Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Brian Copperthite: Injury Updates

FF returnee Brian Copperthite had a massive accident on Friday afternoon at Lime Rock in his latest ride, a DB-3 Kent.
    He seems to have dropped the 2 left side wheel/tires into the dirt on tracking out of the downhill at the mend of his first lap of a qualifying session.
    Unfortunately he repeated what has happened so many times over the years and jerked the car back on the asphalt and it snapped around and rather than impacting the tire wall outside false grid he was a bit further on and after a spin, maybe 2, hit rhe substantial tire barrier protecting the outer pit wall sideways from the left side.
    The car then bounced/spun into the inner pit wall while/after flipping.
    Brian is in St Francis, I think, in Poughkeepsie, NY. he is under a medically induced coma with a severe brain injury, called transfused I think. Means his brain bounced around in his skull and made numerous impactes with the skull.
    He as unconscious and unresponsive when the first responders reached him, in guite literally seconds, one of the first being a trauma trained doctor who was on false grid for his session which was next up, unfortunately I do not remember that driver/doctors name.
    Brian was transported by track ambulance to Sharon Hospital but Life Star was called. Unfortunately due to the numerous storms swirling around they could not fly so he was transferred to Poushkeepie which apparently has a top notch neuro-surgery compoment.
    I spoke to his Mom and Dad today, there are small glimmers of hope happening, not the least of which is his left eye, which the term for what happened to it was "blown", that is distended and non-responsive, has returned to normal.;
    Also the pressure inside his skull has lessened and there is no bleeding internally.
    Brian was starting to try to move a leg and or foot/feet so the docs increased the sedative to make sure he stays very still.
    The family has a long road ahead of them and certainly appreciate the racing familys concern and support.
    Brain ran a few F1600 events with us in 2011 but it took every resource the family could muster and he decided that was unfair to his parents and siblings so sold his incredibly sanitary Citation, but obviously the bug that bit him was still active and he returned just last week on Tuesday with the Swift. Alan Walker and I helped him the old Kent float level issues and he was running ok by the end of the day.
    A bad accident that hopefully Brian can recover from soon.

Liked: 1426

Thanks for posting, I did not have any idea as I am sure others did not.

Some seriously good vibes and well wishes coming for Brian.

Liked: 1417

Terrible news. Brian has been a part of the ApexSpeed community for a long time, starting from nothing to his beautiful Citation and then back to his DB3. We here at ApexSpeed are all thinking about him and wish him the fastest and most complete recovery.

Liked: 99

Very sad news, I did not hear about this.

Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Please keep us posted with updates.
    -Nick

Liked: 1

Thoughts and prayers with Brian and family.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Very sorry to hear this. Horrible news & had no idea. Hopefully he will be ok.
    Steve Bamford

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Very scary, those impacts on the inside of the downhill often are worse than the ones on the outside. Heart goes out to his family and friends.

Liked: 126

Thanks for posting Mike. I hope for a complete and speedy recovery for Brian.

Liked: 36

Mike

Thanks to you and Alan for helping Brian on Tuesday. Owing to some medical issues I was not able to make any of the trips this week to LRP with Brian.

We took this very nice DB3-89 (yes it is one of the Magic Six), back in Oct. We spent a lot of time, and Brian's money to go thru it. He was really looking forward to doing some races in this car. Judging from Tuesday's outing, I am sure that he would have run very well in it.

Brian's family remains with him, and Brian can surely use all of our collective prayers and best wishes.

John D.

Liked: 31

Thanks mike for the update. It sounds like a few hopeful signs on the start to a long recovery. I had left the track on Friday not knowing about the incident. Mikes update beared heavy in my cockpit on Saturday. I kept remembering talking to Brian earlier Friday and how happy he was to be driving again. I will keep Brian in my thoughts.

Please pass along any addresses that we can send our best wishes to help support the family and Brian.

AJW

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1833

Rand, Thanks for posting.

Brian is a tough kid. He has that fire in the belly that will get him through this and I wouldn't be surprised, back in a racecar sooner than you think.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Sad news indeed...best wishes to Brian and his family for a full recovery
    aaron

Liked: 20

A hard day for the racing community. My thoughts and prayers are with Brian , his family and friends.
    I will look forward to his return.

D Fisher

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

sincere well wishes to all concerned

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

My thoughts and prayers will be with Brian . Wishing for a speedy full recovery .

It is difficult to read about this incident. My heart goes out to Brian and his family and friends. Wishing for Brian's recovery.

Liked: 127

I was out on track when I saw all the commotion happening, and the car ending up in pit lane. My prayers are with him and his family right now. Hearing sad news like this makes the motor I lost Saturday meaningless.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 120

I pulled into pit lane seconds after the impact and knew it wasn't good.
    My prayers are with Brian and his family tonight...

Liked: 157

Mike, thanks for keeping everyone informed about this sad news. Brian is a great guy and as others have said really had the racing bug. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family for what we hope will be a full recovery.

