Liked: 2

Default Engine-to-trans adapter

Does anyone have or know a source for a street engine-to-IRL gearbox adapter? I currently have a GForce roller and I'm considering installing an engine as a project. The car won't be used for racing or tracking, this would just be for fun, smiles, maybe parades, other low speed stuff, etc.

The car is a GF05 with an Xtrac 195 gearbox that is meant to be complete, but honestly I haven't checked yet. I don't have a real preference on engines though small block Chevys and GM V-6's seem to be the more common swaps that I've seen.

Any leads are appreciated.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Have you contacted xtrac to find out what "off the shelf" options you have?

What year(s) did the IRL use that transaxle and what motor options did the teams have at that time?

Long shot----try http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx.

Liked: 7

Sorry but you will not find an off the shelf solution. Both engines used at that time (Chevrolet and Nissan) had the same mounting which was specified by the rules. It is not a standard pattern. BTW the engine is a stressed member in those cars which will complicate your conversion.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've seen several conversions so I know that someone out there knows what they're doing. This was really meant to be a retirement project so I still have some time to plan and source parts.

And yes, building a cradle to support the engine and tie to the tub is also a task to be solved. So there's the adapter, the engine cradle and then a clutch.

Hmmm.... maybe hanging it on the wall wasn't such abad idea after all.

Liked: 3

David Ferguson at the DSR Forum built his own adapter plates for mazda to Hewland, (look under Car Building) check out his story, very well documented. He probably has sources or can do it.

Liked: 0

Post G force

I realize this is an old thread, but have you found an adapter and engine? Would you interested in buying a correct chevrolet for your project ( or another G Force car?) or perhaps selling your complete car?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Default No progress yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle D View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but have you found an adapter and engine? Would you interested in buying a correct chevrolet for your project ( or another G Force car?) or perhaps selling your complete car?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,

Hi. No real progress yet. I've done a lot of research on engine-to-bellhousing adapters and learned that it's not that difficult, but it does require a lot of precision measurements. The bigger challenge as it turns out is going to be finding a mass produced car engine that is short enough lengthwise to fit as the prescribed Chevy Gen II V-8 was only 22 inches long. So even a V-6 street engine is much longer than that from rear mounting face to front pulley.

So at the moment a have a couple of options:
    a) simply use a longer than prescribed engine, but then I'll have to extend the bodywork;
    b) keep the original overall length and bodywork by using a longer engine and replace the ridiculously long (24") factory "bellhousing" with something shorter, but then I'd have to fabricate a longer subframe to carry the rear suspension mounting points as those currently bolt to the side of the bellhousing;
    c) use a motorcycle engine, which would fit sizewise, but won't produce much power.

I'm still thinking about it and I'm not in any hurry. I'm attaching a photo of the engine compartment so you can see what I'm dealing with.
    The Chevy emblem is on the rollhoop, the black X-brace is part of a frame made to take the place of the stressed engine, and the grey thing behind that is the bellhousing. You can just see the two silver rods coming into the picture which are replacements for the coilover shocks.

Any constructive advice is appreciated, just don't expect any immediate progress, because like i said, I'm still in the planning phase.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1287.jpg 
Views:	1761 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	75513  

Liked: 0

Post G Force

Hey Alan, I don't have any ideas on engine options. What year is your car? What I'm actually looking for is a bellhousing for a 2000-2002 g Force. I'm looking for a friend who's not familiar with apex. The 195 xtrac is right, just not sure if GF05 is a 2005 car or just a model designation. If you wind up replacing he bellhousing, he might be interested in buying yours, or trading for a new Dalarra housing that is 4" shorter than the g Force.

Dave,

Hi. The GF05 was the car that raced during 2000 to 2002. But I'm not interested in selling mine, sorry.

-Alan

Thread Information