Thread: Computers

Liked: 141

Default Computers

We all have computers so here's a general question to friends with like minds.

iPad - or - Microsoft based net-book?

I was brought up on Microsoft-based computers at work and have simply continued with them in retirement - and in the process thinking anything from Apple as 'not real computers' and way too expensive. That's obviously an overstatment because many thousands are happy with them.

I currently have an Asus netbook - great little machine - but slow to warm-up (start-up) and far too frequently slowing down with updates and reboots. Even got my neophite wife a netbook and am now been played back "Why did you get me this machine - it's so slow - all my friends have iPads they're much better?"

So - should I/we changeover?
    I'm sure I'd want a real keyboard accessory for normal typing.

Oh - and when I refer to Microsoft machines being slow - yes - I do regularly delete old files and cookies and delete unused software etc. The latest 'tip' I received was - don't bother with automatic Microsoft updates, in fact don't bother with any Microsoft updates - maybe check their critical list once or twice a year.

Main uses - ApexSpeed (of course) - email - reading the news - some picture searching (using Google Images and Irfan) - spreadsheet use - very occasional videos and music - no file storage (I use a memory stick now after a hard disc failure many years ago).

And - while I'm at it - which anti-virus? - Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG, Avast, Avira, other?

Thx - Derek

Liked: 526

I've yet to find AIM data support for an iPad, so I stick with windows based machines.

That said, I have an iPad issued by school, and with a keyboard accessory case, it's tolerable.

Liked: 10

No personal experience but my understanding is that using a solid state drive (SSD?) rather than a rotating hard drive drastically speeds Windows boot up.

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guid...-the-consumer/

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    No personal experience but my understanding is that using a solid state drive (SSD?) rather than a rotating hard drive drastically speeds Windows boot up.

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guid...-the-consumer/
    My machine with an SSD takes 7 seconds from pushing the power button to the login screen.

Tablets are fine for the screwing around that most of us do on the computer/laptop. I've got a Samsung 2.0 tablet and it serves its purpose well enough.

Any "real" work and I think you'd be far better served by a laptop or desktop. You'll need a laptop for data at the track anyways right?

Any reason you're going towards an iPad?

Liked: 1100

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I've yet to find AIM data support for an iPad, so I stick with windows based machines.
    There's a rumor some Apple fans are arranging to buy the CEO of AIM an iPad so he'll get motivated to port their software. That rumor is over a year old, however..

I have an SSD in my desktop because it makes a huge difference.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 345

If you plan on doing spreadsheet work, regardless of platform, get some kind of external keyboard. Touchscreens are not designed for high keystroke input (no matter what texters say.) They are a poor ergonomic choice for the kind of work you'll do with a spreadsheet.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 67

Derek, the iPad is wonderful for the uses you've said you're interested in using. An external keyboard does help a lot! The last three iPad releases are very quick and the iPad Air is the best of all worlds, in that sector of the equipment universe.

If you're bound and determined to continue with Windoze, I can only say that I use several MacBook Air's, which are all SSD equipped. I run Windoze 7 Pro on Boot Camp and performance is awesome, even using HD cameras like the Replay, GoPro 3 and the new AiM SmartyCam HD. I can crunch data and video, work with all the major data and video software and it does not slow me down. I recommend ALWAYS installing the latest M$ updates because of the vulnerabilities of that system and the sheer number of threats out there.

The "Atom" processors of the netbooks are crap, and about as powerful as a weak FV compared to an Atlantic!

I use Avast because it's the least "hoggish" of resources and the interface is very streamlined.

Best of luck!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 49

Like any child of the 90s, I have the whole collection..

I have a windows based desktop PC where I do the serious stuff.. Occasional freelance work, personal projects, CAD/CAM stuff, etc..

There's a small windows netbook kicking around that we were using as our main browsing, email, etc machine up until last year. It is small, light, the battery lasts forever, but it's pretty slow, gets stuffed with software until it's almost unusable, then I spend the time clearing it up and it's good to go again for a while.

Then last year our old boss (George Lucas!) decided to give everyone iPads and iPhones.. Well, the iPad pretty much took over 90% of anything computing related at our home. Browsing, email, watching youtube videos, checking the forums, I do everything on the iPad now. It's incredibly portable, easy to use, etc. It doesn't completely replace the desktop or the laptop, there are still things the others are better at. But for general, day to day stuff.. It's great!

