Liked: 127

Default NARRC Runoffs 2013

Registration is now open for the 2013 NARRC Runoffs at Lime Rock, September 20th-21st.

This year there will be a new format, with a normal qualifying session Friday AM, Qualifying Sprint race Friday PM, Qualifying race Saturday AM, and finally the 20 lap feature race Saturday PM. Best lap time of the three sessions will determine the grid for the feature race (20 laps).

Who's going to be there?

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...A3290AF991E8E6
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default On the fence

I am on the fence with the new format. Don't see the point in making a shorter race for a meaningless race in the morning. If the track is damp Saturday morning, why even go out?

Ed
    Last edited by EACIII; 08.26.13 at 2:09 PM. Reason: made better

Liked: 4

Ed,
    Personally I prefer the longer races to maximise track time, however I have had lots of requests for more races. The reasoning behind the more races request is the longer races seem to become stable after 10 - 15 laps and the more starts the more excitement. Please come join us for this event and let me know how you feel after the weekend.
    David Lapham - Race Chair and F-500 #56

Liked: 157

Default Should be there

FF If the Wyvern survives the Fun One

CF If I get the engine rebuilt, installed and ready on time (long shot)

Both!! Some kind lunar alignment needed

Liked: 10

Default I'm in

I'm in. How come there is no pulldown for CF class?
    I have a 1972 Hawke DL9. Not going to be too competitive in FF.

Jimmy Hanrahan
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Jim-It's under "NCF"

-Will
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 4

Jim,
    If you enter as NCF please be aware of the Tire rules.
    www.narrc.com/rules.html

Liked: 18

Default Uniform C/F

Not in SCCA can there be a uniform set of rules so a C/F driver can race with another region without hassle. Not only tires but engines as well. The original C/F concept was to keep the costs at a minimum but then the inmates from each region changed the rules to satisfy themselfs and then complain about the loss of competitors! ".Hey, were is the forest all I see is trees."

Liked: 8

Default NARRC Runnoffs

Hi Buddy:
    First let me say that you are a nice guy and The FRCCA has always been welcoming to me whenever I have shown up at your events.
    However having said that I will tell you that your comments are somewhat misguided given your groups rules.
    Yes, I can run in SCCA trim, but that usually relegated me to being a single car in class. I really don't think that all your cost containment items (no gear changes, no racing clutches etc) are necessary.
    You mandate a hard compound spec tire that technically isn't any different then the NARRC rules. Actually more restrictive, because I have more choices in NARRC.
    It would be nice to be able to have the same set of rules across sanctioning bodies.
    I certainly don't understand your race groupings as well.
    Tyros makes perfect sense for newcomers to class, but why have 2 additional groups of Fords. I could never understood the Avanti class and the necessity to be invited to run with them. You are either a good competent driver or you're not.
    These comments are nothing that I haven't said to John on several occasions.
    I would have probably run with your group for a few events this season if not for 2 perfectly good engines either blowing up or having a part come loose and doing internal damage that requires a rebuild.
    Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01

Liked: 142

my car is a bare chassis at the moment, anyone know where I can get my hands on a NCF for the NARRC runoffs?
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Greg, the answer is really quite simple. Buddy is the in the same position as SCCA. a service is provided to drivers. but always being smarter than everyone else, they want to re-invent the wheel, or pursue some perceived advantage. when i started there was esssentially 4 classes in open wheel. now there's more than a dozen with probably a dozen more that have fallen by the wayside. and all the time these idiots complaining of diminshing fields. when you factor in a labile economy, racing organizations are forced to accept driver demands in order to have adequate car counts at events and survive. Buddy didn't make the rules and then accept the cars. he adjusted his rules in order to provide a place for cars that were already out there to run. i think you are switching the cart and the horse on him. when we started RCCA in 1980 we had 3 classes, novice, senior, and wings. in a few short years the club went for 4 cars to over 100 at an event. i agree the Avanti thing appears a little cliquish, but the guys running in it are very nice, and it is his best supported run group to my knowledge. i believe if you ask him, he'd much prefer the original class structure.

Liked: 18

Default Clarification

Greg; If you or Sam had come to me I would gladly answer your questions but maybe answering your questions here on ApexSpeed will let others understand the FRCCA concepts. I started Club Ford with the concept of "if a driver wants a budget class for whatever reason I will be sure the costs stay low" I still believe if a driver wants to spend money on data aqua. fancy clutches, aluminum heads that driver should race in F/F. When a drivers states they cannot afford F/F, my question is why do you want to be a little pregnat? The low cost attracted many drivers BUT when those drivers want a little more it takes away the attraction for the next new driver. Next is the tires, The FRCCA first had M&H tires #24 GREAT tire fast and NO new tire atvantage acually faster with age! When they no longer became available we switched to Hoosier, they made a compound just for us with RCCA on the sidewall. They stopped making them for us around 1992 and told us the compound 60 was all we could get, The drivers quickly found out that the 60's had "Hot laps" in them for about two of our races as at the time we had 5 heat cycles per event. American Racers asked us to use their 133 compound and we found that they are the same new or old and many of our lap records are held using old tires. Finally, the different classes; you realize the advantage of having a class just for begineers, after they race for a season we graduate them into the traditanial class of C/F called F/1600. Same car same everything. By-the way we used to allow any gear ratio but the drivers choose to restrict the changing of gears and the compromise set of ratioes we use have worked out very well. A driver must be invited into the Avanti class because "It is a recipe for disaster!" You see the more points you get in a season the further back you must start and the driver is committed to the full 12 race season! The Avanti drivers record MUST show Sportsmanship and the willingness to avoid and accident even if it cost them a position. Not everyone wants to be in Avanti, it is not traditonal. CF/1600 is standard.
    Greg I hope this clears up your questions and anyone out there who wants to talk with me I can be reached at 304-725-4644 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    yours for the Sport AJ
    Last edited by Bud Pug; 09.11.13 at 2:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Calling all FF/NCF drivers entered for the NARRC runoffs...I'd like to try and get the FF cars into Group 3 with NCF, F500, and FV so we can all be racing together, as I don't know of anyone double dipping NCF and FF.

If the FF guys feel the same way, send an email to the Chief Steward Dave Perlman at dperl1@optonline.net so it can happen, I sent a message in already but he said he will need a majority from the FF entries.

-Will
    Will Velkoff

Registration closes in 24 hours-Where are all the FF/CF cars at??
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 10

Default CF/NCF

Will, I was planning on running my NCF Hawke. Sadly the fuel bag sprung a leak Labor Day weekend.

Jimmy
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Yeah, I figured that after your post-saw you entered for FC-nice turnout for you guys.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 142

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    Registration closes in 24 hours-Where are all the FF/CF cars at??
    I've been unable to locate a car
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Here's a video of some of the action during Friday afternoons qualifying sprint...some tight racing! Ignore the length of the video, didn't edit and had a lot of extra filming at the end when I forgot to turn the camera off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD5O4...ature=youtu.be
    Will Velkoff

Thread Information