Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 26

Default TIG welding at the 45th FF festival

Hi Guys,
    Just a note , I will be at Barber with my welder, if someone needs some steel, aluminum or stainless welding done.
    thanks, nick
    www.fuhsfab.com

Liked: 444

Liked: 157

Liked: 667

Default I hope somebody got video

Sounds like it was a great race. Video?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

My Facebook page has qual video and rain race video
    Not sure if you have to be my "friend" to see, if so let's be friends !

Franklin Futrelle

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Congratulations on your win Franklin
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 9

Default Barber FF45th

It was fun to watch. I had the pleasure of watching it with Josef N. from top of the 'tower'. Franklin consistently had the rear end hung out all the way through the hairpin. Wouldn't think that would be quick but, each time gained a bit more from it. Josef smiling the entire time. Franklin set the bar for the FF race on Sunday.

Liked: 224

National Speedsport News article has one inaccurate statement:

Sunday morning provided Newgarden, the only American to ever win the prestigious Formula Ford Festival in England, an opportunity to run a few laps in the car. He became the first driver all weekend to run a sub 1:33 lap...
    I'm sure they meant the first FF to break 1:33, but technically, Clint McMahan was the first to run under 1:33 on Sat, with a qualifying time of 1:32.308 in his Suzuki 600 powered F500. Must be a great feeling to run a faster lap than a current Indy Car driver on the same weekend!

Liked: 551

Congrats Franklin. Impressive.

It was fun to read Newgarden's comments about how much fun he had racing against Tim and Max.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 259

Default results (not press releases) ???

where can the results (not press releases) be found on-line? the usual stuff: who entered, qualifying time, starting order, finishing order, finishing time difference, fastest lap, ......

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 151

I think this link has most of what you are looking for:

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=7113

Look on the right side of the page.

Who prepped Newgarden's car?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4303

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post

Who prepped Newgarden's car?
    According to the one article, Jay Motorsports.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 259

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I think this link has most of what you are looking for:

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=7113

Look on the right side of the page.

thanks Wren !

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 202

Purple Frog was there the entire weekend to provide color commentary from the announcer's booth, so hopefully he will chime in soon regarding the event. Granted I'm biased, but (as I told my wife last night) I feel the event was financial failure but an artistic success. The FF race on Sunday was spell-binding and it showed (a) as many of us suspect our top club racers measure up well to Pro drivers yet (b) there's a reason Josef Newgarden makes a living driving a race car.

I was up in the Tower for Sunday's race and Josef, (three-time National Champion) Tim Kautz, and (16-year old) Max Mallinen put on a helluva show! Tim's nose flew off (not sure if there was contact or not) on the second corner but given Barber's relatively short straights aero is not as big a factor as it is other places. After Josef worked thru the pack and joined those two it became obvious each of them were stronger at different places on the track.

About three laps in a row Josef would pass for the lead under braking for the hairpin (Turn 5) but Tim & Max would exit the corner better and pass him back going up to the Museum turns. One lap all three went into that downhill right-left-right combination three wide! They never touched, but I'm sure Cliff Johnson (who was maybe 1 second back in fourth and is older than Max and Josef combined ) was wondering if they'd get through there unscathed. They did and the battle continued.

To me the move that decided the race was Josef again passing Tim (with Max right behind) on the inside going into Five, but instead of completing the pass Josef stayed right next to the #88 car, thus controlling Tim's turn-in and killing Tim's exit speed as well as Max's. That kept both Tim & Max behind instead of beside Josef going up to the Museum, then Josef slowly pulled away after that. It was an excellent example of race craft that utilized his car's advantage while neutralizing the strengths of his opponents!

Tim got sideways a few laps later trying to keep up thru the Roller Coaster where Josef also made time on the other two, which elevated Cliff to the third spot (and first in the Master's class). Just a tremendous, tremendous race at an awesome facility, and those that chose not to attend missed a remarkable event!

