Liked: 5

Default Heat Destroyed the RR Puck in Clint's F600

You have probably seen my posts about how important heat shielding is for a F600. Well, insufficient shielding melted/distintegrated the RR puck in Clint's F600 during the Runoffs race preventing Clint from challenging Brian Novak for the lead. I am sure that the many attempts at meeting the varying sound requirements during the week took all their time and attention, thus there was insufficient time and attention for proper heat shielding of the new exhaust arrangement even though there was some distance between the exhaust and the RR puck.

If in doubt, HEAT SHIELD EVERYTHING!!! It is far, far better to err on the side of too much shielding. Too little will hurt you while too much won't hurt you.

HTH,
    Jim

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I'm guessing the latest variable rate super secret compound puck material isn't as heat resistant as the old rubber pucks from back in the day?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

I suspect that no kind of puck would have survived the heat inside the sidepod for the whole length of the race.

Jim

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    I suspect that no kind of puck would have survived the heat inside the sidepod for the whole length of the race.

Jim
    I agree Jim, the failure was a direct result of the additional heat into the side pod as a result of the rerouting of the exhaust required to meet the very stringent sound requirements at the Runoffs. This was a very tough problem and may not have been solvable at that event. I am sure that additional duct work would have solved the problem but hindsight is easy.

BTW this car has been racing for over 4 years with the same set of rubbers without a failure.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    I agree Jim, the failure was a direct result of the additional heat into the side pod as a result of the rerouting of the exhaust required to meet the very stringent sound requirements at the Runoffs. This was a very tough problem and may not have been solvable at that event. I am sure that additional duct work would have solved the problem but hindsight is easy.

BTW this car has been racing for over 4 years with the same set of rubbers without a failure.
    The sound limit was the same as we have had all year, the problem was the location of the meter. It was track right as well as being directly opposite a bluff; an absolute worst case. The straw that melted the puck was the baffles that I had to put in the exhaust outlet. They trapped a LOT of heat in the muffler. I had all the wrap and insulation that would fit in there.

Frustrating problem - cooling would have helped if Dan had the time - he was working on four cars all week. I suspect that Dan is still tired from the Runoffs. Some cars may require a combination of both cooling and shielding depending on the type of bodywork as to whether it will permit an air duct to be placed optimally. Thankfully, Laguna Seca is one track that many will never go back to.

Jim

Thread Information