Thread: MacNamara?

Liked: 3

Default MacNamara?

Here's a historic question for you older guys and shop guys as I know this is historic related.

Many yeara go I came into two magnesium rear uprights off 'something' but I don't know what. They were just too cool a deal to pass up on ebay and the price.

These castings are large. About 15" tall and a pretty good offset to them. They are universal for 3.5" mount calipers. Differential bearing bores, about 3.0" spacing. All virgin parts however.

On them is "MacNamara" in the casting.

Some research says that Robert MacNamara (former Ford employee, race car driver, etc. etc.) is perhaps the source of these parts.

Bottom line is that they are serious vintage parts. I wanted to use them on my Peak car but I can't bring myself to do it! I'd be the one to break it!

What are they? Who made them? What do they go to? (dare I ask; what are they worth?)

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default TC, Might I recommend...

The Antique Road Show? They'll be in your neck of the woods next month.
    GC
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE
    Here's a historic question for you older guys and shop guys as I know this is historic related.

Many yeara go I came into two magnesium rear uprights off 'something' but I don't know what. They were just too cool a deal to pass up on ebay and the price.

These castings are large. About 15" tall and a pretty good offset to them. They are universal for 3.5" mount calipers. Differential bearing bores, about 3.0" spacing. All virgin parts however.

On them is "MacNamara" in the casting.

Some research says that Robert MacNamara (former Ford employee, race car driver, etc. etc.) is perhaps the source of these parts.

Bottom line is that they are serious vintage parts. I wanted to use them on my Peak car but I can't bring myself to do it! I'd be the one to break it!

What are they? Who made them? What do they go to? (dare I ask; what are they worth?)

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 298

You're not going to believe this. A McNamara Formula Ford (maybe one-of-one?) is now racing here in Colorado with RMVR. The fellow just got it this year out of California. Great car! Featured in the Nicklus (sp?) book on FFs and the car has a great ownership history.

I'll made sure the current owner sees this post. Seems to me those uprights, if they are the same, really should stay with this fairly uniuqe FF for spares a matter of being able to maintain historical correctness. But.... you lads will have to work that out.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

MacNamara also built Indy Cars in the 60s and 70s.

Default Time out

I spoke with RL on the FF aspect.

These are not McNamara parts.

They are "M a c Namara" castings. Clear as day in the castings. MAC

Back to work!

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 298

Oh well, we try to connect the dots.

Liked: 25

Default Spelling?

I would not rule it out, Mr. Cooke or Mr. Aldar. The casting shop may not have had spell check!
    - Frnak C

Oh I thought of that as well!

I'm hoping I cand find someone with more info on 'big car' parts as these are just to large to be FF parts and RL took me to the pic of his cars in the bible.

I'm still looking.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 852

Pole Position @ Indy YearTimeKmhDriverCar/engine19604'05.58235.92Eddie SachsEwing/Offenhauser 4.5 L4 4252
    Dean Van Lines Special19594'06.73234.82Johnny ThomsonLesovsky/Offenhauser 4.5 L4 4252
    Racing Associates Special19584'06.62234.92Dick RathmannWatson/Offenhauser 4.5 L4 4255
    Mac Namara Special
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 852

Default Google for "Namara formula"

yields:
    http://www.f3historic.com/s_sales.php
    MAC NAMARA FF/F3 "Poject" Original FF/F3 spaceframe new from old stock / some aluminium panels new /set of front and rear lower wishbones new / lower fiberglas body panel / set of all pedals / fuel tank / seat / front antirolbar / original Mac Namara drysumtank new / set formula ford wheels / Mac Namara radiator / set brake-clutch mastercylinder / steering column + bracket : 6500 Euros Delivery can be aranged.

http://www.allf1.info/history/indy.php
    Pole Position
    YearTimeKmhDriverCar/engine
    1958 4'06.62 234.92 Dick Rathmann Watson/Offenhauser 4.5 L4 4255
    Mac Namara Special

http://www.monoposto.nl/for_sale/mcnamara_ff1600.htm
    ad with pictures

That was up through page 10. Any clues for you?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1

Default Old Magnesium

Parts are just the thing to hang on the shop wall as conversation pieces, same with old Mag wheels, people go nuts over these parts for old cars, but they just have a death wish, why do you think that magnesium parts on aircraft are lifed, you can crack test them carry out all manner of tests, but once they are a certain age they are gone! and old parts that were made for racing were never that well made, they might look OK, but you wouldn't get my bum in the seat of a car with old parts like that, get them copied by all means, but put those back up on the wall.
    Roger

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1461

Andretti and his teammates drove MacNamaras at Indy in 70 and 71 I believe. If you go to the Speedway museum, you can rifle through the thousands of photos, might see a disassembled car in the background. I bet more than one person has used their archives to identify parts. The Andretti cars were sponsored by STP, so you might give the Granitellis a shout (thery're in PHX, right?) and an old timer there might have some pictures - shoot, Vince or Andy would probably ID them on the spot.