As I've said earlier in this thread and repeated at the event this weekend, I've not given up on the Festival concept. There will certainly be operational and organizational tweaks but the biggest lesson learned is getting the word out sooner, so while we don't know the dates or location, be sure and plan on the FF 50th birthday party in 2019!

More later...
    Last edited by GT1Vette; 08.11.14 at 1:19 PM.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Butch,

Don't beat yourself up over the 45th, I am sure there were things that could have been done better & I am sure will be for the upcoming 50th.

In the end though, my belief at least, is that 45th is not celebrated in our society compared to a 40th or 50th...I wouldn't have expected a huge turn out.
    Steve Bamford

@Frank: I am too old for facebook, but not too old to make friends. Come to CMP or Roebling for a regional sometime when you need some track time. Drop in at the paddock.

@Butch: Test day, longer track so the rest of us don't get lapped so often. Bring back Josef for the 50th. All in all, though, nobel effort and a great artistic success, it seems. Congratulations! And congratulation to the winners!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 5

Told by pm that my post is not welcome here. Deleted.
    Jim
    Last edited by jim murphy; 08.12.14 at 10:40 AM.

Liked: 232

Default Event Commentary ..............

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    I feel the event was financial failure but an artistic success. .....

Just a tremendous, tremendous race at an awesome facility, and those that chose not to attend missed a remarkable event!

As I've said earlier in this thread and repeated at the event this weekend, I've not given up on the Festival concept. There will certainly be operational and organizational tweaks but the biggest lesson learned is getting the word out sooner, so while we don't know the dates or location, be sure and plan on the FF 50th birthday party in 2019!

More later...

View from a competing team - Jason (and family) had a very nice time [If interested, personal race report follows] - a good rehearsal for the 50th (".... mark your calendar everone- it will occur ..." Butch K) - The staff, facility all personal were great PF as color commentator did an EXCELLENT job- went through the museum again (third time) the expanded formula 1/Indy/sports car Lotus section [with multiple F1 and FF cars] was simply amazing - On the top of the four (or is it five) story elevator (which is all glass and in which a full size car can fit) sits, a full in raw carbon fibre Arrow's F1 Car !!!

The track had grip (swept every morning) the viewing is great, the grounds meticulous.

Actually, the race facility in NOT maintained but groomed and as to the race track layout (" ..... This place is great - man it is fun !!!" - Tim Kautz) Jason - " ..... along with COTA hands down, my favorite place to race"

Josef as a 23 year old was an excellent speaker and spent over 1 3/4 hours meeting/speaking to many racers/fans and officials at the Saturday night dinner - including significant time with Jason discussing FF racing in England - "The most pure fun I every had in a racecar was racing Formula Ford in England" - Josef) Kudos to Honda for bringing him ..........

Lisa Noble - spoke and went through the "whose who" of FF racing - reviewing drivers who came up through the ranks ......., etc.

During the dinner, big flat screens where everywhere, running prior Anniversary videos on these screens - featuring Joe S, David L., Skip Barber, Bruce McG., friends old and some gone ..... you get the idea - Query ? Damn, where is the footage from the 40th ???

At the end of the race of an outstanding FF race - Josef "That was sooooo much fun - I hope they will invite me again, I'll be back - this was pure racing for racing's sake - God, I just loved it !!!"

Any one who wanted a pic with him in front of the Majors banner - "No problem/my pleasure ..." and hung around until all where done.

While, we may have to wait five (5) years for the FF 50th, (Jason says same place - spring or fall) I hope a "Festival Of Speed -2015 East Coast " say during the spring at oh - VIR, Mid-Ohio, RA or Watkins as a stand alone Major for say FF, CF, F5/6 & V, FC, SFR and FE is in the planning as we speak, with announcement at the 2014 ARRC .

