Thread: GoPro HERO4

Liked: 52

Default GoPro HERO4

I now a lot of you have had troubles with GoPro cameras in the past but I feel this is such a great innovation that the company deserves major applause. The new HERO4 specs have just been released it is such a giant leap in the industry. But check them out for yourself

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/09/4k-g...t-images-specs

Ryan

Liked: 296

What good is 4k if nobody has hardware capable of using it? This is a video standard created by the industry to generate sales, nothing more. If GoPro wants to impress then give me a better piece of glass on the front and a bigger sensor.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 254

I don't think 4k is such a big deal. I agree that it's sort of pointless, but the really big improvement I see is 1080 at 120fps. It may not mean much for us in the racing hobby, but the rest of the action sports world will get a lot of usage out of that one. That's going to be some impressive high def slow mo shots.

Liked: 49

4k will catch on eventually, especially as TV's get bigger. For now, though, you can use 4k footage to re-frame or zoom into a shot and still maintain full HD res. Among other uses

It will be a big deal, maybe not for posting race footage on YouTube, though!

I also will agree that 4k is not really necessary to an extent when it comes to those of us who just film to have the footage, but for the professional side of the industry it will help them out. I am most impressed with the high FPS and the fact that you will be able to manual expose and color balance with the camera. Properly exposing in the camera will make the footage so much clearer and easier when you are finishing up a video so that way you do not have to do any color correcting with their software.

Ryan

Liked: 32

(stealing a thread?) I hope they got the remote to work. I went thru 3 remotes & 2 cameras on a black 3+ gopro & the remote would never work right. It would usually work once & then lock up. And the first time I used it on the back of my FM the mount broke off @ the RunOffs and was never found. The SF region tech guys agreed that the mounts need to be metal as the plastic has a bad habit of breaking off. Can't they fix that? (well - now I have a lot of accessories for sale including the monitor back). I would never recommend a gopro for a race car. The remotes aren't reliable & the mounts break easily... other than that!?

Liked: 1100

Somebody makes a metal case for safer mounting, but it's pricey. I like my Replay XD720s just fine as long as I use external power.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

& metal mounts on EBay ? Saw them years ago.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Somebody makes a metal case for safer mounting, but it's pricey. I like my Replay XD720s just fine as long as I use external power.
    That's funny because the batteries in my Replays work fine for a full day of racing Tim. I start recording in the paddock and stop recording back in the paddock. My only complaint would be that the storage capacity of the supplied memory cards are a little small, so I ordered new larger (32GB) memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    That's funny because the batteries in my Replays work fine for a full day of racing Tim.
    Mine worked most of the time. Until they didn't and quit in the middle of a session. I suspect it's the old matter of vibration gradually degrading the battery connections. I returned one that was completely blown to the factory and they fixed it, but hardwiring simply removes that question.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by rydawg011291 View Post
    I now a lot of you have had troubles with GoPro cameras in the past but I feel this is such a great innovation that the company deserves major applause. The new HERO4 specs have just been released it is such a giant leap in the industry. But check them out for yourself

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/09/4k-g...t-images-specs

Ryan
    Problem is it's still a brick in the wind.
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Problem is it's still a brick in the wind.
    Does it really have that much of an effect with drag?!? I can see on an Indy car or Formula 1 car it will effect it dramatically but with a FV, FF or even FC I just don't see it being that much of a factor.... But I am no aero guy and don't have any evidence that it does or doesn't effect the car.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by rydawg011291 View Post
    Does it really have that much of an effect with drag?!? I can see on an Indy car or Formula 1 car it will effect it dramatically but with a FV, FF or even FC I just don't see it being that much of a factor.... But I am no aero guy and don't have any evidence that it does or doesn't effect the car.
    It is more important on low powered cars. A Indy car would see less of a effect because HP can overcome the effect much easier. I'm not saying it's a win or loose situation but if you drive on the highway stick a Gopro on a monopod out the window then compare it to a lipstick syle camera you will be amazed even at 65 mph.

Don't get me wrong GoPros are great cameras and give great video for many types of sports but auto racing no so much.
    Mark Filip

Default Aero

Even if the extra drag doesn't greatly affect car performance, it is certainly a factor in the forces trying to rip the camera off its mount. Corner workers see a lot of GoPro pieces on a regular basis.

And I don't mind mounting a Replay on my helmet when I ski.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

The only way to secure a go pro is with the aluminum mounts & cases. And ALWAYS secure with a tether. Kudos to Go Pro for getting this all started, but, we're moving on to the Replay
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 273

We've been using the Replay cameras on both the East and West Coast F1000 Series races for a full season now. All the cars are required to have them on and running. As far as I know zero lost cameras, zero lost footage, and super high quality images.

We run ours all day long without charging the battery.

Take a look at the edited video Mike Beauchamp has put together this year, nice stuff.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

My brother and I use a GoPro and Contour... Soon just going to be GoPro's. I will admit that I am a little biased towards the GoPro and have not used the Replay. We have had problems with our cameras due to vibrations of the car but have never had one fall off, knock on wood. I think we have a good system for mounting the cameras on the car, lots of double sided tape, and it has worked for us for many years. We use GoPro's because they can shoot a high frame rate 60-120fps at 1080p and can even shoot 2k-4k which we really don't use due to the fact that I edit with 1980x1080.

Thread Information