Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 280

Default DUFFUS 2014 Update #1

Hi,

One of the DUFFUS (Da Unofficial Formula F United States) championship weekends has been arranged, so we want to give you who, what, where and how and see how you all feel about it. Please bear in mind that we are doing this just for the fun of racing in larger fields; no points; dubiously prestigious poorly crafted plastic trophies; and with the hope that you will find this appealing and decide to come and join us.

This event has caused us to break one of the promises that we made in our original post. Please keep reading if you are still interested.

The "far" (for us East Coasters) DUFFUS race is going to take place on Fourth of July weekend at Mid Ohio. Mike Rand of Formula Promotions (the organizers of the Pro F1600/F2000/Pro Atlantic series) has invited us to join them at Mid Ohio that weekend. Hence, the broken promise.............however; Mike is planning on racing with us that weekend. He has some very capable minions (my description, not his) who will look after the pro series drivers while he is out kicking our butts in between the pro series on track sessions.

This promises to be a very interesting weekend as Mike's group is planning on having an all "purpose built" race car weekend. In addition to the three pro series events and DUFFUS; there are races being planned for Formula Vee and for sport racing cars. This event will look very much like the 25th Anniversary of Formula Ford that Mike organized at Lime Rock in 1994.

We will get two sessions of on track time each day of the three day weekend. The format is for us to decide. At the moment we are looking at having one practice and one qualifying session on Friday; another qualifying session and a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday. We are considering that format so that those of us who have never been to Mid Ohio get a good amount of time to familiarize ourselves with the race course.

Formula Promotions will take care of timing and scoring and will be providing us with results sheets for our on track sessions. We will be responsible for our own tech inspection. As we mentioned previously, DUFFUS races will run under the SCCA Formula F rules package and the MARRS Club Ford rules will be used for those entering as Club Fords. The MARRS CF rules are essentially identical to the NARRC CF rules; hard tire compounds, one end outboard and Honda engines are eligible.

The entire weekend will run under an SCCA sanction, so it will count for license renewals. Any level of SCCA license is permissible unless you are planning on also running in one of the pro series events. In that case, you will have to have an SCCA Pro License. Mike has said that we are welcome to run in the pro series and would be willing to do something accommodating in terms of entry fee for those that wish to do that. You would however, have to run the pro series tires in the pro series sessions.

The entry fee for the weekend is going to be $495. For some perspective, a normal MARRS regional race is $275. A MARRS weekend consists of a qualifying session, a qualifying race and a feature race. Viewed through this lens; this seems like a very reasonable charge for the three day weekend.

The four of us have some concerns and legitimate reservations. We have concerns regarding how you might respond to or feel about the entry fee; about the three day weekend; about sharing in the Pro weekend rather than it being a regular SCCA regional race; about the number of on track sessions. We also very much like this idea and we hope you do as well.

We have some opportunities for additional events like this, but we really need to know how you feel about this. We are trying to adhere to our low key, very informal, "flash mob" intent, but I suspect that most flash mob type things do require some amount of organization and planning. Please bear in mind that we (Doug, Dave, Phil & I) do not receive any portion of the proceeds. We are doing this to try and see if there are more drivers like us who would like to race in larger fields reminiscent of the "old days". In order to do this there are still some i's the need dotting and t's that need crossing.

We four will be at Mid Ohio on the Fourth of July; can we expect some company?

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    Club Ford #04

Liked: 20

I'm in......

Liked: 207

Default Rand and Company

If you have never raced one of Rand's pro series weekends, you are in for a treat. Mike and his group are professional and treat all racers the same. I realize that the DUFFUS group will run separately but being hosted by Mike's team will help to insure things run smoothly over the weekend.

If there is room for a vintage FF, then I'm in. This will be an absolute blast and well worth the entry fee.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 157

Default Love it

I am already a fan of the pro series. The DUFFUS Entry fee looks big at first glance but folks who have never run with the pro series will suddenly realize that you get very high quality track time, in very large helpings while running in a single class group. It does not get better.