Note our races ? - Saturday running third and actually moving up- until "dash alarm" - "overheating alert" in the AiM - and Jason retired on lap 6 fearing engine damage - (track got quicker at the end as it dried) and ugh faulty sensor!!! - AiM at the track and repaired -Sunday - started third - hit in the head with Kautz's nose - part of the body work went under the car/tire/suspension (will load video soon) - could not turn - straight off into the gravel - spin, recovered lost what seed like fifteen+ seconds from the leaders - raced back to 6th - leaders were flying in the middle and at the end lap record after lap record) For us one more year for our db-1 Kent in the log book.

Happy we went ? - you bet'ch ya.
    Last edited by Swift17; 09.30.14 at 3:45 PM.

Liked: 224

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    Barber is the rare type of track with short straights and LOTS of corners that allows the smaller (80"wb) F5/6 of Clint McMahan's skills to run lap times as fast as FM's and FE's in the past so his running a 1:32.3 to FF's 1:32.4 this past weekend is not surprising at all. IF you had lots of acceleration out of the corners, like Clint had, then you had a distinct advantage at this track.

Jim
    You obviously misunderstood my post. I was not surprised at all, just pointing out the error in the media report and giving a "shout out" to Clint. He is a great driver and knows the track. Even at the Sprints (long straights and FEWER corners), his best time during the weekend was only .2 seconds slower than the best FF time.

Liked: 3772

Butch rang me up a few weeks ago and asked if I would drive up and provide "color commentary" over the P.A. system for the Summer Speedfest. At first one would have to question Butch's judgment, but apparently he wasn't too worried because he had already signed up Hayward Wagner for the main chair in the announcer's booth. My only previous experience was doing a parody Go-Pro broadcast with the one and only Coop in the Turn 5 stands at the 2013 Runons during the F1000 race. Besides, Butch probably knew that Lisa Noble had me on super-secret probation after some of my entertaining '13 Runon extracurricular activities. Load those facts up with the high level of security on the grounds of Barber Motorsports Park, I drove to B'ham Bama on my best behavior.

I spent 7 years with the pro series trying to convince those with a Nor'Easter mindset that they really needed to have races at Barber Motorsports Park. What a fantastic facility, and track suited very well to small-bore formula cars. Sort of an "equalizer" track that doesn't require the last mph of top speed, but rewards the ability to drive a rhythm on a technical course. So, yeah, I'm biased. One of the finest facilities in the country.

I rolled onto the grounds early enough Friday to check out the museum. Even though, I won the first CFC race ever held at the facility I saw no mention of my accomplishment, nor of the fact that Sean O'Connell (carnut169) had won the first ever FC race on the track. But, OMG! what a museum. Over 650 very special historic motorcycles on display in a fashion befitting the high art that they are. Pleasantly surprised we found a extensive collection of Lotus race cars, and very historic Lotus vehicles. Not, to mention a nice collection of F1 and F5000 cars. The place was pure stimulus overload. And Mr. Barber has another 700+ vehicles in another special storage facility. The ones that are displayed must be operational and ready for a tour of the track at Mr. Barber's request.

Mr. Barber himself was a wonderful host. He checked in frequently in the tower and freely talked to guests. His knowledge of vintage race cars is very extensive. He was 'hands on' during the weekend checking the facility and getting updates from his staff about the condition of the track, etc. They just spent a bundle improving the drainage system, so they monitored the Saturday downpour closely. The whole facility is landscaped as if it could stand in for Augusta National. There is even a handout available to guide one to the 39 different sculptures scattered over the grounds. The restrooms in the paddock are covered up in white tile with a full time cleaning staff. No siree, we were not at Nelson Ledges anymore.

Most I talked to were amazed at the amount of grip the surface had, and especially how much grip in the wet.

Saturday morning I set out to walk the paddock and interview the players so that maybe I would have some "color" once Hayward turn in the microphones. I was really impressed with 17 year old Max Mullinen. The kid is ranked 17th in the U.S. in downhill skiing, aiming at the next winter Olympics. Max isn't like most teenagers I've met. Well spoken and easy to converse with, he seems advanced for his age. He is the real deal.

