Liked: 17

Default March 718 FFord info sought

Hi
    I hope one of you can assist me with getting some info
    I am attending Motorsport college in the UK and have an opportunity to work with a couple of racing guys to get some experience both hands on "spannering" in the shop and at the races and I have been told to buy the Carroll Smith Books to read and I need to look at using my initiative and do some research for problem solving.

From the last point I have been given the task by the owner of the March 718 he has bought and imported from East coast USA with tracking down some previous owner info and maybe some period race day photos.
    The plan is to assist and be "on board" with the restoration of the car and I can use this project as a base for some college work and add to my CV

What we know so far
    March 718-1 is the ex works March Formula Ford car raced in 70 and 71 in the UK by Bill Stone.
    Sometime between 1972 and 1973 the March is sold out of the UK into USA but to whom we do not know.

The 2 log books are in the post but I do have a photo of the front covers with hand written names address on the cover
    1 book is Race Car Club Of America with the name W Shafer Bailey Ave Oakland NJ I have googled the location to see it is north of NYC

1 book is SCCA with a name of Michael PO Box Audubon 08106 with a telephone number area code 609 putting it in Pleasantville near Atlantic city

Log book has the number 026 020 and the roll hoop is also stamped with this ID number which I am told is the SCCA number

The last owner Frank Maderi bought the car late 1988 raced it from 89 and he was also residing in the NY area. The car was painted Orange when he acquired it but he ran the car in grey primer as the car was sent to UK.
    The tube frame chassis was painted dark blue but the car was originally battle ship grey when it was raced by Bill Stone.

The current owner has this past few days had contact from a guy in NZ who has acquired a WME March 729 chassis and with the exchange of basic March info turns out to have loaned to Bill Stone 2 years ago before the past away 18 months ago his lotus 69 to race and he was told a few things about this car being special with round tube construction compare dteh the production run of square tube.
    Bill"s widow has also found some old 70/71 race photos which are great to look at and will assist with the cars restoration to its 70- 71 specification.

So I am hoping some of you can shed some light on the Log book info I have so far and when the books arrive I can look inside for some more info dates races etc?

I have stripped the chassis down and it is now sandblasted and I can see there has been a lot of accident damage and some yukky repair work to both the engine bay and the front left hand side. both the front tubes are heavily distorted squeezed out of shape so again I am hoping someone may know when the car was crashed.

I attach some photos for reference and any info will be appreciated in posting here or mail me direct 718march(AT)gmail.com
    I will check in from time to time as the new term at college beckons.
    Photos show the chassis logbooks and the car in the March stores in 70 or 71.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chassis front.jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	48232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chassis rear.jpeg 
Views:	202 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	48233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandblasted.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	48234  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log book.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	48235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car in stores.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	48236  

Bodywork photos in case you recognise it and the name on engine cover

Name:	body.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	48237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eng cover.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	48238  

Liked: 229

Louis Rettenmeier had a shop in Connecticut he raced in super Vee series and was Sponsored by Paul Newman Salad dressing.

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

The first 3 numbers of the log book number identify the SCCA Region that issued the logbook and assigned the number to the frame. In this case 026 refers to SCCA Region 26 which is the Northern New Jersey Region. I assume 020 means it was the 20th car they assigned a number to in that region. FYI My log book number issued in the mid 80's is 026-628.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

the regions were re-numberd a while back. I havent run across a translator....

Thanks guys great info very useful
    Keep the info coming it all adds to my education

Liked: 2

The Race Car Club of America (RCCA) is now known as Formula Race Car Club of America (FRCCA). Here is their website- http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com/

AJ Pugliese is the founder of RCCA/FRCCA. He posts on this forum under the name "Bud Pug". Check out the FRCCA section under the racing organizations section of this forum. He may be able to help you id the owner who raced with RCCA. RCCA/FRCCA races in the PA/NJ/NY/CT area and Summit Point. Audubon, NJ is south Jersey, Philadelphia suburbs, so it sounds like the car spent some time in this area.

Cheers, Ralph
    Ralph Kennedy
    1981 TIGA FF

I did send an email to the race car club of america thru their website to pursue your man AJ Pugliese but not had a reply
    About to pursue the SCCA see what they throw up.
    Last edited by march718; 09.29.14 at 9:50 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Default Mystery March

You could also try EMRA as I think they have some records or recollection of the American Chapter of the Liverpool Motor Club. Could be some connection.
    I own a Mallock MK 4 that they suspected was at one time owed and raced by Geoffrey Hunt,
    the founder of the New York Chapter (Liverpool Motor Club).
    If I remember correctly they also had records of one member racing a March.

Good Luck,

Christopher Bernard

Liked: 223

Default log books

Log books should have a record of any crash damage noted. That is assuming it was crashed when running in a sanctioned event requiring a log book entry.

