto engines seem to have the most problems.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 61

We have done all you suggest; three times if not ten.

The 'camera on a helmet view' just stinks. Plus, you get busted looking around the grid...if you get my drift.

After adding the Neo we discussed using the Replay for another angle in which case the helmet would be okay.

I don't really like hanging an additional several ounces on my helmet though.

It is what it is I guess. I just wish Replay had been honest about the failure rate. Mine being 100% on three cameras. If you use a Replay on your mountain bike or Miata no issues. Kent Ford? Seems you have a possible problem.

I don't think it's just replay I have seen post with a ton of people having problems with other cameras on Kent's and pintos. I have a 1080 on the roll bar and the smaller 760 on the side of my helmet and I always hated the camera mounted videos before but I love it now I have it at eye level and it points into 1 mirror. If your not a rubber necker it's fine I tend to move my eyes and not so much my head, most likely because I can't ;-)
    Mark Filip

Liked: 5

I also keep having random issues with my Replay 1080 on my F600. I am on my second one and it wouldn't turn on in grid for my last race. Really frustrated. Prepping the car at home for the next race and tried it and it turned on with no issues. Really frustrated. At least I figured out how to kill the rolling shutter effect on the video for $3. Video when it has worked is crystal clear.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member
    Liked: 2

I recently bought a Replay 1080XD with a 4 wire setup. I had an issue with it not turning on when not connected to the 4 wire. Replay told me to try a "reset", push a paper clip into the reset hole and hold for 30 seconds. That worked.
    In two races, the video shut off after 30 minutes. I went to Replay's website and emailed their technical assistance and asked them why it would turn off after 30 minutes with the 4 wire system. After a series of emails, all quickly responded to, they told me that it should not shut off at 30 minutes, and based on my answers to their questions they decided the problem must be in the camera itself and asked me to return it so they could check it. They should be receiving it today, so we will see what happens.

Frank Williamson

guys
    Thanks for your responses I have tried all the comments you have made but to no avail I have plugged it in to the pc to charge it and the green light goes on saying it is charging as it should do and when it is finished the light goes out, resetting has made no difference and even when the green light is on when charging it wont turn on its a shame as i have only got to use two times and on each occasion it gave great results I chose the replay after a lot of investigating and it did seem to come out on top at the time in front of gopros,contours etc.
    I have looked up goggle to see if there were any issues and a few people are saying they have had similar problems and they got sorted by updating the firmware did any one come across this.
    My issue with sending it back to replay is I am here in Ireland and I got the camera as xmas gift in 2012 and I am wondering will replay cover this.

Thanks

Liked: 106

They have been very supportive. There may even be a specific 2l mount in the works. We will see.

Liked: 5

Tried my camera again today and it was back to giving me fits and not turning on. Talked with Replay and they had my pull the card and try to turn it on. Without the SD card it turned on just fine, flashed the red light 3 times (signalling no card) and turned off just like it is supposed to. They sent me a link to a program that will do a hard format of SD cards. Apparently if there are issues with the SD card, the camera won't turn on. So try formatting your SD card if your camera won't turn on. Make sure you change the options from quick format to a write format. This will take some time but it will write to every bit on the card ensuring that every bit works and is clean of any bad data.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Here is a photo of my $3 camera mount that solved the rolling shutter issue. This is significantly stiffer than the billet aluminum camera mount that Replay sells. The billet mount flex lets the camera move too much relative to the chassis in the frequency range of the sensor scan rate causing the rolling shutter effect. The only real cure for this is a much stiffer mount to kill the movement.

Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 8

I got a ReplayXD 720, tested it out on my street car to get lighting and such.. used it for maybe an hour...

Put it on the FF on Friday, turned on fine, both lights (recording)... went out.. came back in and it is off. Wont turn on.

Plug it into power, green light flickers and off. It'll turn on and record, but wont without USB cable...

Call them, only thing is to reset.. that doesnt do anything. Then they say battery must have come undone..

Only solution is to send it to them... emailed yesterday morning, got a case # but haven't heard back with an address or RMA to send.

In talkign to someone else at Gingerman that had an XD 1080 on their car, I don't think these things are reliable (he was on his second as well) for our use...

Sucks to lose a whole weekend of video...
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

I am on to nearly two full years with my ReplayXD now. Sorry some are having problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    I am on to nearly two full years with my ReplayXD now. Sorry some are having problems with them.
    What kind of car you running
    Mark Filip

F2000 and FE

Liked: 447

The amount of abuse they can withstand may have something to do with how rigid they are mounted. If they are hard mounted to a rollhoop, they may see a more untimely demise than vs when being mounted on bodywork which can kind of float on top of the vibrating frame. They aren't potted pieces of industrial electronics. In a normal "extreme" type of life on a mountain bike or a skydiver, they would last a long time. Can't really expect them to last when they're getting the snot shaken out of them for long periods of time.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    The amount of abuse they can withstand may have something to do with how rigid they are mounted. If they are hard mounted to a rollhoop, they may see a more untimely demise than vs when being mounted on bodywork which can kind of float on top of the vibrating frame. They aren't potted pieces of industrial electronics. In a normal "extreme" type of life on a mountain bike or a skydiver, they would last a long time. Can't really expect them to last when they're getting the snot shaken out of them for long periods of time.
    Keith,
    When they advertise that they work in auto racing, and have demo clips of racing on formula cars - I expect them to last.

