Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Runoffs 2014

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Raneff5 View Post
    With Jose's permission, I edited his front facing and rear facing cameras together for this video of #14 FB.

http://youtu.be/mZBVnsMM2l4
    You sure that video isn't sped up? lol!

Nice work, too bad about the breadbox. Which is what we call the red curbs.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Do you guys really think the wee brush in T2 from my front wing end plate to Jose's LR tire did damage to his car? There is hardly a blemish on it.

G

I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread, but I had heard JG had tire warmers on pre race, which explains getting to grid when he did, and his rocket like climb up the order at the start.

Pretty crafty move from a very fast driver!

Liked: 16

I am finally starting to feel back to somewhat normal. Dang that is one long ass week, at least it was in a beautiful part of the country. It has been a long 6 years of running FB to just finish a runoffs race, winning is a huge bonus.

The testday was pretty much used to just figure out how to cool the car. The new sidepod inlets were a little small. Ted fixed that with a machete. The car cooled on Tuesday, but the sidepods resembled a brick like shape.

We then had a diff totally lock up on Wednesday and the car basically had a spool at that point. Tore the diff apart and did a temp fix for the Thursday quali.

Throughout the week we were fighting a snap oversteer and thankfully by Thursday everything pretty much came together and were able to put down a decent lap.

Thanks to Nicholas Ortiz for letting JFC take his brand new Taylor diff out of his car that is in Washington and overnight it to us for the race.

Ted Dale, Nicholas Belling and Ralph Firman worked tirelessly on the car to make sure everything was inspected, checked and readied to give us the best opportunity to finish the 20 lapper.

The race was not nearly as exciting as Loshaks victory last year, but I'll take it. Alex and I had a battle of late braking into T2, and I went wide. Thanks dude for giving me room!! That was not intentional on my part.

The track got really hot and greasy. Had a few moments trying to keep the car under me. The Kawasaki ran flawlessly, event at 230 water and 265 oil temps. I really love the reliability of the new Kawi. The dyno says they make more power, but real track performance is equal to the Suzuki. Alex and I were dead nuts even all the way to T2.

I highly recommend the motor as I think it makes a very reliable F1000 package.

A huge thanks to car owner Dan Burnett and Ralph Firman for letting me pilot their car. We got the car 3 weeks prior to the runoffs and so many people helped to get it ready.

Nicholas Belling put a ton of his own time and money into this deal as well and was paramount in all of this happening.

Dave Caswell, Jose's mechanic/engineer also helped us get the car readied in Colorado for our local testday before the race.

My mate Ted was always ready and willing to help no matter what. You da man bro.

Ralph Firman kept shipping us parts to help improve the car from the things we learned on our 2 testdays.

A few months earlier I had to sell my Citation because of financial reasons and I thought my season was done. Now we won the Runoffs. I still cant believe that everything came together in the end.

Thanks again to the F1000 community for all your well wishes and support, I truly appreciate all the kind thoughts.

Hopefully we will be at it again next year!!!

J.R.O

Liked: 896

A fantastic EFFORT and WIN JR. A big congrats to you and everyone on the team.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 66

Default Attaboy!

Way to go JR! You are a class act and it's great to see you win it all in spite of everything you went through this year.

Congrats to you, Teddy and Nicholas for a hell of an effort.

BRAVO!!

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Pretty cool, dude!

Liked: 101

Hey guys.......I'm a bit surprised on the lack of buzz for the 2015 Firman. All credit to JR, but it's still curious. Are there no longer any authorized dealers in the good ole US of A ???

Regards,
    Bill

Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Hey guys.......I'm a bit surprised on the lack of buzz for the 2015 Firman. All credit to JR, but it's still curious. Are there no longer any authorized dealers in the good ole US of A ???

Regards,

Bill
    Crickets ? Bueler, Bueler ???

