Liked: 309

Default Prototype classes

I see in the July Fastrack that SR1 and SR2 are changing their names to Prototype 1 and Prototype 2, respectively. P1 and P2...cool beans!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 551

Maybe to prevent confusion with Spec Racer? (a guess)

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 159

Default Prototype 1 & 2

No confusion, just moving to something that might appeal to a new generation of racers.
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 2

So, P1 is the slower class?

Liked: 345

No.

P1 will be the top dog in sports racing in SCCA Club Racing. P2 is an attempt to make older C and D Sports Racers, S2000 and the Enterprise SR competitive with each other.

Of course, you could always check out the current P1-P2 rules:

P1 - http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...2011-10-13.pdf
    P2 - http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...011-10-131.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    So, P1 is the slower class?
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

I have been going over the rules.

Am I reading P1 correctly that it will be flat bottom, no rear diffuser?

Are the P1 engines any more powerful than CSR?

Edit: I am having trouble understanding P1 aero rules. P2 is pretty straight forward, with a flat bottom from the back of the front tires to the front of the rear, and no forward facing openings, and overhang limits, etc.

I don't understand the "surface" with no downward deviations in P1.

Does that mean you can define a surface at the lowest points and have any upward deviation?
    or is it a flat bottom, like CN regulations.

Also, for either class:
    are you allowed to have an opening between the fenders and the center section that exits before the end of the front tires?
    What I am describing is basically a separate fender connected to the center body by two fairings(fixed to body) for the control arms, or the upper arm in a fairing(still fixed) and the bottom one hidden by the lower panels that connect to the body and sidepods. I know "cycle fenders" are not allowed, but I consider "cycle fenders" to be ones attatched to the uprights that hug the tires and turn with them. I am, of course trying to imagine a way to bring the air coming out of the front diffuser/wing up and out to the sides, and /or over the body. I just wanted to know if this was legal or not.

If it is legal though, can the fairing for the upper control arm have an aerodynamic affect of it's own?

Also, if a carbon tub formula car meets article 275(F3), can it be used as the basis for a P1?, P2?
    Also, I don't know what the FIA article is for Formula Renault 1.6 and 2.0, but are those chassis also legal?
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 12.01.13 at 4:44 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

The best way to understand the aero rules for front fenders is to go find a Stohr WF1 and study the gap between the front fenders and the side pods. Since it is unlikely that the bodywork of the 50+ WF1s will be ever made illegal, just use that design as a model. Remember, you gap width can probably vary.
    Marty

OK, that helps for the fender treatment.

What about underbody for P1?

No aerodynamic devices (e.g. “skirts,” body sides) may extend more than 1cm (0.394
    inches) below a lower surface anywhere on the car to the rear of the front axle. Seat
    bucket or other protrusions shall not circumvent this rule. Aerodynamic devices shall be
    securely mounted on the entirely sprung part of the car and not be movable when the car
    is in motion. It is not permitted to duct air through any part of the bodywork for the
    purpose of providing aerodynamic downforce on the car.
    2. All ducted air that exits through the top of the bodywork behind the rear of the front tires,
    excluding the cockpit opening, fender louvers, or slots, louvers, grills and similar devices
    for allowing heat to escape the engine bay, shall pass through a heat exchanger.

Is it like I am reading that it is a flat bottom from the center of front wheels to the back of the car?

Or is it just banning the flexible side skirts, and any shaped bottom is allowed?

Also, where is the wing size limitations? Is it anything goes within the height, width, and overall vehicle length?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

I've never read the P1 rules before but, if I were to guess, it seems that the prohibition on extensions below the "lower surface" is to eliminate skirts and since there is no prohibition on being above the lower surface, they are probably allowing any manner of tunnels, venturies or diffusors.
    You could try posting this question at sportsracer.net since I know some of the ad hoc rules people frequent that site.
    Good luck
    Marty

I'll post there if I can.

It seems like something is missing, Like a minimum size for the "lower surface" and that it would probably be the full width of the car, with no upward deviation also, otherwise the lower surface could be the outer portion of the side pods, and you would have a full length venturi.

It seems weird that they would say no exceptions for seat buckets or protrusions if you could just make the protrusions the "lower surface"

Liked: 0

Default Diasio D962R

Diasio D962R
    This is a P1 car when unsupercharged.
    Anyone familiar with this car?

Quote Originally Posted by jdkirkk View Post
    Diasio D962R
    This is a P1 car when unsupercharged.
    Anyone familiar with this car?
    Umm, I was just discussing that over on DSR forum. It is a spec line in P1, but I believe it to be way outclassed there. Apparently they saw the diasio specs advertised online and used that which shows a 1300lb dry weight and advertises 255HP. AS far as I can tell, the engine is the same as a Pro Formula Mazda which is 240HP, and a dry weight of 1300 would come out to a race weight with driver close to 1600lbs, so you would be racing against cars with 50-60 more HP at 300lbs less weight and half the frontal area, with 3-4 times the downforce.

Maybe eventually it will get a spec line in P2 if a few people do run them, and provide specific performance and critical data, and show the potential to be competitive there.

I take that back on the HP, because you would be able to run the same engine as spec line O, which allows for some porting, but apparently that motor doesn't take too well to porting, and you would be unable to come close to the 1300lb minimum weight, as well as having twice the frontal area, and 1/3 the downforce.

I think that even if it were in P2, it would still suffer at the same power to weight ratio as the other P2 cars, with less downforce, and more frontal area, just like the Diasi D962 Bike engine cars did.

Oh yeah, you probably couldn't run as wide a tire without some modifications. The spec lines for it also require a stock body and chassis, and you can't just use the regular P1,P2 rules, since it is a closed car and has to be allowed a spec line.

At any rate, much of this may be worked out over time, as the rules are designed to try and achieve parity, and have been made adjustable to do so. They are doing a good job of evaluating the info they get and trying to make a better Sports racer/Prototype structure and get more people competing on the track, so If you have one, just keep at it, and if you really want one, and you don't mind being at the back at least for now, go for it.
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 01.22.14 at 10:17 PM.

Thread Information