I like the idea of running both pro and DUFFUS. Count me in

Steve

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

I see you can run with the Duffis group & compete in the Pro Series, is Mike going to let us Pro Series drivers run with the Duffis group as well if we like?
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 9

This sounds like it could be just like the regional race that was at the 40th. Very cool! Show up and race what you have or can borrow. With a wide range of performance levels, everybody can enjoy some good old fun.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

We'll be there.

Essentially....anyone with a FF is welcome. If you are running vintage you may want to consider a.set of new or used of Hoosier MARRS spec or R35s...maybe Joe has more to say about that..

Liked: 56

For this event, and running with Rand's Formula Promotions group, we absolutely WILL be there.
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Ralph,

You are most welcome as is anyone who would like to run a vintage legal/level car. We cannot split out a separate group, but I cannot see why we could not get an extra set of $5 horses butt trophies and have a vintage podium in addition to the lavish FF & CF podium ceremonies we have planned ("de plane, de plane...shut up Tatoo!").

All kidding aside; absolutely come and have some fun with us. The primary differentiation between the Club Ford and vintage legal cars is that the iron head is the only accepted cylinder head for vintage and the treaded Dunlop tires are the only vintage legal tires. We will all be running together, but that should be really simple for us to keep track of.

As for the stepping from one series to another. That is one of the unintended consequences that we had some legitimate reservations about. I cannot speak for Mike on this one, but I would ask you to consider the circumstances. One of the reservations is that Formula Promotions "owns" the weekend and they have revenue targets to meet in order to make sure they can still do what they are doing. I am pretty sure that there would be additional entry fee charges for those who wanted to do pro and DUFFUS sessions just as there would be if DUFFUS entrants wanted to run the pro sessions. There won't be any Miatas or IT cars to fill the coffers, just us.

Another reservation from the pro side would be the perception that perhaps there would be an unfair advantage gained from being able to run the additional sessions. Mike and I talked about it, but could not come up with any good reasons to keep people from spending more money if that is what they choose to do, but Mike has the final word on this.

I hope that helps answers some of the questions asked to this point.

Thanks,

Joe M.

Liked: 207

Joe:

I just might run the iron head and the Dunlops just to see how close I might get to some folks. Think of it as a personal challenge.

Or, maybe I'll buy another car...
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 667

I'm thinking of disguising my chihuahua as an anchor-baby so I can sneak her in. Sounds like a great weekend. Run as much as you can afford, and watch great racing between sessions. Picture me turning green as I run with one other guy at Roebling.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 127

I will do my very best to have the car out there for this one-Was already planning on being there for the Pro series weekend to work.

This has the potential to be an awesome weekend.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default I'd love it.

That great. As a guy with the least experience in the oldest FF (neither CF or vintage legal) I will plan on being there. I met Mike at the pro race at VIR last year and its a great show he puts on. A 3 day race weekend with mostly FF in all its variations sounds fantastic. We're on a budget but how many chances do we get these days to run with a lot of other Fords.

Ric

Liked: 4

Default Mid Ohio

Sounds great Joe, I'm in.
    Jim MacNicholl

Joe or Rand,

Given the 2 sessions for DUFFUS per day, what is the total track time allotted for the group each day? Just curious.

Thanks,

Will
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 157

Default Is this going to turn into a...

45th anniversary gathering of Formula Ford?? If not worldwide, at least for the Midwest and Northeast USA?

Exciting!

The mission statement of DUFFUS is simple. Fun.
    Fun is defined in the DUFFUS by-laws, beer consumption and hotel and restaurant etiquette manual as: many Formula Fords going fast, many track time and not many or none other cars.
    Whatever else happens , happens.
    Can't wait.

Hi,

The sessions for the pro series have been between 25 to 30 minutes. We can expect about 20 to 22 minute sessions or about 75% of what the pro sessions are. This is not cast in stone, but we can count on something like that.

For comparison purposes; a typical MARRS Summit Point weekend is 12 to 15 minutes for qualifying; a 14 lap qualifying race (approximately 18 to 20 minutes) and a 16 lap feature race (approximately 22 minutes).

Does that help?

Joe M.

Exactly what I was looking for-sounds very reasonable, slightly better than your typical regional weekend as far as time per session. Combined with 2 sessions per day x 3 days, it's a good deal.