Liked: 0

I checked their website http://www.rfrcars.com/contact/ and it shows an Australian dealer ( West Race Cars ) and for international has the contact details for the factory directly.

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Laguna Runoffs

I was hanging around during the laguna runoffs helping JR and Glenn cooper all week.

Ralph Firman was in the camp most of the week supporting his cars. which was very cool!

Contact the factory direct in regards to sales inquires. I did see brad baytos around the camp and I know him and his brother john are running a RFR 2L team and supplying parts for firman so he might be a source of contact as well.

If anyone has any questions about the firman they are welcome to email me or call me as I have spent many years of my life tirelessly playing with the firman F1000 cars.. I feel like I know everything their is to know about these particular cars.

It was great to see everyone track side..
    Can't wait for Daytona! see everyone soon.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Nick knows all!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thanks jay.

It was good times chatting in the beach house, wish we all had more time. Interesting to say the least having so many dynamically different characters under one roof living together.

How was that mattress in the kings palace suite for you!?? !

I thought my accommodations were ok. Took me a week to recover though.

Btw jay. You built an amazing car!!!! So happy for you and your son,
    Nicholas Belling

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    Thanks jay.

It was good times chatting in the beach house, wish we all had more time. Interesting to say the least having so many dynamically different characters under one roof living together.

How was that mattress in the kings palace suite for you!?? !

I thought my accommodations were ok. Took me a week to recover though.

Btw jay. You built an amazing car!!!! So happy for you and your son,
    Thanks a ton Nick, means a lot.

It was great fun brainstorming with someone who has so much knowledge and experience. Our talk helped me get the car better for Q3, thanks a lot. We definately need to collaborate on a race project.

My air mattress in the closet of the kings palace suite was very nice. I am JUST STARTING to recover too. Hope to see you at the races next year.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Pics

Some really nice stuff starting half way down on the first page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438129...7648298504407/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438129...8504407/page2/

this one is definitely in need of a title
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/438129...57648298504407

Liked: 7

Default "Ya Bitch!"

"You GO Now"

Rick

Liked: 551

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    I was hanging around during the laguna runoffs helping JR and Glenn cooper all week.

Ralph Firman was in the camp most of the week supporting his cars. which was very cool!

<snip>

If anyone has any questions about the firman they are welcome to email me or call me as I have spent many years of my life tirelessly playing with the firman F1000 cars.. I feel like I know everything their is to know about these particular cars.

<snip>
    What are some of the differences between the new and previous models.

Just curious. Thanks.

You bet Russ.

I like to call it the version 2.XX - I'm sure every builder will say development is ongoing from weekend to weekend!

Top of my mind while driving and typing from the mobile phone - significant changes

weight loss, side pod and floors, diffuser, wing package, removable engine bar for quick changes, suspension geometry change, wheel base change, track change, and lots of little other details.

Russ I remember you were the pioneer with kawasaki engines and f1000.. I am sure you will like to know JR and coop both drove with them. very stout and seemingly unbreakable engines - Go Kawi!
    Nicholas Belling

Default And the one in need of a title would be...."DOH!"

Too funny, Mike. Glad to see my expertise in plan view for all.

I missed the braking point in my (lame) effort to make up time, and after collecting the car due to nearly losing it from the aforementioned late braking, I decided to really make up that time by hitting the throttle early with a little more enthusiasm than normal....and there you have it. Instant spin-ola.

Randy (the car going by in the correct direction) wasn't even a thought, but when you take that long, slow spin, somehow those behind you who aren't following suit just seem to appear out of nowhere.

So there you have it. Anyone who wants to learn just exactly how to master this move, please PM me.

Liked: 24

this one is definitely in need of a title
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/438129...57648298504407

GPS says "Off Ramp Next Right."
    Last edited by JustDave; 10.26.14 at 10:32 AM.

Liked: 551

That looks like the proper racing line (for when they run the track clockwise).

Now that's perfect, Russ! Too funny! LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information