John

Liked: 11

Default March FF

In 1972 /73 I was working for The Race shop in Midland Park NJ. we were the March Dealer At that time .The only March FF that was around belonged to a fellow in NY city. Ron Canazaris not sure of the spelling. It was yellow or light orange. the guys called it Fat Albert. Joe Gramaldi was the owner of the shop

Airhead Thanks for info very interesting- i assume Rod Canazaris is the guy that later raced Can am 2 litre March F2 car circa 83/84?
    When Frank got the car in 88 ish he said the body was orange
    It does sound like the car stayed in the NY NJ area as the last owner was in Oakland NY and the other was Audubon NY.
    I am waiting to get the log books to see what other names or references are there

ChristopherBernard Can you direct me to the EMRA club site not familiar with your car clubs

I have emailed SCCA not had a response from them nor the F RCCA / AJ Pugliese which is frustrating but I guess I need to be patient!
    I doubt anyone would have any idea of a website to find photos of cars racing in the NY area
    Keep any info coming guys & thanks all to date

Log books have arrived
    SCCA
    Rear of book for change of owners
    M Cannizaro selling 26 Jan 75 to M. F. Hayes
    M.F.Hayes selling 30 Jan 82 to L Watkins
    L Watkins selling 20 Feb 85 to N. Michael ( I believe this is Nathan Michael from what i can read in the book)

7 12 1975 races at Thomson with Michael F Hayes
    76 races
    5/6 June Glen Regionals
    16/17 Oct Pocono regionals

the next name dates are in 1982
    with what looks like Larry Walkins
    June 11 Pocono Solo I/ Neg
    3/4/5 July 82 Tribute 82 Regional Summit

3/4/5 Sept 83 MARRS V11
    its written in book left front suspension broken

next date is 1985
    30 June Solo I assume this means sprinting not racing
    driver N H Michael ( this is obviously the name on front cover Michael of Audobon NY)
    14 July Northapton Solo
    28 July
    15 Sept
    20 Oct
    cant read the handwriting for the names of circuit

13 May 86 Nelson Driver school
    1 Sept Marr V & VI

25/26 April 87 MARSS I book has Washington DC SCCA stamp

Race Car Club of America log book
    Change of owner page
    Bob Shafer selling Oct 87 to Greg Jezarian
    Gregory M Jezarian to Frank Maderi no date but I assume winter of 1989

11 July 87 Bridgehampton George W Shaffer
    25 July Thomson
    22 Aug Thomson
    5/6 Sept Pocono Fast Master
    17/18 Oct Laguna Bays

6 April 88 Bridgehampton (school) Gregory Jezarian
    30 April Pocono 1.5
    21 May Pocono 1.1
    11 June Pocono 1.6
    9 July Bridgehampton
    6 Aug Bridgehampton
    3 Sept Pocono 3.3
    17 Sept Thomson
    9 Oct Bridgehampton
    few races Pocono Bridge with no dates

9 July Bridgehampton
    29 July Thomson
    31 Aug Bridgehampton
    21 Sept Pocono 3.3
    7 Oct Bridgehampton

11 March Laguna Bays Frank Maderi
    Lime Rock

So to recap line of ownership/ drivers

M.Cannizaro selling to Michael F Hayes 26 Jan 1975
    Michael F Hayes selling to Larry Watkins 30Jan 1982
    Larry Watkins selling to Nathan H Michael 20 Feb 1985

Nathan Michael selling to Shafer sometime in after 26 April 87 to George Shafer to race July 87
    Bob Shafer selling to Gregory M Jezarian Oct 87
    Greg Jezarian selling to Frank Maderi late 89 early 1990

I cannot fully understand the name Shafer as the log book looks like it is Wshafer on the cover as oppossed to W Shafer
    Even the driver signature inside George Wshafer yet I have googled the name Wshafer and nothing comes up

Greg Jezarian I have found as the Fifth Ave NYC jeweller and ex racer
    I presume it was his father who raced the car
    emails have been sent to Greg via his website but if anyone knows him let me know

SO do any of you know the names
    M.Cannizaro
    Michael F Hayes
    Larry Watkins
    Nathan Michael
    George Bob Wshafer Shafer

any info will be helpful ideally to gain more car data and photos
    Thanks

Default update info

I have just had reply back from Greg Jezarian
    he confirms his father raced this March and bought it from Bob Ulshafer which is a relief n the spelling of the name as i can now see the Wshafer is in fact U L close together gave the W !
    Also confirms car was British racing green and they repainted it orange and the chassis they painted blue as it is now.
    So George Ulshafer raced the car in 1987.
    Last edited by march718; 10.18.14 at 10:23 AM.

Default more updates

Thanks to Airhead his memory throwing up Ron Canizares.
    Tracked Ron down last night in Fl and he confirmed he had this car and sold it to Matthew Cannizaris ( phonetically the same name but no relation) so now i have nail down first car owner and previous to last owners
    Now seeking to contact the rest and namely Larry Watkins as he seems to be the man who shunted the car left front suspension and the chassis has major repair work.

So do any of your East Coast New Yorker Pennsylvanian racers mechanics know the names
    Matthew Cannizaris 1973-75
    Michael Hayes 1975-82
    Larry Watkins 1982-85
    Nathan Michael 1985-87

Default update 3

More info Ron Canizares has advised me he bought the car from Frank del Vecchio

I have googled and found a Frank D V at Acumen motorsport I have sent a message to him but as of now not had a reply
    Do any of you know this nam or know Frank?

Liked: 0

Default Frank del vecchio

FRANK CAN BE REACHED AT
    fdelvecchio@earthlink.net.

ASK HIM ABOUT THE GREAT RACE AT SUMMITT POINT WHEN THE CAR RAN A RENAULT MOTOR

Thanks tracked Frank down and has sent a photo of the car in the rain at that race
    He said he was on his Honeymoon !

Still looking for info or contact for these other owners
    Matthew Cannizaris 73-75
    Michael F Hayes 75-82
    Larry Watkins 82-85
    George Ulshafer 85-87 ( located him on Farcebook)
    Last edited by march718; 10.30.14 at 1:06 PM.

Frank Del Vecchio sent this photo of him racing the car at Summit Point 1972.
    Still keen to obtain more info and photos if any one has some let me know

Name:	IMSA F-100 Race 1971 Summit Point.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	49378  

Thread Information