Liked: 39

Default Removing paint from Carbon Fiber

I have a tub that I would like to strip down to bare cf. Anyone have any experience or tricks for this? Or should I just leave it and put some vinyl overtop?
    Thanks, Jeff

Liked: 278

Sandpaper on a DA. 120 grit should do it.

Liked: 107

Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    I have a tub that I would like to strip down to bare cf. Anyone have any experience or tricks for this? Or should I just leave it and put some vinyl overtop?
    Thanks, Jeff
    not with cars, but with cycling. the general consensus is you can strip (mechanically/sand) down "almost" to bare, but never to bare. so take some off in order to do good prep and then paint over top the remaining top coat(s).

the only possible benefit to taking it down to bare would be weight reduction in paint thickness.... and the risk is damage to the composite structure. which raises the question as to the composite... if the top layer of cloth is cosmetic only, then it might not be too risky taking it down to bare, but again - why bother?

anyways, everyone i know just takes the paint down about to 30-60% left remaining, then prep and paints over it.

sand blasting isn't recommended as its too easy to cut down into the composite and do damage, better done "by hand"

and chemical strippers "could" damage/impregnante into the composite with who knows what composite used. so - sand by hand / hand machine. don't use a scrapper to get up under it that could cut and delaminate.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 0

Hey Jeff,
    The posts so far are pretty spot on. It is really what you should avoid that is important here. You don't want to cut into the CF so going down to near stripped or primer is your safest bet. Every layer of a tub is considered structural so avoid compromising it at all costs. No chemical strippers really just because the next paint job will be compromised not the CF. Epoxy is pretty chemical resistant.

Good luck!

Steve Maxwell
    CCE Composites

Liked: 123

I've seen it done well by a really good media blaster operator using walnut shells, or similar very mild abrasive. Maybe soda, and wash the residue off with water.

Brian

Liked: 757

Some good advice here - the only thing I would add or reinforce is if you sand the paint off please be very very careful! If you can sand down to the tubs first primer paint layer that would be ideal.

Liked: 1397

Years ago, the practice in Indy was to blast the tubs with walnut shells. I don't know if this is still the practice or not. The process would remove the paint and the primer but did not cut into the tub itself. It did dull the tub surface. Sand or glass bead are way too aggressive.

Liked: 1864

Done all the time by the pros using baking soda or walnut shells ( if my memory is correct on the media). Not a big deal at all if your local sand blaster has experience doing it.

If he doesn't, go find someone who does!

Thanks for all the answers guys. After looking at it again tonight, it looks like only 2 layers of paint. I originally thought it was more. I was just curious if there was an easy, safe way to do it. I will likely just remove the old decals and put vinyl overtop. This is just a track day/libre club car, so shaving off a few pounds in paint is not worth the risk.

Again thanks for all the advice.
    Jeff

Liked: 27

I have safely stripped CF with Captain Lee's chemical stripper. Does a nice job, but I must add that I've stripped LOT'S of old Corvettes and have used just about every stripper out there so I have lot's of experience with it and this is the only one I trust.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 7

Hey Jeff,

Just curious what's the car that you're looking to restore?

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaRacer View Post
    Hey Jeff,

Just curious what's the car that you're looking to restore?
    It's a pro formula Mazda car that's getting converted into a bike engined car. Zx10r to be specific

Liked: 22

Go to a professional media blaster with experience in removing paint from Carbon. I do some car restoration on the side, my media blaster was working on
    Pagani Zonda when I picked up a car a few months ago.

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    I have safely stripped CF with Captain Lee's chemical stripper. Does a nice job, but I must add that I've stripped LOT'S of old Corvettes and have used just about every stripper out there so I have lot's of experience with it and this is the only one I trust.
    You've got to be very careful with strippers...
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    Totally correct... I've tried chemical strippers on Gel coat but not Carbon stuff and it turned the surface into goo,,,
    Last edited by veefan; 10.31.14 at 7:52 AM.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    They've cost me thousands and almost my marriage.....
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 27

AHH HAAA ! LOL. JohnPaul we were talking about CHEMICAL strippers, but yes in my younger days I learned to move fast with both types !

I have never encountered gell coat on CF. When using Cap'n Lee's , I use water rinse when finished stripping, a light wet sand to remove any residue, THEN a final rinse with lacquer thinner. Also good to let air dry at least overnight. Oh, yea, do it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

We use acetone to wipe the bugs off the wing's leading edge. May be safer for use on C.F. ? I also use denatured alcohol for the last wipe down before painting. No residue.

Please post some before, during & after photos of you project. Enquiring minds want to see.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    AHH HAAA ! LOL. JohnPaul we were talking about CHEMICAL strippers, .
    lol I know...my attempt at comedy

Liked: 19

Now removing paint from stirppers!!!!! Think we covered the carbon fiber removal.....

PS hopefully my last nonsensical/non-car technical entry on the speed ..... fun though!!

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

don't know of it's in a previous post, and I don't know how it fairs on carbon fiber, but easy Off oven cleaner seems to work on fiberglass

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Modo View Post
    Now removing paint from stirppers!!!!! Think we covered the carbon fiber removal.....

PS hopefully my last nonsensical/non-car technical entry on the speed ..... fun though!!
    Come on Modo

Stay frosty

Dependin on ya son!
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Liked: 80

Default you need some serious help....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    They've cost me thousands and almost my marriage.....
    my professional training was in clinical psychology. i can see that you have seriously politically incorrect issues.

i will provide an account number into which you will deposit seriously large amounts of cash.

this may not help you but it will help me and that's the most important thing in a therapeutic relationship.

should you not comply forthwith you will be visited by my daughter. she packs a glock professionally and will see to it that you will be cured, one way or another.

yours in absolute sincerity.......

Quote Originally Posted by marc sproule View Post
    my professional training was in clinical psychology. i can see that you have seriously politically incorrect issues.

i will provide an account number into which you will deposit seriously large amounts of cash.

this may not help you but it will help me and that's the most important thing in a therapeutic relationship.

should you not comply forthwith you will be visited by my daughter. she packs a glock professionally and will see to it that you will be cured, one way or another.

yours in absolute sincerity.......

lol , what the????? is being called politically incorrect supposed to be a bad thing?

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    lol , what the????? is being called politically incorrect supposed to be a bad thing?
    JP, Marc is pulling your leg with an artful mix of concern trolling, Nigerian Prince fraud and po-po threats. It's the first time I've seen that particular mix.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Thread Information