I just got my RMA for first one. Anyone share a turnaround time?
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

about 3 days 4 me

ok Guys

Have been in contact with replay and they said try the usual things but none have worked so they have asked me to send it to them for a check up will report when I here more but keep the info coming about mounting and so on as you never know what works for one person may help us out,that is the replay customers.

Thanks

The only troubleshooting they did over the phone was to ask to reset it, then he said the battery must have come undone and had to send it back.

I have a slim confidence that it'll get turned around by next Thursday.. so I ordered another one from amazon, will try it out.. and if either replacement or 2nd new one fail, they'll both go back...

I'm going to mount one on the rollbar, its thru a ram mount with has a fair amount of isolation. and another on the fiberglass.. we'll see!
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 127

Im running a 1080, billet roll bar mount with rubber in between the mount and roll bar, Kent powered FF.

First setup was just running off the battery, the battery failed after about 4 weekends. Sent it back for a "revised battery", turnaround was quick, maybe a week and a half from my mailbox and back. From there, I decided to buy the hardwire kit and not rely on the battery anymore in case it failed again. I've been on the hardwire kit and new battery for 3 weekends now with no issues.

The camera quality is great and love watching back video on my 40" flatscreen. Just seems like there are some reliability issues still.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

OK guys got my camera back from replay on friday powered it up and tested it and seems to be working as it did before (before it broke) the guys in replay were helpful and kept me informed all the way.

Liked: 0

Registering and reviving this thread just in case there are others like me.

I've had 3 ReplayXD-1080P cameras to fail on me. The first two times I thought it was a matter of letting the Li-Ion battery to discharge too much. Perhaps there was a problem with the protective circuit. The last time that could not have been the case: The battery was full to start with and only used in 15 minute event.

Did lots of googling. Strangely though, even though I've been hit 3 times with the problem,I hardly saw any mentions on battery problems until I came across this thread. Then it came clear to me: It's not a problem of battery being overly discharged but something inside the camera getting broken and the connectivity between internal battery and the camera being lost.

I sent my camera for Replay and they replaced it. It did require couple of emails to convince them my issue was not a matter of normal battery capacity deterioration but actual fault.
    Yeah, I wonder how their business model of replacing cameras will carry in the long run...

Some background
    I participate local hobby level go-kart action and wanted an action camera. Initially tried with friend's countour, but that could handle two laps the most as there are some extreme vibrations with the kart (and the track is not that smooth either). GoPro just looks ugly, is quite big, everyone else has one (I hate being one of the crowd) and the field of viiew is too much of fish eye. Replay looked like what I was after. Nice FoV, smaller size etcetc. It has done good job with the vibrations up to the point of failure(s). I hope Replay has improved their products and my replacement camera can stand up the abuse from the go karting.
    This is last footage from my previous camera, when it failed. (go karting) http://vimeo.com/96395337

Liked: 49

Default SD Card

Just a note: if you do not have the micorSD card formatted properly, the camera will not record. I ran into this as I use a Mac. The card needs to have a specific formatting (I believe it is FAT32 but verify this with the card sent with the camera).

If the camera will turn on but will not record this could be the issue. I ran into this when I bought a new larger card.
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

I just use the replay to format itself very few sessions to keep things clean.

Liked: 23

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but have you ensured you have the latest firmware and have you tired pressing the recessed reset button (you'll need a paperlicp to do so)? I have had instances where it appeared bricked but when pressing and holding the reset the unit then started to respond to buttons.

HTH.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 442

Easy test to see the problem is plug the replay in via USB if it turns on with it plugged in but not when unplugged its the battery disconnect issue.

I have also had mine not start a couple times and need the paper clip restart.

Easy way to avoid this problem is mount it to you helmet then you get to be the shock absorber for the camera.

I have seen many more replay die from being plugged into a generator power supply rather than clean power. That killed mine twice in the beginning, not vibration.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Easy test to see the problem is plug the replay in via USB if it turns on with it plugged in but not when unplugged its the battery disconnect issue.

I have also had mine not start a couple times and need the paper clip restart.

Easy way to avoid this problem is mount it to you helmet then you get to be the shock absorber for the camera.
    This was the main giveaway for me that it was the battery connection that was fault. It didn't charge via USB and the second USB was disconnected, the camera went dead. Same as with my 2 previous specimens. The replacement works ok and I'm looking forward for next wednesday event. I noticed the replacement has better seal with the rear cap. Lets hope that it's not the only improvement they've made

btw. for those nerds that are interested in SD card performance: Formatting the filesystem in a way that it matches SD card memory blocks used will give substancial improvement in write speeds. Mine went from sub 2Meg/sec to 6+Meg/sec (which I think is the limit of my SD card reader). Btw. seems that the camera maxes out writing via _USB_ at about 2Meg/sec. So don't worry if your write tests via USB to camera don't exceed that. The camera can still write at higher speed the data it records.

Have a look at: http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...aligning-FAT32

Thread Information