Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steering racks?

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

As Guy said, Disc Brakes, Steering Racks are available in a different class along with the 1600 engine. If you think those are good options get a few cars together & start in Formula Libre as that is a good option for what some want. There is a place to race these cars here in Canada.

Once you get all the newbies on board who were not looking to go into FV due to them not having steering racks, disc brakes & a 1600 cc engine then you can have your own race group.

You don't need to try to change FV as there already is a class you are wanting.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 11.02.14 at 5:50 PM.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 105

We already have issues with getting more drivers to the track.

Any un-nessessary Modifications or rule changes will make this even worse.

Right now no cars are running racks, so if the rules were changed there would be an assumption that they are better and a required change. Which means money, time, engineering installation (no vee is the same). Those cars that are sitting in garages, barns, might sit a little longer.

Honestly from what I have heard, there is no performance advantage to having a rack on a vee (i could be wrong).

But no matter what changes are made, every time we make a change that is going to force drivers to spend more $$$, there is possibility we will effect car counts and participation.

I will agree with BamBam, if changes are made in an effort to make cars safer, then let's go for it.

If parts are not available moving forward, then yes we have to look and making changes.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Clark View Post
    With that being said, I agree it would certainly be more desirable if both F1200 and SCCA rules would coincide.
    For the most part F1200 and SCCA are very close. F1200 does not require fire suppression at this time and we run a Spec radial tire.

There are many drivers from the F1200's that ran both Canadian and US races. Many of them posting here.

I think the success of the Can-Am series this year proves that there are drivers will to cross the border to attend more races. Yes there were cars running both slicks and radials on the track at the same time, while I was not there at Watkins Glen, I understand that there was very competitive racing between all cars, regardless of what tire package they were running.

Having the rules coincide is important to success of the series.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    As much as people are not convinced that we need steering racks. I understand making major changes can be detrimental to our class. I understand and agree with all and everyone's points as to why we shouldn't change this or change that.

I'm not saying the following is the reason we need racks. There is nothing I can say or not say to convince people.

The people involved in FV or F1200 have been trying and thinking about ways to get people that have cars to come out and race for years. Guess what... it isnt working. There are probally a number of reasons. Entry fees, towing costs, don't want too, safety, etc... I dont know?

All that I know is we need to make these cars more attractive to the younger generation. This is the future of our sport. So why not try something small and see how it floats for a couple of years?
    Kevin, you are right, we do have cars with older technology, but aside of adapting and entire package like FST. My personal opinion, there is no fundamental difference.

We still have No Wings, we will still have Low HP and for the most part all our cars will look the same. At the end of the day, Costs and Time are the 2 biggest factors that driver ANY driver. There are other options for "Open Wheel" racing, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of F1200/Vee's when is comes to $$$ and time.

At the end of the day, the fundamental goal for this series, is to be entry level, cost conscious and fun.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information