Default Macnamara FF

A gentleman in Wooddale, Illinois owned one, Jack Brady. His research showed that it was one of three FF Macnamaras built. One had been destroyed/burned. I know he smacked the wall exiting the kink at RA and damaged a rear upright. I also know he had molds made of the uprights and made a couple of new ones.

Jp
    Z16
    Jp: thewarehouse "at" msn.com
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Thanks Gary, that's cool info. But I'm still lost on the source for IDing the parts to what model car they go on.

Again, I'm relatively certain these are not FF parts...they are also not McNamara parts. They are MACnamara parts. Just like Gary found. (and where did you search that anyhow)

As for age and use, well sure they probably don't belong in hard use service today but I'm not judging what someone does with them. I'm simply opting ot find the proper home for them for someone who can use them in the right application. I know I can put them on my Pikes Peak car but I guess I'd rather see them used where they belong.

Progress....~!

Spoke to a guy in Indy- Walter Goodwin. He knows of the MacNamara cars. Yes Granatelli was involved. Seems to feel these parts I have made the rounds from the sale of the old parts some years ago.

He's passed me on to a guy in Ohio named Bob McConnel who has the only known MacNamara still running. At least that they know of currently. Seems these cars all disappeared!

Walter says he does not believe there is a connection between this MAC and the Mc of the FF parts. Recalls a bunch of German folks involved some how though.

All I know as of right now...left a message with Bob.

Default MC Namara in the news

And in related new; for those with Mc Namara produced cars Robert McNamara appears on page 17A of the USAtoday.

Liked: 0

Default Mac Namara

Mac Namara Front Uprights ............

Liked: 0

Mac Namara F3 Chassi , Bj. 1970

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Passed the thread along to Mike Edgerton who is in Dayton and knows Bob well.

Just in case there is trouble connecting with Bob.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE View Post
    .....Some research says that Robert MacNamara (former Ford employee, race car driver, etc. etc.) is perhaps the source of these parts....
    Ex. Pres. of Ford. Also the worst Sec. of Defense the nation has ever had. Starter of the body count to establish how we were doing in Vietnam. Very brilliant, DUMB man.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 22

Default MacNamara

I recall in 1970 STP bought a March 701(poor Chris Amon, the "lone" factory driver!) and MacNamara modified to make it faster for Mario....back when he was Mario Crashadretti! Didn't help. Along with building a Indy Car - an uncompetitive brick...the infusion of cash led to the F3 and FF, etc. Not sure how they flamed out. Neat to see parts and a car still around

Anyone seen the VPJ book. Also from this era! Great stuff. I recall reading VPJ had an auction with all kinds of neat stuff a few years ago. Jealous I could not go and buy my own memorabilia. When men where men.... and lot's of folks died

Liked: 1417

I don't know why it makes me happy to see 7-year old threads resurrected.

Liked: 309

The McNamara cars were built in Germany by American Francis McNamara. He built a few FV's, possibly 3 FF's, and apparently two somewhat different model Champ Cars. It seems that Francis didn't understand oval racing and the cars were terrible. The 1971 Champ Cars were owned by Granitelli and Andretti drove one of them. A different and ever worse car was produced for 1972.
    Pics of 71 Champ car

Also in 1970, McNamara modified a March 701 chassis for Granitelli. McNamara's mods made the bad March even worse. Andretti retired from several GP's

Francis McNamara's wife died suddenly. He was investigated by Interpol and then disappeared and has not been heard from since.

Liked: 318

Default 1970 Indy

Don't ask me how I know crap like this as I was 12 years old at the time and was nowhere near the Speedway at the time, but... Mario of course was the defending Champion at the Speedway in 1970 and the Granitelli McNamara Champ Car arrived that year with much fanfare. I'd have to google what Mario's start position was in 70 but suffice to say if I recall it was not in the first few rows. The car was a pig.

During the race it had huge handling problems and Mario was headed steadily backwards until he had to take avoiding action through the grass and felt something "pop" in the rear of the car. Magically, the car was somewhat less of a pig for however long it lasted. I remember something about a splined driveshaft binding until he went through the grass. Freed it up, I guess.

Not a banner day for the STP team.

I remember they ran the car the rest of the champ car season and went winless.

I sure devoured every copy of Autoweek and Competion Press back then!
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Contact info for Bob McConnell from Mike Edgerton if you need it: dem@eten.net

According to Mario's book, the clunk was a spring popping back on to the seat after it had gotten hung up in an earlier pit stop.

He goes on to say that they simulated the condition after the race and it had a LOT of cross weight in the wrong direction.

Thread Information