Liked: 482

Default Pls help me understand ClubF, rf83 related

Hi Folks,

I've been a lurker for years but this is my first post. I'm in the market to buy a CFF after getting tired of running producing cars for 20 years. My question(s):

Are CF rules likely change to include early rocker arm cars like a VD rf83? I've run across a couple and I like the cars but they don't fit the Monoposto rules or many regional CF rules but neither are they at the forefront of FF technology.

Or, is there likely to be a sort-of "tiering" of CF, say vintage (outboard shock) and then the middle generation? Or is the CF pre-1981 rule pretty set in stone?

Just trying to figure what the best and safest car to run regionally would be.

Thx

Liked: 56

Most areas require an outboard suspension on at least one end of the car to be CF eligible. I think there would be a tremendous amount of resistance to allowing "tweener" or rocker cars in CF. Set up and driven well they can still do fine in Regionals.
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Liked: 18

Default Original C/F

Eric; My guess is that it is too far and expensive to travel to the Club that started the C/F concept; the FRCCA upholds the original cost controlled concept. No Aluminum Heads, no lightweight clutches, no tires that have any kind of advantage (Hot Laps) even if they have that advantage for a short period of time. The FRCCA uses Ameracer 133, a sealed gearbox; where everyone runs the same gearing and YES we allow "Tweener" racecars BUT even the 1992 Euroswift does not have an advantage over the outboard 1978 Van Diemen. We enjoy 16 -18 car counts from 1974 Lolas to 1993 Rays and the racing is close. No chassis has shown any advantage over another. Tires, gears and the restrictions against causing everyone to buy the more expensive stuff has kept our fields full and competitive. Undertand that we also have classes for all types of formula cars be they from SCCA or any group. It seems that each region have adopted rules slightly different from each other and that causes confusion.
    Last edited by Bud Pug; 08.29.14 at 2:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Also the cost of converting a car, and the subsequent probable lack of interest at resale, makes conversion highly questionable. Additionally, unless you're a very talented engineer, it's unlikely the car will perform anywhere near it's original design capabilities. In 36 years around FF, I've only seen one car converted in this manner that actually worked. And it was a relatively uncompetitive dbl outboard car. My advice...just buy a CF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default CF rules

CF rules are whatever your region decides they are, as long as they comply with FF. Many regions are eager to increase car count-especially in the formula car groupings. I'd suggest that you contact the CF/FF driver's rep for your region and tell him that you'd like to participate in CF with your elderly Diemen. Many would welcome you eagerly...a few wouldn't.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information