Thread: What the ?

Liked: 0

Default What the ?

Hi guys my names cameron i may be new here but i have been around to many many forums to try to find out what i have.lets just say ive been to the DIY go kart forum bobs4cycle and f500 forum i have been trying to find out what i have a few people brought up the idea that it was a malibu grand prix kart but it looks nothing like one .It looks more like a formula 440 with a Kawasaki 440a with an aftermarket shroud

Liked: 896

Definitely not a F440. It really does look like some sort of concession car. Note that it has shock absorbers and a live axle with a differential on the secondary clutch.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1417

I am fond of the backwards wing, though.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1896

Start it up and rev the piss out of it for 30 minutes. If it makes an ungodly annoying sound and billowes clouds of smoke, killing any bug within 125 feet, it's probably a F440.

Disclaimer: I know zip about 440's
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    I am fond of the backwards wing, though.
    do not look at me i did not do it

The engine is a Polaris thats about all i know and the exhaust is an old style y shape like they used for the 440 as one of the scca rules
    the guy i got it from said its a
    SCCA SNYR Formula 440 Race Kart Sprint custom

More pics
    It has an electric start like the 500s
    Last edited by SoldierBoy; 10.28.14 at 7:18 PM.

bump

I'll be up front with you, and hopefully not too blunt.

In the past, a few people have come to ApexSpeed looking to see what they have, what they bought, what they might buy from the guy in town on Craigslist, or what something might be on eBay. Often, they aren't happy with the responses. The underlying questions that are never asked are also usually, "what is this thing worth?" and "can I race it if I buy it?"

The answers are simple, if not disappointing.

It's worth only what you are willing to pay for it. And no, you can't race it anywhere in organized competition. It was designed to be a recreational "fun kart" usually found at your typical entertainment & tourist destination, like the previously mentioned Malibu Grand Prix.

They are NOT purpose-built race cars. They are not safely constructed. They are not worth anything unless you plan to play with it around your neighborhood. The body might look cool hanging in a sports bar somewhere, or the chassis might make a fine base for a sim seat if it were cleaned up a bit.

The car you have looks like it could be form any one of those entertainment karting tracks from the 70s or 80s, and doesn't look like time has treated it well. Not a lot there that looks salvageable or safe. I wouldn't even trust the tires at anything above 10mph.

If there is anyone on the forum that disagrees with me, please feel to interject. I feel bad for the guys who bring these cars here thinking that they might be something they are really not, but it's the hard truth. I hope you didn't spend too much on it if you did actually buy it.

doug

Liked: 7

WFO Gas Monkey doughnut fodder

Please post video
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierBoy View Post
    Southern NY region
    Maybe it came from a recreational ride at an arcade or playland type place but never seen anything like that at a sanctioned event. I have been a tech inspector for a few years.

Guessing the wing was flipped about for transport.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Carve out a dirt track in your backyard and go have some fun ! You might be able to 'race' it at local kart track ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

I live in Los Angeles ,CA I am only trading a china go kart with a 5.5hp engine and a dirt track go kart with a tecumseh 6.5hp engine that pushes 15hp there not worth much.To me if i can find a collector for one considering they were not open to the public to buy at any point in time that and the fact that there practically extinct.Maybe someone will buy it for there childhood i do not know but thank you everyone for the help.I will go race it at willow springs raceway in mojave california
    Ps I am a speed demon you have to have some big kahunas to take a 32hp 400 pound Mini cup down the street at 120 mph

Liked: 229

Ps I am a speed demon you have to have some big kahunas to take a 32hp 400 pound Mini cup down the street at 120 mph
    Not really doing stuff like that some times you get labeled as Road Kill.

There is a reason they have corner workers and ambulance crews at speed events at race tracks.
    You can ask some of the other apexer's why it is nice to have track workers.

Liked: 757

Can 32bhp push 400lbs to 120mph!?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Downhill with a tailwind
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Not sure if it would do 120mp if you dropped it out of an airplane.

