Liked: 4

Default New Formula Ford Class Announcement

Introducing a New Formula Ford Class to run with CVAR in 2014.

Bring your 1600cc Club Fords manufactured through 1986 and enjoy some great Vintage Racing.

To insure "Vintage Spirit" driving is practiced with this new Class, each driver will be required to attend a brief orientation on track conduct.

See the attachments for details on this program and Welcome to CVAR's latest racing adventure.

We look forward to seeing you in February at Texas World Speedway.

[ATTACH]Attachment 43196[/ATTACH]
    FFR Daytona, '12 F-250, Merlyn '71 Mk 20 FFI
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest!" Mark Twain

Liked: 22

Default How did you pick 1986

Wow - allows Swifts and 85/86 VD. To me the next big move was the new VD in 92 (was it 92 or about)? VD from 87 to 90 are essentially the same and I have a 87 Crossle where they fixed the 86 problems but no rocket ship. What gives...but nice to see inboard cars with the traditional ladder frame included....

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1471

glad to see another club stepping up to allowing post-72 cars. The rules will get figured out - it's the thought that counts.

Liked: 934

Default Great news!

I think this is a great idea. We had "The Series" come to Laguna for a SCCA vintage event in 2011. 30+ Fords of all ages with treads and slicks. We all had a great time.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

That is interesting. What is the thought behind not allowing rain tires? Slicks don't work well in the rain and switching to Dunlops or Avons from slicks would require some time consuming suspension changes.

Liked: 25

Default Rains

I have the same question and concerns about rains, and I am in the area.
    - Frank C

Liked: 36

I'm baffled why rain tires aren't allowed. What is the reason?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 757

Surely this just means that no dedicated wet tires are allowed. If its raining you can use the treaded Dunlop style tire.

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Surely this just means that no dedicated wet tires are allowed. If its raining you can use the treaded Dunlop style tire.
    2 issues with that.

1. I already have mounted rains as do a lot of others who also race SCCA.

2. The dunlops and Avons are significantly taller than Hoosier slicks. Going dry or wet is usually a last minute decision with not a lot of additional time for set up changes. Any one have any real world experience on set up changes required between the two?

And no rain tires allowed brings up another question. If there are no rain tires allowed are hand grooved intermediate slicks allowed?

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

The RF-85/86 has different rear rockers for running slicks and treaded tires. The US rockers (slicks) have a flatter angle than the UK (treaded) ones in order to keep the shock end of the rocker in the same range of motion using the shorter slick. The shocks will run out of travel with the wrong rocker/tire combination. Changing from slicks to treaded tires is not a quick operation.

Liked: 35

Default CVAR Rain Tire Rule for FF3

Concerning all the comments regarding the ban on rain tires in the new FF3 class, CVAR has no tire rule for FF2, FF3, or for the Formula Atlantic class. The FF3 class is merely a test to determine if adding later date cars will create larger grids while maintaining the club's proud safety record.

CVAR rules clearly state that the FF1 cars only are NOT permitted to use rain tires because of the Dunlop treaded tire the class is required to use. FF2 and F/A cars may use slicks and there is no restriction on the use of rain tires. The FF2 cars and Formula Atlantic cars have always used rain tires in wet track conditions without penalty. As stated in their mission statement, CVAR is "dedicated to high standards of safety". CVAR Group 6 welcomes you to come and run rain or shine!

Robert Metcalf

Quote Originally Posted by true racer View Post

CVAR rules clearly state that the FF1 cars only are NOT permitted to use rain tires because of the Dunlop treaded tire the class is required to use. FF2 and F/A cars may use slicks and there is no restriction on the use of rain tires. The FF2 cars and Formula Atlantic cars have always used rain tires in wet track conditions without penalty.
    Robert Metcalf
    item 3 in the document attached under tire specifications says no rain tires.

Liked: 1

I've run CVAR for 15 years with a Mustang and I'm interested in getting a DB1 or equivalent to run in the new class.

I'm awaiting a response to see how many takers they've had so far.

Liked: 5

I bought a Lola 340 that had been raced by a bloke named Tom Raber for 20 plus years on slicks. We put a set of Avon tyres on the wet weather rims (they have a larger offset) corrected the ride height with 2 turns of the spring platforms and put it on the track. The result was a very stable and predictable car, with very few changes. In the 2 wet practices we did a 20mm adjustment to the front anti roll bar and a tyre pressure change resulted in the quickest lap of the field which included an ADF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRnM8BzmD0

Liked: 59

I used to race Club Ford with Tom Raber...more than 20 years ago. Were you able to find ANY part on that car with room to drill ONE MORE hole? LOL

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Liked: 5

We got everything Tom had and some of the used parts bins are just full of bespoke parts, as you say all drilled for weight, great car mechanically and awesome fun, just needs a cosmetic makeover. Our National Championship now runs in 3 classes of FF so it may even make the National grid one day.

Thread Information