Liked: 0

Default SR3 Open Aluminum Trailer?

Can any recommend a reasonably priced lightweight open aluminum trailer that could tow a SR3? I'm not looking to tow all around the country just locally within 200-500 miles or less.

I'm hoping to not buy a big truck/full size SUV so that's why I prefer something that's around 1,000-1500 pounds so I can tow the trailer and car with a medium size SUV (BMW X5 etc).

Are there certain brands/models that are favorites? What's the minimum length/width for a trailer to safely tow a SR3? I don't need to haul a bunch of extra gear maybe just a tire rack for an extra set of wheels/tires

Thanks!

Liked: 8

Default Trailer considerations

With an SR3, clearance will be critical. Most open trailers will not allow you to load the car easily with the one inch of ground clearance. Open trailers typically have a higher ground clearance than enclosed ones....and this is detrimental to you.

If you consider an open trailer be sure and get one that has a very (VERY!) low bed height. A beaver tail will also be of benefit, but even that will cause the car to drag while loading/unloading. Trailers that use leaf springs are cheaper to buy but require greater height for the springs. You should look for rubber torsion suspension which will allow as much as 6 inches less height. As well, you will need much longer ramps than normally come with an open trailer....you need to be sure you can build (and store) a much longer rear ramp setup.

Here is a link to a thread on the sportsracer forum. You will see, even with a low trailer, that as much as 20 feet of ramps are needed.

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/9871/...onto-a-trailer

I might suggest you look into a set of transport wheels which will raise the height of your car to give you additional clearance for loading.

if you read the forum link above you will see there is NO easy way to load these cars...
    For me, I use the ramp door with 4 foot extension flap. on my 32 foot enclosed with torsion suspension and 10 foot beaver tail. This gives me 13 feet of ramp to take me from the ground to 20 inches of trailer height. And my SR4 just barely clears.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

We built a very low, light-weight trailer many years ago for a friend. He has it sitting unused in his back yard. I've sent him an email to see if he wants to sell.

It's a copy of a Formula Star trailer which uses the sides as a stressed member rather than tubes under the deck. Keeps the deck very low. Has a Torsion axle, brakes, tongue jack, parking brake, ramps, tire storage, gas can storage. I'm thinking it's well under 1000#...

I would imagine with ramp extensions you'd be able to load your car fairly easily.

Located around Tucson, AZ.

We still have the build drawings somewhere if your interested in seeing them.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 41

I would be interested in the plans if available. Need a trailer for my new build. Fabrication is no problem.
    Thanks, John Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    We built a very low, light-weight trailer many years ago for a friend. He has it sitting unused in his back yard. I've sent him an email to see if he wants to sell.

It's a copy of a Formula Star trailer which uses the sides as a stressed member rather than tubes under the deck. Keeps the deck very low. Has a Torsion axle, brakes, tongue jack, parking brake, ramps, tire storage, gas can storage. I'm thinking it's well under 1000#...

I would imagine with ramp extensions you'd be able to load your car fairly easily.

Located around Tucson, AZ.

We still have the build drawings somewhere if your interested in seeing them.
    Yes would definitely be interested. Thanks for all the great info. I know these cars are incredibly low. This is my first time buying something that requires a truck trailer so I'm starting from square 1 on how to transport a SR3.

I'll likely have to do this by myself or maybe with the help of a friend if he makes it to the same track days. If anyone has a tried and true method I'd love to know about it.

In the Radical forum I like the method the user "Charley" employs with the 114" race ramps and a winch. I'm not sure if that would work for an open bed trailer though.

Keep the ideas coming!
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10.23.14 at 8:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownslane View Post
    With an SR3, clearance will be critical. Most open trailers will not allow you to load the car easily with the one inch of ground clearance. Open trailers typically have a higher ground clearance than enclosed ones....and this is detrimental to you.

If you consider an open trailer be sure and get one that has a very (VERY!) low bed height. A beaver tail will also be of benefit, but even that will cause the car to drag while loading/unloading. Trailers that use leaf springs are cheaper to buy but require greater height for the springs. You should look for rubber torsion suspension which will allow as much as 6 inches less height. As well, you will need much longer ramps than normally come with an open trailer....you need to be sure you can build (and store) a much longer rear ramp setup.

Here is a link to a thread on the sportsracer forum. You will see, even with a low trailer, that as much as 20 feet of ramps are needed.

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/9871/...onto-a-trailer

I might suggest you look into a set of transport wheels which will raise the height of your car to give you additional clearance for loading.

if you read the forum link above you will see there is NO easy way to load these cars...
    For me, I use the ramp door with 4 foot extension flap. on my 32 foot enclosed with torsion suspension and 10 foot beaver tail. This gives me 13 feet of ramp to take me from the ground to 20 inches of trailer height. And my SR4 just barely clears.

Best, Tom
    Thanks for sharing the link, I read through it and it is very helpful. Are there any trailers out there specifically built for sports racers with low ground clearance? How do most weekend warrior racers transport SR or formula cars?

