Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Default Anyone want to guess what this is?

Along with my modified RF89 Van Diemen, I received a couple of setup jigs for the front suspension; one triangular one that is obviously for the fabrication of the non-stock front control arms, one square tube which is apparently for setting the initial rod end positions of the arms...

...and then there's this:

I've looked over the car fairly carefully, and the only place where the holes in the... ...thing align with holes on the frame are the mounting holes for the former location of the front anti-roll bar.

If you look carefully, you'll see that the tool (whatever it is) is NOT square across the car. The three holes align it so that it is a little further toward the front of the car at the left end. If you look even more closely, you'll see a thin brass rod that's been brazed to the steel plate and which extends beneath the plate down past the right side of the steering column.

Now you know about as much as I know.

Any thoughts?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If the original front bar mounted there maybe some means of initially setting the front bar blades and push rods?

The indicator pointer deal...sure it doesn't bolt up somewhere on the engine or transaxle? "Front left" just indicates orientation, doesn't dictate proximity.

So, I'm leaning towards it bolts somewhere else.

As many of these types of threads I have seen over the years, here and the old FFU, I think I have a plan for the next car I sell. I am going to make some jig that serves no real purpose, put some marks on it and throw it in a box of spares just to see how long before the new owner posts it here and what kind of guesses are made.

Liked: 20

It just lets you know when the car is going backwards and/or is upside down.

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I think I have a plan for the next car I sell. I am going to make some jig that serves no real purpose, put some marks on it and throw it in a box of spares just to see how long before the new owner posts it here and what kind of guesses are made.

Or include something off a '39 Buick in the spares....
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 671

The indicator rod seems pushed out of true by the steering shaft. I suspect that is a clue that the "tool" mounts somewhere else.
    I assume the "front left" writing was on it when you received it, but agree it doesn't tell us much about proximity.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

Perhaps, when the previous owner decided to move the ARB, he transferred the holes to that plate, so we could look for other places to mount the ARB. That could have been a temporary, or even permanent piece, that could be clamped and then welded on to that perfect location.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1885

As many of these types of threads I have seen over the years, here and the old FFU, I think I have a plan for the next car I sell. I am going to make some jig that serves no real purpose, put some marks on it and throw it in a box of spares just to see how long before the new owner posts it here and what kind of guesses are made.
    I would also add "Do not race without installed and torqued to proper value"
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 246

I like Greg's idea of a transfer jig. Does the pointer line up with any feature on the sway bar assembly?

Contributing Member

If the original front bar mounted there maybe some means of initially setting the front bar blades and push rods?

The indicator pointer deal...sure it doesn't bolt up somewhere on the engine or transaxle? "Front left" just indicates orientation, doesn't dictate proximity.

So, I'm leaning towards it bolts somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    It just lets you know when the car is going backwards and/or is upside down.
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    The indicator rod seems pushed out of true by the steering shaft. I suspect that is a clue that the "tool" mounts somewhere else.
    I assume the "front left" writing was on it when you received it, but agree it doesn't tell us much about proximity.
    Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Perhaps, when the previous owner decided to move the ARB, he transferred the holes to that plate, so we could look for other places to mount the ARB. That could have been a temporary, or even permanent piece, that could be clamped and then welded on to that perfect location.
    Quote Originally Posted by tstrong View Post
    I like Greg's idea of a transfer jig. Does the pointer line up with any feature on the sway bar assembly?
    The front anti-roll bar was re-located to the front bulkhead and doesn't use the same bolt hole spacing.

I agree that the pointer is pushed to the right side by the steering column, but I've checked the car over pretty carefully, and that seems to be the only place it fits. I suppose it could be installed with the writing pointing downward, but then the arrow would point backward assuming it still on the left side of the car.

I'm trying to get in touch with the guy who first bought the car from Van Diemen (and subsequently rebuilt the front end to a different spec) to see if he can can tell me what that jig is for, and if I get an answer, I'll be sure to post it here.

Liked: 1851

Personally, I think that it is simply an orientation tag for the mechanics after their all-night benders.......

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Personally, I think that it is simply an orientation tag for the mechanics after their all-night benders.......
    I'll be sure to hang it on the car then...

...if I ever have a mechanic, that is.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

i fancy the frame colour

Contributing Member

Default And the winner is...

From the car's previous owner:

"The rack on your Van Dieman is in a hidden spot and to centre it and lock it in place is tough to do so I made the piece in the pic. When I mentioned that the pic looked off it was because that pointer looks like it is beside the steering column and should be just above the top of the column and there should be a mark on the column, centre punch, scratch or a paint spot. You mount the piece as you have it (if the pointer is too long then I must have used shims but the pointer could be snipped off to length, ie: right above the column) and with your steering centered you find the mark or make another one (ink mark on a piece of tape works) and bend the wire pointer so it sits above your mark, if you move the rack when breaking your lock nuts on the rod ends it will show at the mark/pointer."

So there you have it.

Thread Information