Liked: 174

Default Daytona - 2015 Runoffs

We we're discussing the 2015 Daytona Runoff's at the Mid-Ohio Pro Vee weekend, and our paddock neighbor John mentioned that he recommends the longbox since the shortbox runs out of revs too soon. Anyone have experience at Daytona that confirms or disputes his opinion on which tranny to use?

Thanks!

Mark

88' Citation 002'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

What layout of the track is being used? I would assume the same course used for the 24 Hours and most motorcycle races with both horseshoes and the chicane in the middle of the back straight.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Other than the oval, I didn't know there was another option than the 24 hour course?

Liked: 595

For what it's worth....... there can be about five different layouts other than the NAZCAR trioval.........with the 24 hour course being the most commonly known. The cycle guys stopped using the 24 hour course a few years ago for most races but not all. Runoffs will likely use the standard 24 hour course.

Liked: 822

To answer the OP question... YES... a long box is required. Should not make much diff if it's 22 or 26 3rd gear. I tried SB a few years ago and ran out of revs just after NASCAR T4 .. still a MILE to S/F line .. at max revs in 4th. Those miles were LONG .
    That is assuming that we will run a reasonable approximation of the 24 hour course (the standard SCCA configuration).
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Thanks Steve!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

What are the normal logistics for staying overnight with your RV? Can you just stay in the outside parking lot? What are the normal hours for the inside/paddock area?

Pets?

Brian

Liked: 822

Brian,
    The "normal" logistics of RV at Daytona are .. LEAVE THEM AT HOME.. or stay in one of the campgrounds nearby (there are several within 5 miles or so). For NORMAL (SCCA) events, Daytona gives everyone until 5:30 or 6P to get OUT of the track. NO CAMPING ALLOWED INSIDE. Camping has been allowed outside in a couple of areas, but there are NO "facilities" of any sort, but I have not been there in almost 10 years now.

That said, I HAVE BEEN TOLD that camping WILL be allowed for the Runoffs. If Laguna is any indicator, no doubt there will be a huge FEE associated with it, but we will likely know NOTHING until at least 1/2 way through next year.. if then.

Registration for Laguna opens next week and still, of the 6 or so questions/issues I have raised, only ONE has been answered or addressed. The rest are gray at best with NO hard info about how much most things will cost. So.. we have decided to take a pass this year.... at least for the time being. Too far to go for TOO MANY unknowns...
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 43

The 1969 runoffs at Daytona were very memorable. A fierce drafting contest indeed. James Killion won in a Zink, Bill Scott was second in a McNamara, and Bill Greer was third in another Zink. Other notables included Harry Ingle, Harvey Templeton, Harvey Staab, Fred Stout, Ray Weaver, John McGee, and Tom Davey. Truly a stellar cast, with many of the brightest lights in the history of the class.

Liked: 0

Default Daytona - 2015 Runoffs

I worked the 24 hours race in 2012, there is a Camping World store and campground with full hookups in the infield! All I saw at the 24 hours were class A motor homes along every inch of the track. I recall seeing a lot of pets on leashes in the infield as well. Workers ere allowed to park/camp for free in the northwest parking lot.
    I haven't heard any news on the 2015 Runoffs, but the track is all about RVs.

Liked: 232

Default Can't tell you about the Nat'l Runoffs .....

But at the SARRC Runoffs this past September, you had to leave the ALL Garages -(which Gates were locked ) at 8 on Thursday, 7 on Friday and 6 on Saturday (as I recall) BUT the rest of the track was open 24/7 and several RV 'ers remained all night.

Also, there a two 24hr Courses, the only difference is the configuration of the back straight chicane/bus stop - you can see the difference on Google earth. The rumor I am starting here and now without any credibility is they use the narrow bus stop.

Thread Information