Lastly - an SSD will speed up your netbook quite a bit, as will more RAM (most likely..). But like all laptops, eventually there's just too much stuff installed in it! If you go through and backup your documents, photos, any files you want to keep, then start with a fresh Windows install, it'll feel amazing for a while.. Until you load it up with all the stuff you need and it slows right back down again

Liked: 10

Regarding anti virus software, we've used Microsoft Security Essentials for years in a home environment. Internet downloads, websurfing, email attachments (ISP catches all the bad email attachments). Don't know if a more "challenging" exposure needs a different or "better" anti virus software.

Dick

Liked: 3772

In the office at home a Microsquash Windows 7 big laptop. Does all the serious business fast. Bought a replacement for my 6 year old Vista machine last week for $240. Business apps, photo work, etc.
    AVG protection.

In the truck I use a Samsung 3.1 10" Tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. Love the droids! Fantastically fast for internet stuff. (email, apexspeed, finding closest bar, etc) Used to use a laptop in the truck, not anymore.

Use my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone as the mobile hotspot while on the road. Great phone!
    Good camera for documenting stuff.

Stuff on the Samsung devices display at home on my 70" flat screen, either through the Samsung Blueray player, or $35 Chromecast.

Droid. Love it!

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Derek, for what you mentioned, an iPad will be fine or a Android tablet (samsung tabs are incredible). My work computer (cad, simulations, etc) has a SSD drive but I would never spend my money on that for personal computing if it is predominatly internet surfing and email.

My wife bought a gen 1 iPad (2010) which I use for my "casual" computing. I use it anywhere around the house and it works ok except Apple is now on the 5th version of this product in 3 years, and the last operating system update I "had to do" poorly supports my "old" hardware so it regularly crashes. Apple will not allow you to go back If its my money it will be replaced with a Galaxy tablet and the missus can have this back to play Candy Crush on.

Netbooks are a dying breed, too small or slow for real work, too clumsy for casual computing.

I could not function at work without a keyboard and mouse but for surfing the net and posting to forums you soon adapt to typing on the screen - give it a chance.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

If you are used to using a netbook and their tiny keyboards, and want a tablet also, I would recommend an Asus Transformer tablet. They come with a keyboard dock that extends the battery life and turn them into a clamshell laptop. They are great android based tablets.

If you must have things like microsoft word, Asus also makes a transformer that uses Windows RT (windows 8 mobile). I have that for work. I prefer android OS, but the Asus with windows 8 does have the basic windows programs for work.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Avast has been working well for us on all our devices. Samsung phones, tablets, Windows laptops & desktop. Even the free version does a good job.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 296

If you produce documents you need a notebook or desktop.

If your habits consist of exclusively consuming content the iPad is going to be very good. The exception would be writing a few emails a day. Any more than that and a dedicated keyboard is required.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

If you use MS Security essentials, I would recommend a second AV product like Adware, best to get off of Cnet. Norton Internet security is not bad. Not quite as intrusive as there main suite. I have heard a lot of good anout Kaspersky and Avast.
    As far as MS updates, you should keep you machines up to date. what you are talking about are security and program updates for just plain errors in the code. MS has taken great steps to keep their code up to date and secure. Not to using the updates is like ignoring that new knocking sound in the engine compartment.
    MS has what they call patch Tues. which I believe is the first Tues of each month. So that is a good minimum.

Like any person with a product the hackers go after MS products because they will get the most bang for the time.

Apple is growing share and has begun to see an upswing in virus attacks.

Terry E.

Bit late - but thanks to all for your advice and recommendations.
    I improved mine a bit by getting some 'expert' advice on deleting many Microsoft programs I don't need or don't use - but my wife still thinks I'm a moron for not getting her an iPad.

Did turn out to be a bit like asking Ford or Chevy though didn't it?

One more free one... ccleaner... cleans up all miscl junk files & registries that slow down the processor. EZ to download & EZ to use !

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    One more free one... ccleaner...
    I've got my Windows to do that automatically every time I shutdown - forgotten which settings right now but they're there. I think!

That's awesome ! I'll check that out. Generally, I'm a decades behind current tech

Thread Information