Steve-I agree, this has the potential to be HUGE!
    Will Velkoff

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar

" The format is for us to decide. At the moment we are looking at having one practice and one qualifying session on Friday; another qualifying session and a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday."

Can you discuss how you want to set the grid for the Sunday races? I've not run one of your Regionals and have seen it done lots of ways in the past.

Primarily its so I know if I have to ply my competitors with Canadian beer and Rye on the Friday or Saturday evening.

I'll be there in a CF.

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 195

Maybe a thought is to have 2 practice sessions and one qual session. This might make people not familiar with the track feel more comfortable coming out to the event.

Would you guys start all races based on qualifying or would you start race 2 and 3 based on how you finish the previous race? fast time from previous race?

Liked: 64

This series is great News for me! I can drag the old Merlyn out and compete against some very good drivers! Something to look forward to!

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

I agree with Andy's format. Swapping a Q for a practice would be preferable to me, and I would imagine anyone else who's never been there

Liked: 313

Wes, you made my day! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Now if Jason Byers joins in we'll have some pretty good representation from the mid-west.

Hi,

Thank you for checking in and for the very valuable input. It is nice to hear from Jonathan. If you have not seen a Ferret you are in for a treat! What a neat little car!

The format is one of the reasons we wanted your feedback. One of the reasons for suggesting two qualifying sessions was to provide an additional "timed" session in case someone had some problem during the first qualifying session and that would give them an second opportunity to get a better starting position.

But we are here to listen and give you what you want (within reason) so how about if decide that at Mid Ohio we will have two practice sessions and a single qualifying session?

As for grid positions; the race one grid will obviously come from the qual session.

Let's talk about the options for the grids in race two and race three.

Would you prefer to have the grid for race two to be set by best lap time achieved in either qualifying or race 1 (best time from either sets the grid for race two)? Vote for Option 1.

Or would you prefer to set the grid for race two by finishing position in race one? Vote for Option 2.

On to race three; grid by best time from either qual, race one or race two (best time from any of the three previous sessions)? Vote for Option 3.

Or grid race three by results from race two? Vote for Option 4.

There are pros and cons to each of the options. My preference is for Options 1 & 3, but I am just one vote.

At some point in time some form of benevolent dictatorship will come into power, but for now let's see if we can operate a democracy so please let us know your preferences. Please bear in mind that Formula Promotions is going to do our timing and scoring, but as long as our choices don't create an untenable situation for them we should be okay.

Sound fair and reasonable?

Thanks,

Joe M.

Joe,

I'd agree for doing 2 practice sessions for Friday.

Here's my opinion on it.

Saturday AM, Q1

Saturday PM, R1, with grid set by results from Q1.

Sunday AM, R2 with grid set by best lap time of R1.

Sunday PM, R3 with grid set by best lap time of R2.

Thanks,

Will
    Will Velkoff

+ 1 for WV's suggestion.

Jonathan

Liked: 29

+ 1 one more for WV's suggestion.

I think the friday practice X's 2, with Qualifying and a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday is a very goodidea. Fastest time in each of race one and two to determine the grid for the next race is fair and a good idea as well....

Okay,

Thanks for all the feedback. The DUFFUS at Mid Ohio with Formula Promotions will have two practice sessions on Friday, a qualifying session on Saturday morning and a race on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning we will race with the grid determined by the fastest lap in Race 1. Sunday afternoon we will race with the grid determined by the fastest lap in Race 2.

I hope to have another update toward the end of this week, but I do have a concern. I think it is a really good idea to get the word out early and to get the venues and schedule done early; but I am concerned that we might lose some enthusiasm by getting this done so soon before the next season.

So, one of the four original DUFFI has suggested that we try and find ways to keep interest in the DUFFUS series current in this forum. The updates don't have to come from us; they could come from you. What are you planning on driving at DUFFUS? Are there any speed traps that we need to be wary of? Do you know of any great places to stay or hang out near a DUFFUS venue? Are there any restaurants that only serve peas as their vegetable of the day; I have to know because a pea is something you take; not something you eat!!!!! (Joe's food rule #3).

