Liked: 2

Default Trying to get into F600

Hello everybody my name is Raphael Santos and I am looking to make the jump from sedans to Formula. I will be attending the FUNOFFS this weekend in Georgia and checking out a members f600 car in the area. I was wondering if you guys could give me a real number on the cost to run a F600 season as well as tips and advice. The game plan is to start in F600 and maybe eventually move to Formula Enterprise because I want to drive in a spec down force car.

I am looking at few racing schools and have pretty much decided on Bridgestone Driver Academy as they are relatively cheap and they train in FE cars. Unless you guys have a better idea I would love to hear it!

I look forward to meeting some of you there.

My little experience so far...
    -Time attack for about ten years in various cars and series
    -Octane Academy contestant Season 2
    -Head Driving Instructor for a couple of exotic car schools
    -NOPI Gymkhana Winner
    -Clubloose drift events
    -Redline Time Attack East coast points chase Winner 2011
    -Karting In various clubs and leagues
    -I am really good at a plethora of racing sim video games...
    -and lastly I am a huge Formula 1 and Aryton Senna Fan

Lastly I have a very well built ST2 Subaru WRX for sale that is race ready on fresh slicks if anybody would be interested in a trade.... Just throwing it out there!

Liked: 72

Welcome! We always like to see new people interested in the class!. To start off I will post what items I spend money on.
    1) Tires are about $700.00 mounted and balanced. Depending on the track and the driver the tires will last anywhere from 2-5 races. This includes practice, qualifying ,and the race. (Test days were not included in the practice.)

2) Gas, most of us use 93 pump gas from the local gas station. Typical usage is around 12-15 gallons max.

3) Brake pads are about 150.00 per set. Depending on the driver they will last 3-5 races.

4) Oil changes range from 84.00-112.00 . Change the oil every 8-10 races.

5) Chain for the final drive 80.00- 130.00. A chain will last about 8-10 races on the final drive. If you use a jackshaft (meaning the chain doesn't go straight from the motor to the axle for packaging reasons) the jackshaft chain will last 3-4 races and costs about $60.00 in addition to the final drive chain.

6) Gears: axle gears are 65.00 each and they will last 8-10 races. Front gears are 25.00-35.00 each and will last 8-10 races.

Other than these items, you have rod ends, fuel filters, air filters, etc that you will have to eventually replace depending upon the condition the car is in when you get it.

Crash damages:
    1) A new complete body ranges from 1500.00-2500.00 before shipping

2)A front corner will range from 500.00-1200.00 depending on the car.

3)A rear axle complete assembly will range from 1500.00 to 2800.00 .

4)Wheels range from 125.00 to 200.00 each.

5)A rolling chassis will range from 14000.00 to 24000.00 .

6)Conversions from a two-stroke to a MC vary from 5000.00 to 18000.00 depending on the parts you use and your fabrication skills/resources.

7) Motors range from 300.00-3000.00 . You wont need to replace one for about 5 years or more unless you blow it up (about 60 races). A ebay motor is the motor of choice in my opinion. I put a motor in the first car we built and it had 4500 street miles on it from ebay. 1500 racing wiles later it was still within 2 points of the compression it started out with when it arrived at my door. In case your wondering, that particular car wasn't out for a sunday drive when it hit the track each and every time.

To start out in the class you will need drivers gear. Typical cost for everything you need to jump in a car will range from 1500.00 to whatever you want to spend. Most drivers have around 1800.00 tied up in their drivers equipment.

FYI ,You can rent a car to try before you buy one instead of taking a stand alone racing school or buying a car before you have driven it. The school that SCCA puts on in Georgia at Roebling Road is excellent!. A TON of track time and they bring you up to speed fairly slow. This way you can not only attain your license, but you can have the option of trying out a couple of different chassis the class has to offer. We (not the class as a whole) have four different chassis to choose from in oue rental program. One of our cars won the SARRC championship last year, two other cars came in first and second in the F600 Challenge, and the last car we have came in second at the Runoffs this year (it was the fastest MC car at the Runoffs). Each car we have has a track record.With four cars to choose from I'm pretty sure one of them would fit you.

I hope this info helps you! PM me if you need anything!

Liked: 5

And we hang out a lot at - www.formula500.org/forum.php
    Learn to become an educated consumer BEFORE you spend any money. Read all the threads here and on the other forum. Then find the nearest F5/6 drivers to your home and go get hands on experience with his car and crew for him at races until you have seen most of the different makes of cars. Renting F600's is a way to try different makes before you choose what you want. Enjoy the best bang for the buck in formula cars.

Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Clint. Thx for the concise costs report !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 18

Default Budget

R. Santos, Please PM or call 914-576-1916. I would like to let you know my input to help you make an educated choice as to what you want to do.

Hello all... We just made it home from Road Atlanta and I just wanted to say a million thanks to all of you who went out of your way to try to help me out. I cannot wait for February, I decided that I will be going to school at Roebling Road. I hope everybody gets home safe, I cannot tell you how much of a pleasure it was to meet you guys! I will definitely be in touch over the Winter. A couple of things
    - I set up a dropbox with the videos and pictures taken from my cellphone the link to it is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tiz0prgss...t.%202014?dl=0

- If you can get me your GoPro footage I would love to make a killer video for you guys to raise some awareness of how awesome the F600 challenge is.
    -I already have a to-do list of things to try/change on my car to go faster, I can't wait to start fabbing and wrenching!

Have a wonderful off-season! talk to you guys soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Pug View Post
    R. Santos, Please PM or call 914-576-1916. I would like to let you know my input to help you make an educated choice as to what you want to do.
    WILL DO!

Quote Originally Posted by progressmotorsports View Post
    Hello all... We just made it home from Road Atlanta and I just wanted to say a million thanks to all of you who went out of your way to try to help me out. I cannot wait for February, I decided that I will be going to school at Roebling Road. I hope everybody gets home safe, I cannot tell you how much of a pleasure it was to meet you guys! I will definitely be in touch over the Winter. A couple of things
    - I set up a dropbox with the videos and pictures taken from my cellphone the link to it is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tiz0prgss...t.%202014?dl=0

- If you can get me your GoPro footage I would love to make a killer video for you guys to raise some awareness of how awesome the F600 challenge is.
    -I already have a to-do list of things to try/change on my car to go faster, I can't wait to start fabbing and wrenching!

Have a wonderful off-season! talk to you guys soon!
    I am so thankful that you have volunteered to do the video compilations. We would like to do one for each race and publish the link to it with each race report press release. I will PM you for your email address.

Jim

You will find onboard videos on Youtube and Facebook pages of the active F600 Challenge Series Driver; go to the website for their names. I am very interested in seeing what you have accomplished as far as previous races.

Jim

Thread Information