Cliff Johnson had his beautiful Piper parked under the Swan tent with Max's Spectrum. Cliff's car could just be rolled over to Mr. Barber's museum, as well as could Tim Kautz's gleaming Piper.

It was great to talk with Frank Chambers, and see Gary Guzman return to racing after a 5 year break. Ed Midgley had his very adorable granddaughter in tow, and the Dangerous Cargo gang were on deck in force. Word was that their DB-1 was purchased the same day (or close) that Jason was born. The Thompson family unloaded the bright blue and orange Swift, and I finally found out they don't brew moonshine in Wetumpka Alabama, but instead build high tech cooling systems for very specialized processors. In the HPD garage I discovered Franklin Futrelle might have one of the cutest wives in racing. Amazing all the neat things you can find out when you aren't buried in a race car in the paddock, but able to stroll around.

Almost to a person, everyone talked about the "50th". And, for sure it would not be in Alabama in August....

Practice was practice. Most were struggling with gear choices. (think; Blackhawk Farms). But, the cream rose to the top as the session went on.

Of course all the dry practice was sort of wasted on Saturday's race, because on cue, about an hour before the race the bottom fell out. It was like a tropical storm caliber storm. Lots and lots of water, with rain blowing horizontal. The next hour was spent watching teams try to decide which tires to go to. Everybody went out on wets.
    Franklin had a significant amount of experience at the track, and it showed immediately as he was able to get out of the Station 6 (T5) hairpin as if it was a dry track, while the rest of the field paddled around on what they thought should be the dry line. That was the basic story of Saturday's race. The only thing most teams learned was the track had amazing grip in the wet. File that away for some other weekend, because it didn't rain again.

The banquet Saturday night was nicely done. For me, the highlight was Josef. What a class act. He gave a great little talk, but more special was the amount of quality time he gave all who had questions. He didn't sneak out the side door, but stayed and conversed with all comers as long as there were inquiries. Thanks to HPD for their support to the event in the form of showing us Josef un-edited.

The intensity of Sunday's race was no surprise to me, for I have been watching live F1600 pro races for a few years now. The first ten laps were a blast to watch. The 'clubbies" were in the hunt. It looked like both Tim kautz and Max had better gearing coming out of T5, and also through the "kink" on the back. But, Josef was so fast through T12- T16. Tim's skinny rear tires were toast by lap 9. Max and Tim working together could reel in Josef, but with Tim out Max lost his dance partner. Max went to school studying Josef's lines, and probably learned more about handling a FF in the last 10 laps than any other time all season. OBTW, Tim was the only one running skinnies. After the race he still swears by them.
    In impound, it was quickly discovered that when Tim bumped Max in T1 lap 1, it bent Max's LR suspension. So... if I was Max, I'd use that excuse. But, Max needs no excuses, he showed he is certainly going to be a force to be reckon'ed with.

If there was a "Weekend Points Leader" it was Cliff Johnson, who scored two podiums.

Butch, Terry Ozmet, et al. went out on a limb and took the big leap of faith and attempted an "Invitational". With the help of the Atlanta Region they put on a spectacular event. As a club racer you could not ask for better. It was on the level of an ARRC, or a two day Runoffs. For hundreds of reasons not many competitors took advantage, and a bundle was lost. Even so, during load-up Sunday afternoon speaking with Butch he still has faith that the concept is a good one, and he is going to continue to try put on events that run single class run groups with lots of track time. Hopefully, he will try again for formula cars.

Hayward Wagner is a pretty darn good announcer. It was a pleasure to work beside him. I think I even learned a lot about the process. But, I don't expect a call from Velocity, for I am surely not ready for prime time.

P.S. One could do a whole story just on the new brake pedal assembly that Brandon Dixon has crafted. It is as wizzy as wizzy can get. It too could be just put on display in Mr. Barber's museum.

