Thread: Split rims

Liked: 2

Default Split rims

Hello all,
    I have a set of split rims..Anyone know how made these ? they fit on my RF-95 . Do you mount the tires in the conventional manner or do you split the rims then re-install the tires that way ?
    They appear to have a bead of sillycone between the 2 halves.
    Thanks

Tom

Liked: 3277

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmonkey View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a set of split rims..Anyone know how made these ? they fit on my RF-95 . Do you mount the tires in the conventional manner or do you split the rims then re-install the tires that way ?
    They appear to have a bead of sillycone between the 2 halves.
    Thanks

Tom
    If there is a "drop-center," (a smaller diameter section between the bead-seat areas), then you should be able to mount tires normally. Sealing the 2 halves with silicon RTV is normal. There are several threads on the procedure that can be found in ApexSpeed.

However, there were some rims, made back in the '70's or '80's, that did not have a drop-center. Those required disassembling to mount tires. I had some made by "Speedline," IIRC. What a pain in the butt!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 2

Thanks Dave,
    I'll check out the rims in more detail...
    Tom

Thread Information