Liked: 99

Default LRP Accident

I sold that car to John D last year for Brian. I hope he has a speedy recovery.Our prayers are with Brian and his family. Mike Sauce

Liked: 3

I wish Brian nothing but the best and hope a speedy and full recovery.

In a moment of thought, has anything gone over looked that can make us safer?

Hans device is a good start, roll hoop mods? Side bar mods to enclose the helmet area?

Just thinking out loud as we all hate to see injuries.

Dave

Liked: 8

Default Injured driver update

May God Bless Brian with a speedy recovery and give his parents and loved ones the strength to endure during this difficult time.

Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01
    Phl reg. SCCA

Liked: 2

Prayers and wishes for Brian to make a full recovery...

Lance

Liked: 667

old age and experience might win races, but youth heals alot better. Here's hoping that plays true this time.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 157

Default Pulling for a full recovery

I hope Brian can beat this tremendous challenge and make a full recovery. Please keep us updated, especially if there is an opportunity to go visit him the hospital.

Default Hope & Prayers

I sold my DB-1 that very morning at LRP. For obvious reasons, I pulled my entry and got out of Dodge. Don Veith called me with some questions the next day from the track and told me of this horrific accident. Susan and I have both been praying and thinking of our friend Brian ever since. Knowing Brian's energy and sincere willingness to dig deep when the chips are down, we both know he will surely recover to continue his passion. Our hearts go out to Brian and family who need all our prayers as we contiue with our hopes of a full recovery.... Brian, first Diet Cokes on me!!!

Doug Hobby

Liked: 2

Is there an address that we can send cards to?

Lance

Liked: 501

Best wishes to Brian for a full and speedy recovery.

Default Brian

This is Brian's Brother Ian. We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. For those wishing to send along wishes the address and room number he's in currently are at the bottom of this post. Thanks again to all of you.

St Francis Hospital, 241 North Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Room 309

Liked: 111

Default Get well soon!

Brian, Our prayers are with you.

Ian, Can you please leave a Post here on Apexspeed when Brian is doing well enough for visits. I'm sure there are lots of people here that would like to stop by and give him all our support.

regards,
    Bob Detrick

Liked: 896

Our prayers are with Brian and his family. Get well soon Brian.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

best wishes and prayers to brian and his family....ric

Bob, I will absolutly let everyone know when Brian will be accepting visitors. He's hopefully going to start being weaned off of the sedation starting tomorrow, so we are all keeping our fingers crossed that he'll wake up shortly after. Again thanks to everyone for the well wishes and prayers.

Ian

Default Brian

Our hearts go out to you for a speedy recovery...

Liked: 4

Default Brian

Best wishes to Brian and his family, your in our thoughts.
    Jim MacNicholl

Liked: 17

I raced in the same group as Brian a couple of NARRC Run Offs ago. He paddocked in front of us and we talked a bit. Seems like a real nice guy and strong competitor. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Please keep us posted of his progress...

Chris M.

Liked: 79

Our thought and prayers to your family Ian. St Francis is an outstanding facility. We have friends that work there in the recovery room. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Bob Reid

Liked: 5

I was talking to Karen Peterson after the incident.She is on Pre-Grid and told me how the doctor went over as soon as it happened.and was taking care of Brian.God Speed to recovery for Brian, Ian, and the rest of the Family. Perhaps we need to get some of those safe Barriers in that area of LRP They should have already been there to prevent this sort of accident and injury. Peter Cheney FV#06

Liked: 3

I know they are expensive, but anything to improve on track safety is money well spent.

Safety barriers, run offs, etc...

There isn't a driver in the world who wouldn't thank a track owner for the improvements.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Just to clear up any misconception regarding Brians accident.
    His impact was side on into a huge, well designed and built, to FIA standards, tire wall protecting the blunt end of the 3 rail armco outer pit wall.
    The tires are stacked in accordance with FIA regulations, 5 tall, rows of 5-6 stacks, at least 4 rows deep, interlocked, every place a tire touches another tire it is bolted to each other [to prevent loose tires adding to the incident by rolling around in traffic etc]
    Yes it weights quite a lot but the compression of all those tires has been proven again and again far better than impacting anything immovable that is stuck in the ground, like concrete walls or armco.
    A Safer barrier as used on ovals these days would offer far less, if indeed any, protection in this instance. Runoff areas are great but someone explain to me how runoff can be designed in to the seperation between pit lane and pit straight ?
    As a former track manager/operator I take exception to my CF pal Daves comment, no one involved with the operation any sort of racing facility ever wants to see anyone injured and to my knowledgement and experience, over 45 years in open wheel cars all over the country, improvements happen constantly, we just rarely notice until brought to light by an accident mitigated by said improvement.
    When I think of the cars and tracks when I started in 1968, well, any new racers would be appalled at the risks we took, but we simply didn't know any better !
    And by the way, gravel traps are no longer reccomended virtually anywhere.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information