I will start; I will be driving a different car next season. I have sold my Tiga and I have a new project in the garage. It is a Royale RP24 formerly driven by Nick Koslov and Bob Berman. However, I cannot do any work on the RP24 until I finish the ground up that I am doing for Dave Harmison on his Royale RP21. Dave won't let me increase the wheelbase by 18 inches so he can be more comfortable, but I think he will really like the car when he gets it back.

Thanks again for thinking this is a good idea,

Joe Marcinski
    Club Ford #o4
    Last edited by Joe Marcinski; 11.10.13 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Joe,
    Will we be using the Great Lakes Club Ford rules? Hoosier R60? Aluminum heads OK?
    Thanks Wes

Hi Wes,

Club Ford will be Hoosier R60's, American Racer 133's or the treaded Dunlops (I do not recall the part numbers) or (really, really old) Goodyear 600's and aluminum heads are legal. I believe that the only difference between the MARRS Club Ford rules and the Great Lakes Club Ford rules are that we allow Honda engines in Club Ford legal chassis in MARRS.

Perhaps Chuck Smith can chime in here to confirm that for us. I think that Chuck is still the CF coordinator for Great Lakes, but I may be mistaken. I believe that the primary reason that Kevin Brumbaugh ran with us in MARRS this past season is that his Crossle' Honda was not eligible for Club Ford under the Great Lakes rules.

In the MARRS series we held off for a couple of seasons on allowing Honda engines in CF because we wanted the throttle body size to be stabilized at the national/majors level so that we would not have to deal with that debate/argument it on a yearly basis.

I hope that helps.

Joe Marcinski

Liked: 14

The Berman car is one of the fastest CF's ever to grace the planet. If it had to be sold I am glad you have it as your ADF and Tiga were well done. Take good care of it Joe, even I have an attachment to that car and it wasn't even mine.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

I second Kevin's comments about your new Royale Joe. Bob Berman was a fast and great competitor in that car. He was my 1st driving instructor and always willing to provide advice when I started racing. I am glad his car has found a good home. Did your Tiga stay in the Mid Atlantic?

Wow, Joe is rebuilding Dave's car!?!? Bad news for all competitors! That's all Dave needs is a fast, well prepped car! Than Joe is hopping into a hotrod Royale!?! This series could prove more competitive than Rand's Pro series!!!

Liked: 313

Work is going to kick my butt this winter so when Joe suggested I leave my car with him after Summit Point, we talked up a plan and I gave him "the keys".

Phil with his top-notch Zink, Wes with his always immaculate Merlyn and hopefully Jason with his sparkling Crossle. I just didn't want to show up in my car the way it always looks. Fast, yes, pretty, not so much.

"..we might lose some enthusiasm by getting this done so soon before the next season."

Progress pictures will be most motivational during the long cold winter...

Liked: 39

Joe, pretty it up all you want, but please, please put some slow into Harmison's car.

Re GLDiv CFF rules, the Honda was not allowed in 2013 but it will be considered for 2014. That decision should be made soon. Otherwise our rules are similar to MARRS but we don't allow the tweener cars at a higher weight. Current rules are available on the GLDiv website; I'll post the 2014 rules here once they are approved.

That being said, since your event is not an SCCA Regional, seems to me you can invoke MARRS or any other rule set you want.

See you in July!

Chuck Smith
    CFF Liaison, GLDiv
    Tiga FFA-81

Thanks for the update on the Great Lakes CF rules Chuck. Buy the way; there is a brand new red nose that will be making the trip to Mid Ohio as well.

One of the concerns I have is that if Dave does lose a tenth or two that he might go all Lebron and dunk on me!!! I couldn't live with shame of being posterized in the paddock!!!

We have an initial version of the DUFFUS 2014 poster or rather we have the DUFFUS logo which will go on the poster as soon as we get the schedule finalized.

If Angela Slocum and Dave Gernert get a chance; perhaps they can upload it to this thread?

I know that some people don't care much for the DUFFUS name and the logo might further tax their patience, but I have always truly admired people who are really good at poking fun at themselves. And we are trying really hard to remind everyone that we are doing this for one reason and one reason alone; to have fun................

Thanks,

Joe M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information