Also what are you guys using for tow vehicles? I can either try and get a mid size SUV or something that I wouldn't mind driving around as a daily driver (BMW X5, RR sport) or just get a cheap truck like an older F150 or Tundra etc and essentially only use it to tow the race car. Thoughts?

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I doubt transport wheels could be used on a SR3 because of clearance under the body work. I throw a floor jack under the hitch of my E150 (better to securely haul your stuff than a F150), tow vehicle & jack the front of the trailer up until it makes the 12' loading ramp planks a straight flat shot up onto the trailer. I designed the trailer to store the planks under the car in the longitudinal center section as part of the trailer floor. Since I now do use chassis raising transport wheels on the front of my RT5 Formula S, I no longer have to tilt the trailer quite as much and can easily drive the car onto the trailer with plenty of clearance.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 2

I have been toying with the idea of something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XejIY-NB-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgDTK4pjVY

I have also seen a variant where the deck slides on the axles. Something like this but on a 18' scale with a normal pickup truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpK-_QJWkA8

Liked: 2

This is the one I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolw2smrbN4

Quote Originally Posted by Rob E View Post
    This is the one I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolw2smrbN4
    That looks awesome! Any idea what those things weigh and what the cost is?

Found this one, not sure if the angle is too steep for a Radical.

http://www.carguystl.com/2014_Car%20..._204874930.veh
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10.23.14 at 2:34 PM.

Default Here is a Good Deal

Frankly I am surprised it has not sold yet. about 30% of the tilt bed you looked at.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...386#post450386

PS it is a nice thing to finish your posts with a name. Not required but it is polite.

Tom
    Tom Owen

Frankly I am surprised it has not sold yet. about 30% of the tilt bed you looked at.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...386#post450386

PS it is a nice thing to finish your posts with a name. Not required but it is polite.

Tom
    Thanks, I contacted the seller to see if it's available. Does anyone know the minimum length and width for a trailer to accommodate a SR3? Is it 14', 16' etc?

Does anyone store an open aluminum trailer with a Radical on it in a standard 2 car garage?

I measured my garage and I have about 20' in length. Was wondering if I can get a 16' aluminum tilt trailer with a total length of just over 19' and just drive or winch the car on.

http://www.alumaklm.com/tandem-axle-...-trailers.html

Joseph
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10.24.14 at 9:14 AM.

Default Size Matters

Hi Joseph. I would suggest that 14 foot is too short. More like 16 footer needed. The challenge as I see it would be the length of the tongue of the trailer. I have seen a few trailers stored inside garages, but the garage door needed a notch cut in it to allow the tongue to stick through the door.

In other words any trailer that would carry an SR3 will (more than likely) be too long to fit in a standard length garage. My garage is 19 feet in depth and my 16 foot open trailer is 19'8". So it is 8 inches too long.

Owning a race car creates a foot print in your life. Financially, space, and time.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen

Hi Joseph. I would suggest that 14 foot is too short. More like 16 footer needed. The challenge as I see it would be the length of the tongue of the trailer. I have seen a few trailers stored inside garages, but the garage door needed a notch cut in it to allow the tongue to stick through the door.

In other words any trailer that would carry an SR3 will (more than likely) be too long to fit in a standard length garage. My garage is 19 feet in depth and my 16 foot open trailer is 19'8". So it is 8 inches too long.

Owning a race car creates a foot print in your life. Financially, space, and time.

Best, Tom
    I looked at some specs online and for a 16' bed trailer the total length was around 19 feet. I have about 20-21 feet total length in my garage so it would be close. I'm not sure if the advertised total length on manufacturers website includes the tongue or not though.

It's tough since I live in a townhouse and don't have much of a driveway. I have a large parking lot across the street where I could store an enclosed trailer but that would require a much more substantial tow vehicle and I'd be worried about theft even though I live in a fairly affluent suburb.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Roll it in tongue first. Punch a hole in the back garage wall if need be. Tell the wife it's all about theft protection. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. If it intrudes into the living space. Place a small table with a vase of flowers on top over the tongue. Women like flowers.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Roll it in tongue first. Punch a hole in the back garage wall if need be. Tell the wife it's all about theft protection. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. If it intrudes into the living space. Place a small table with a vase of flowers on top over the tongue. Women like flowers.
    I like it and my wife is pretty understanding as she tracks her M3 but a hole in the wall with a trailer sticking into the breakfast nook might get me killed.

I found a PDF of the SR3 owners manual which shows the car as 4200 mm total length which is 13.77 feet. I would think a 16 foot trailer with a 19 foot total length should fit. Then I can leave the truck outside.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Breakfast nook ! That's ez. Just move the table you already have

There are trailer tongues that are hinged for flipping up out of the way for more room ! Check on that option. Most of all, enjoy your new toy !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Breakfast nook ! That's ez. Just move the table you already have

There are trailer tongues that are hinged for flipping up out of the way for more room ! Check on that option. Most of all, enjoy your new toy !
    Thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind while shopping.

