O'Neill and Wills Win It All at the GoPro Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear Grand Prix at Infineon Raceway
32 Mazda powered racers battle it out at double header in Sonoma

August 30th
Sonoma, CA

Patrick O'Neill won race one of the GoPro Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear Grand Prix driving his Pro FM to a 21.279-second victory. "I didn't think about the lead," O'Neill said before the champagne flew. "I thought about hitting the marks, hitting the corners, and doing everything correctly."

In the Formula Mazda class Darryl Wills took the win. "Wills was driving the wheels off his car from the first moment he rolled off the trailer," noted Series Official Ben Hettema. "He was fast here last year, and everyone knew he was going to be a top contender in 2011." The top five in class in Saturday's race were:

Pro Formula Mazda
1) Patrick O'Neill
2) Michael Guasch
3) Lloyd Read
4) Phil Fogg Jr.
5) Andre Eriksen

Formula Mazda
1) Darryl Wills
2) Jamie Slone
3) Mike Anderson
4) Alan McCallum
5) Matt Trudell

On Sunday Patrick O'Neill got another great start, and led wire-to-wire for the second day in a row. "I put some good laps together and then had to just be careful in traffic," noted O'Neill. Wills led the Formula Mazdas at the green but had Alan McCallum, Jamie Slone, Mike Anderson, and Matt Trudell breathing down his neck in the opening laps. Wills arrived at the checkered flag victorious, and earned it. The top five in class in Sunday's race were:

Pro Formula Mazda
1) Patrick O'Neill
2) Michael Guasch
3) Lloyd Read
4) Stan Kohls
5) Andre Eriksen

Formula Mazda
1) Darryl Wills
2) Mike Anderson
3) Jamie Slone
4) Alan McCallum
5) Matt Trudell

"The battles this weekend were epic," noted FCC Series Official Ben Hettema. "GoPro's media staff had cameras all over cars in the field, and we can't wait to see some of the action up close." GoPro, the event's title sponsor, is producing two short features covering the event that will be posted to the FCC and GoPro websites in a few weeks.

On Sunday, right after the GoPro Formula Car Challenge race, Infineon Raceway celebrated Military Appreciation Day with a variety of tributes to the Armed Forces highlighted by a six-jet air show by the Patriots Jet Demonstration team. "It was great to complete our event and celebrate together while the airshow entertained us," noted one of the racers. "This weekend has been one big party."

Following the lead of the FCC racers Penske driver Will Power took the top spot in qualifying, and led 71 of the 75 laps in the IZOD IndyCar Grand Prix of Sonoma. Team Penske swept the top three spots, with Helio Castroneves second, and Ryan Briscoe third. "This is like home for me," said Power. "To start 1-2-3 and finish 1-2-3, what a dream weekend."

The next event for The GoPro Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear is September 8-11 at Mid Ohio Sportscar Course to determine the national champion.

Press release with link to official results, photos, etc. can be viewed here >>