Liked: 3772

Default also....

A few words about the CF races at the Summer Speedfest that was held at Barber motorsports Park.

Court Dowis was there with his '79 VD and Chris Forrer with his gorgeous Tiga.
    Court is chasing points for the SARRC Championship and has to go to Charlotte next weekend, so when it rained on Saturday he originally opted to stay under the tent, because if he bent the car in the rain he wouldn't have enough time to or money to get it ready for Charlotte. Everybody, and Court's devil on his shoulder, kept ragging him about the decision. So at the last minute he decided to go out... only to be late to grid. Chris, seeing Court was not going to get to roll out with the field then decided to do one of the great sportsman deals I've seen in a while.

When they threw the green laundry, Chris just drove around in second gear waiting for Court to get off the grid and catch up. Then they ran nose-to-tail for the whole race in the wet. On the last lap, Chris dove deeper into T5 and pulled off the winning pass.

On Sunday, in the dry, Chris ran off and hid from Court. But......
    It was a 21 lap (or 45 minute race). Longer than Regionals. When the white flag was waved for Chris, he had a great lead. But about the time he got over near the museum he ran totally out of fuel, and Court ended up taking the checker.

Those two may have had more fun than anyone else at the event.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 430

Well put Frog. I was there Saturday sitting on the hill at turn 1-2. Just a buddy and myself sitting up on the hill under the trees with an umbbrella in a lightening storm. The ran was pouring down but it didn't take long for the track to dry out again. Great racing, great day, even better track and musuem. Can't wait for the 50th which I plan on participating in.
    Graham

Liked: 202

One small correction - while many Atlanta Region members were certainly in evidence the regions co-hosting the event were Tennessee Valley and Alabama. For those that want to see what they missed (or want to return to the facility), the same two regions are hosting an event Aug 30-31:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...nnessee-322182
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    " .... and the Dangerous Cargo gang were on deck in force. Word was that their DB-1 was purchased the same day (or close) that Jason was born. ....
    Yup pretty close !! The car db-1/19-85 was one of three (3) cars bought in February of 1985 by the Smith Brothers of Evergreen Aviation fame and was their back up. Jason was born 09/13/85. I was self-running out of Florida Sports Cars (Louis D'Agostino [originally Dennis Vitolo as well]) at the time with my VD RF-82 and as the Smith brothers move to RT-5 SVs I recall FSCs bought the three cars from the team in the late fall of 1985 [as best as I can remember] - Can't find the first Log book BUT I seem to recall I started the season of 1986 in the car sharing the grid with James Lee/Lola - Jim Morgan/Crossle and other members/the rest of the notorious SF gang. ...... Jason first drove the car in 2004 (and the first time racing anything) as a part of his High School grad gifts (and rewarded for earning a college scholarship), and as they say, " ... now you know the rest of he story ........"

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 852

Default Great to be back!

Although I missed the Saturday race completely and didn't do well in Sunday's race, it was great to be back on track after 5 years! The event was great and the track was spectacular! There is a lot to re-learn after 5 years off but since my fastest lap of the weekend was the 2nd to last race lap, I'm satisfied that I'll get closer to the sharp end of the grid soon.

I couldn't thank Butch enough every time I saw him and my boys enjoyed seeing dad race. My 6 year old even learned to ride his bike without training wheels while we were there!

Overall, a great weekend. Many thanks to all who made it happen! Although I can't wait for the 50th anniversary race, I hope to continue racing this time!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Default GoPro/DRD - 1 Lap of Barber

Nice shootin' there., Tex!
    thanks for posting. That bridge turn section is tough to get the feel for.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 69

Default Bummed

Really wish I could've been there for this! Unfortunately our tow vehicle decided that it was not going to work with us. I'm glad that everyone had a good time.

Hopefully my Dad and I will be at the 50th!

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF10

Liked: 41

There is still a chance to run Barber this year on Labor Day
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information