Thread: Mid-Ohio Thread

Liked: 42

Default Mid-Ohio Thread

The front of the F2000 field certainly tightened up at VIR. Who's coming to play at Mid-Ohio for rounds 7 and 8, the mid-point of the year.

Should be fun to see if John LaRue can keep up his pace from last year when he took the win on Sunday!

Liked: 3787

Get the kid to calm down and you might see a total Citation podium.

Liked: 4

Anyone going up from Atlanta area? Mind bringing a set of wheels and tires back?

Liked: 42

Back by popular demand: The the Polestar/Formula Race Promotions paddock party/meet and greet. Saturday Night (at the Polestar rig)

Liked: 822

Quote Originally Posted by btjsb9 View Post
    Anyone going up from Atlanta area? Mind bringing a set of wheels and tires back?
    Brian,
    I'm going, but I live up near Commerce off I85. If you don't get anyone closer, I should be able to make room for them on the trip back. Not quite in Atlanta, but a LOT closer than Ohio :-).

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 1851

So? Any reports besides that Citations won?

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    So? Any reports besides that Citations won?
    The American designed , built & developed Citations won!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thank you, Mr. Obvious!

Liked: 6

Was there providing a little help.
    John's car ran flawlessly on Saturday, as did the driver after a long lay off.
    Sunday went well also until......
    Fastest practice times, Fastest qualifying times both days, although he had to start from 3rd on Sunday do to the fact that he caused a black flag during qualifying for an off track excursion. Which I don't understand, he was black flagged and the Kopp car which spun on the first lap of qualifying on Sunday morning (when the track was slick from a light shower that had passed through right before quals began) was not black flagged. The emergency truck had to come onto the track and pull the Kopp driver out of the trap just like John. And the Kopp driver was in a very bad spot, right off the track in the Keyhole. But...?
    Then at the start of Sundays race was run off track at the start but work his way back up from 5th to 3rd. And appeared to be quickly gaining on the 2nd place car but ran out of time.
    A 1st and a 3rd. I'd take it.
    Good job Mr LaRue.
    Last edited by DonArm; 07.06.14 at 9:30 PM.

Sounds like he emptied the nitrous bottle a bit too quickly on Sunday!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 858

Results and commentary can be found at: http://f2000series.com

There is a set of rules in place in the Series for cars who cause a stoppage. When and why that black flag is thrown is a decision by race control and the safety crews. Mid-Ohio safety crews, like a number of other tracks, will do hot pickups when they they feel comfortable and ask for a black flag when they don't.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 976

FWIW I was in a bad spot just off the back straight just barely into the gravel (found the wet spot!) I can't blame them for throwing the black flag and honestly was relieved that they did. I would much rather lose a few grid positions than to get hit or have someone crash into the tow truck or crew.

Safety pulled a real bone head move by running the rope THROUGH the rear wing. They promptly tore up my rear wing pulling me out. Next time I will get out and direct the recovery effort; there is simply too much to be lost with these inexperienced crews. This is the second time I have had a car damaged in a tow!

We got back into the pits and Chuck straightened the rear wing as best he could for the remaining time in the session. I did not feel comfortable with that rear wing so we had to run something a bit different for the race and the balance wasn't quite there.

I was very thankful for a nice weekend and the great competition.

John

Liked: 5

Sounds like Mid-Ohio safety crews still haven't learned much. Those were the same guys that dropped my car from 3' in the air onto its left side causing over $1000 in damage and flipped another F600 at 50 mph doing a flat tow that same day causing at least $10K worth of damage last year. SCCA does carry insurance to cover damage caused by wreckers/tow vehicles, but I believe the deductible is $1000.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 822

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    Sounds like Mid-Ohio safety crews still haven't learned much. Those were the same guys that dropped my car from 3' in the air onto its left side causing over $1000 in damage and flipped another F600 at 50 mph doing a flat tow that same day causing at least $10K worth of damage last year. SCCA does carry insurance to cover damage caused by wreckers/tow vehicles, but I believe the deductible is $1000.
    I also had to be towed in after our FV race. I was VERY disappointed that despite my nearly constant screams from inside my helmet, it took SEVERAL minutes to convince the guy with the ROPE that he should NOT wrap it AROUND my roll bar fairing - he actually lifted the fairing and TRIED to insert the rope (belt) between the roll bar and fairing, before FINALLY recognizing that the fairing was only attached to the roll bar with 2 small strips of electrical tape. Thankfully, 20 hours of fiberglass work was not lost.

When we got back to my paddock spot, no amount of waving, yelling and screaming could stop the tow truck from DRAGGING ME (ALL FOUR WHEELS LOCKED) through a series of deep potholes - tearing several holes in the belly pan in the process. They did not allow me to have a 'releaseable' attachment - instead they used SOLID ATTACHMENT that I could NOT release under any circumstances (BAD! BAD! BAD!)

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE GUYS!! CAN'T THEY *LOOK* OUT THE BACK WINDOW AND SEE THE DRIVER WAVING AND SCREAMING?? ... even if they can't HEAR HIM ??

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 5

I'm sorry you had to put up with idiot wrecker drivers. The track manager promised us after they flipped Clint's car with a rookie driver and dropped my car that they would no longer hard connect to formula/SR cars, would repair their existing equipment, and would have additional training with their wrecker drivers. Looks like that was a a line of BS. In the future if a wrecker attempts to do a flat tow and refuses to only wrap the roll bar, get out of the car and demand a pickup instead. They can't do a flat tow without a driver in the car.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 43

This was the start of race 2 from on board my #06 from waaaaayyyy back in 15th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCz5Xt-C60
    Washed up never-was

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by SMRacing View Post

That looked like a bunch of fun. Got any more video from Mid Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    That looked like a bunch of fun. Got any more video from Mid Ohio?
    I have to go through it all. I leave for Mosport tomorrow, and I will get home Sunday or Monday. Then I will have time to sit down and go through all my footage from the last two weeks of racing and get it all up to youtube.
    Washed up never-was

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by SMRacing View Post

Your head is enormous

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    Your head is enormous
    Why thank you, Mr. Valet.

Yours is no slouch.
    Washed up never-was

Thread Information