ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Head and Neck Restraint vs No Head and Neck Restraint

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 908

One more example of why to neveer get into a race car without one.

No matter what your choice.

Liked: 4

The incar shot of Danica going almost straight into the wall at Datona was incredible. Her head just bobbed for a nano second.
    God bless Jim Downing.
    Ed

Liked: 444

This view shows how slow they were going...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

Liked: 9

That is very scary. It may end my instructing in a car without harnesses.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh View Post
    That is very scary. It may end my instructing in a car without harnesses.
    I'm surprised you would get in a car, with a novice, without one.

Liked: 594

we'll never know if my HANS saved my life or not........I pulled about 29 Gs.......anybody know the average G force that it takes to cause a basilar skull fracture? Gs figured by mass, deceleration distance and time from impact to stoppage..... if I've got the math right

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    we'll never know if my HANS saved my life or not........I pulled about 29 Gs.......anybody know the average G force that it takes to cause a basilar skull fracture?
    More at play than a simple G Force number. You can survive incredibly high G forces over an extremely short period of time. The longer the time, the lower the G force number.

The NASCAR test is 68g over a period of less than .06 seconds. The SFI 38.1 Spec requires a 68g deceleration and force is measured over the first 0 to 80 milliseconds and then again from 80 to 120 milliseconds with the later allowing a higher amount of force to be exerted on the upper neck.

yes. agree. mere Gs is an incomplete concept. force measured as N, which I'll guess is Newtons, comes closer. figures around 4900 N, can be expected to cause basilar skull fracture, below 4100 N maybe, HANS seemed to limit < 1500 N. I'm no expert

Just as one would know to get new bolts that bolt in your seat belts after a serious stoppage, I believe one should get their HANS looked at / recertified by Downing Atlanta after its perhaps saving your neck. Well, mine came back today and I am happy to say that this makes me a little more ready to get back out there.

Liked: 80

three days ago marked the 40th "anniversary" of my breaking two cervical vertebrae when i spun in some oil and crashed the ff i was driving at sears point.

i'd wager that if i had a hans device i most likely wouldn't have broken those vertebrae. probably wouldn't have ended up with four vertebrae fused in my neck either.

anybody who gets into a racecar without hans device is a fool.

bob hubbard made a very similar remark to me ini '89 when he and downing were trying to persuade drivers to start wearing his device,

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Any one know if Skippy Racing Schools are requiring H&N devices now.When my buddy and I went to the the Formula Skippy 3 day race school in Formula Skip Barbers in 2007 at LRP. We had no race cars,hell..we had nomex and helmets...but no HANS. Given some of the offs we had during practice(lol) I guess we were extremely lucky.

They started us out on the autocross course to get used to the cars....and I remember the chief instructor telling us to fly down the straight as fast as we could,lock the brakes and spin a 360 deg turn to demonstrate what would happen.

I surely hope that they now require their students to have(or rent) a H&N device!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by flat tappet View Post
    Any one know if Skippy Racing Schools are requiring H&N devices now.When my buddy and I went to the the Formula Skippy 3 day race school in Formula Skip Barbers in 2007 at LRP. We had no race cars,hell..we had nomex and helmets...but no HANS. Given some of the offs we had during practice(lol) I guess we were extremely lucky.

They started us out on the autocross course to get used to the cars....and I remember the chief instructor telling us to fly down the straight as fast as we could,lock the brakes and spin a 360 deg turn to demonstrate what would happen.

I surely hope that they now require their students to have(or rent) a H&N device!
    If their race weekends are anything to go by, they don't.

I was at NOLA in March, and while most were using H&N devices, there was no requirement.

Liked: 0

Don't EVER get in a race car without one. Believe me, they work.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

They also protect from internal decapitation. Your head & neck hyper extend forward in high impacts. Everything stretches except your brain stem to spinal cord area. It also provides some side impact protection which can easily sever the spinal cord, which, sadly, I have seen on several occasions. Wear head & neck supports. There minor discomfort is far outweighed by the protection the provide.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member Snakedriver's Avatar

Default No HNR

As of March 14 the Skippy school does not require any HNR.

Leo
    1965 Cooper T-75
    1966 Morgan 4/4
    2009 Lotus Elise Type 25

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
    As of March 14 the Skippy school does not require any HNR.

Leo
    What was the logic behind that decision?
    -Nick

Contributing Member Snakedriver's Avatar

That may have been misleading. It would have been less ambigous to say:

I attened the Skippy 3 day formula course in March of 2014. HNR were NOT required as of that date.

Apoligies for the confusion.

Leo
    1965 Cooper T-75
    1966 Morgan 4/4
    2009 Lotus Elise Type 25

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by NPalacioM3 View Post
    What was the logic behind that decision?
    At least when I drove a skippy car the belt spacing was incredibly wide. Wide enough that the Hans I had back then was hard pressed to be under the belts. This was for the three day school cars and not the series cars.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

I did a Skip Barber race weekend at NOLA Motorsports Park, New Orleans in March...

...and no HNR was required.

Thread Information