Liked: 7

...I will go race it at willow springs raceway in mojave california
    "We’re going through!” The Commander’s voice was like thin ice breaking. He wore his full-dress uniform, with the heavily braided white cap pulled down rakishly over one cold gray eye. “We can’t make it, sir. It’s spoiling for a hurricane, if you ask me.” “I’m not asking you, Lieutenant Berg,” said the Commander. “Throw on the power lights! Rev her up to 8,500! We’re going through!” The pounding of the cylinders increased: ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa. The Commander stared at the ice forming on the pilot window. He walked over and twisted a row of complicated dials. “Switch on No. 8 auxiliary!” he shouted. “Switch on No. 8 auxiliary!” repeated Lieutenant Berg. “Full strength in No. 3 turret!” shouted the Commander. “Full strength in No. 3 turret!” The crew, bending to their various tasks in the huge, hurtling eight-engined Navy hydroplane, looked at each other and grinned. “The Old Man’ll get us through,” they said to one another. “The Old Man ain’t afraid of Hell!” . . .

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/19...walter-mitty-2
    High downforce mini-indee body is bound to help
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Liked: 941

You may have an older "concession car" from the mid 1970's. There was a "Mini Indy Grand Prix" track in Ontario, CA that ran them. It may have been built by Don Edmunds AutoResearch in Santa Ana. Autoresearch is gone, but Edmunds is still around. I think AutoResearch more than 90+ of them and sold them to amusement park operators around the country as part of a franchise. Mario endorsed them in their earliest days.

I thought they were much better and faster than the Malibu GP cars. I think you could have fun with it as an autocrosser. The right pipe and tuning will make good power.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Not sure if it would do 120mp if you dropped it out of an airplane.
    v

I live in Los Angeles ,CA I am only trading a china go kart with a 5.5hp engine and a dirt track go kart with a tecumseh 6.5hp engine that pushes 15hp there not worth much.To me if i can find a collector for one considering they were not open to the public to buy at any point in time that and the fact that there practically extinct.Maybe someone will buy it for there childhood i do not know but thank you everyone for the help.I will go race it at willow springs raceway in mojave california
    The engine is a Polaris thats about all i know and the exhaust is an old style y shape like they used for the 440 as one of the scca rules
    the guy i got it from said its a
    New guy here, just wanted to help y'all out.....
    Soldierboy does NOT own that kart. He don't even have it at his house. It's still for sale out in Los Angeles. His mini cup..... NEVER saw 120mph..... At least not while he had it. This is someone who puts TWO cans of octane booster in ONE GALLON of gas.... I'm a member of another forum, where he aggravates the he'll out of us with this kind of childish behavior. How many of you fine gentlemen wasted time looking for info on this kart of "his"..... We all did too.... And he got on 4 other forums,asking the same stuff..... About a kart he doesn't even have. You might think I'm just bashing on the poor dude, but, I'm really just giving y'all a heads up......
    I'm posting a link to the other forum, so you can see what I'm talking about. He goes by "birdfinatic" on that forum.... Search for his threads/posts and you will see what I mean.....
    You guys have a great sites, and I'll be back when I step up to more power. But for now, I got enough projects and crap on my plate. Don't want to deal with "bird" on this forum too..... http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27427

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    You may have an older "concession car" from the mid 1970's. There was a "Mini Indy Grand Prix" track in Ontario, CA that ran them. It may have been built by Don Edmunds AutoResearch in Santa Ana. Autoresearch is gone, but Edmunds is still around. I think AutoResearch more than 90+ of them and sold them to amusement park operators around the country as part of a franchise. Mario endorsed them in their earliest days.

I thought they were much better and faster than the Malibu GP cars. I think you could have fun with it as an autocrosser. The right pipe and tuning will make good power.
    That looks indeed like one of the early Eldon Rasmussen concession cars that were later copied by MGP. Telltale sign is Dana golf cart live axle. Heavy. Original mgp cars had Sachs 294 wankle power later retrofitted to Kaw 440 twins.

Liked: 24

That must have been a big increase in performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    That looks indeed like one of the early Eldon Rasmussen concession cars that were later copied by MGP. Telltale sign is Dana golf cart live axle. Heavy. Original mgp cars had Sachs 294 wankle power later retrofitted to Kaw 440 twins.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

and to think i checked out this forum because i was bored with the Chinook thread!

one might find delight in compiling some of the more bizzaro threads in AS

i might just try out the F600 section next

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 226

No post. Sorry to bump this waste of time thread.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

the waste of time is what is so compelling!

Thread Information