Side note. Does anyone know if RPE/Powertec does anything internally with the 1340 motor compared to a stock 1340 K8 straight out of a Hayabusa bike? I know the 1500 is completely reworked internally, curious if the 1340 is that way also.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default Formula Star trailer

Just dug up that print of the trailer we built in....geez, 1991. Can't really scan it since it's on 18 x 24 paper but it's 13'-10" deck plus 2'-9" tongue.
    Ramps were 6'-0 and stowed on the trailer. Deck width was 6'-7".
    It would be simple to extend the deck a few feet.
    Like I mentioned it was designed to carry an S2.

Simple drawing attached.
    Last edited by HayesCages; 01.04.17 at 6:02 PM.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind while shopping.

Side note. Does anyone know if RPE/Powertec does anything internally with the 1340 motor compared to a stock 1340 K8 straight out of a Hayabusa bike? I know the 1500 is completely reworked internally, curious if the 1340 is that way also.

Rods, pistons, minor rework of crank, clutch basket and internals, head work (porting) valves, springs, seats.

Otherwise, same as stock! Powertech engines do NOT have to be rebuilt by powertech; any good engine builder can do the work I would recommend George Dean; he has built 5 motors for me and every one was great. Stay away from the guy in Longmont Colo.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen

Rods, pistons, minor rework of crank, clutch basket and internals, head work (porting) valves, springs, seats.

Otherwise, same as stock! Powertech engines do NOT have to be rebuilt by powertech; any good engine builder can do the work I would recommend George Dean; he has built 5 motors for me and every one was great. Stay away from the guy in Longmont Colo.

Best, Tom
    Thanks Tom!

It sounds like the motors are fairly different if that many parts are different. If an indy motor builder rebuilds the Powertech motor do they have to order these special parts from Radical UK?

Are the motors that are rebuilt by others the same HP spec as the RPE motors?

If you don't mind would you PM me the costs of the guy you use?

Thanks

Joseph, you need to do the investigation of pricing yourself; time to build a relationship with a builder. I would stick with folks who SPECIALIZE in bike engines. Again George Dean would be my first choice (as well as most of the P1/P2 field on race day. He is meticulous, reasonably priced and will stand behind his work. A great guy and located in the Seattle area.
    Tom Owen

Joseph, you need to do the investigation of pricing yourself; time to build a relationship with a builder. I would stick with folks who SPECIALIZE in bike engines. Again George Dean would be my first choice (as well as most of the P1/P2 field on race day. He is meticulous, reasonably priced and will stand behind his work. A great guy and located in the Seattle area.
    I haven't bought the car yet, just trying to get some preliminary generic info to see what I'm getting myself into but thanks for the name, I'll check it out.

For my SR3, I had to make 10 foot ramps beyond my 6 foot trailer door. It sounds cumbersome, but it ends up being the same time and convenience as normal trailer ramps. My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by carpeforza View Post
    For my SR3, I had to make 10 foot ramps beyond my 6 foot trailer door. It sounds cumbersome, but it ends up being the same time and convenience as normal trailer ramps. My $0.02.
    Mind sharing what your deck height is? Looks like the reverse logic ramps can accommodate about a 16" deck height max. From what I've seen only enclosed trailers will have a deck height that low, thoughts?

Liked: 3

I transport my Prosport on a 6x14' open steel deckover. It tows effortlessy w/ a Toyota 4Runner Sport w/ the 4.7 V8. To accommodate the approach angle of the leading edge of the splitter I back the rear wheels of the truck on to a pair of plastic Rhino Ramps to lower the rear end of the trailer. For ramps I adapted 2 sets of lightweight steel Harbor Freight ramps w/ a 10" trestle at the mid point and a 3' length of 2x10" at the beginning.

I made a big tongue box for the trailer to hold 2 canopies, jacks, stands, fuel jugs, folding chairs and nitrogen tank. A welded square tube tire rack holds rains and spare drys and the 4Runner has loads of space for spares, tools, cooler, gear bag and one crew.

The whole rig was quite inexpensive.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    Just dug up that print of the trailer we built in....geez, 1991. Can't really scan it since it's on 18 x 24 paper but it's 13'-10" deck plus 2'-9" tongue.
    Ramps were 6'-0 and stowed on the trailer. Deck width was 6'-7".
    It would be simple to extend the deck a few feet.
    Like I mentioned it was designed to carry an S2.

Simple drawing attached.
    Good design.
    I have a steel trailer, one axle, which weights 800lb. I tow it with FF behind my Subaru WRX, no problem. It might be a bit high, but I have seen some pretty complicated ramp setup.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 5

If you are still looking for a trailer, take a look at the Ultimate Trailers web site. They are located outside of Denver. www.the-ultimate-trailers.com

If they can custom build one about 14 feet long, it would be the hot deal.

Dennis

Thread Information