Thread: A hot topic

Liked: 0

Default A hot topic

I thought it might be a good idea to post this entry from my racing log, thinking it may serve to help someone else avoid a problem — at the risk of proving that I am fully capable of being an idiot. I’ve been a recreational racer mostly in formula cars and sports racers since the early sixties — so I should know better...

Yesterday, I topped up the fuel cell in my Swift FC — then I climbed into the cockpit to adjust the belts. This, with the car in a garage with the door open . I was unaware that the little beast had belched out well over a quart of fuel (not from the filler neck,) thereby drenching the engine and creating a sizeable puddle under the car. I could smell the gas — but dismissed it as being residual fumes from pouring fuel into the fuel cell.

I knew it would be awhile before I would drive the car, so I decided to run the engine for a few minutes — just to make sure the car ran after being idle for a few weeks. Thankfully, when I turned the ignition switches on and hit the starter button, there was no response, except for the clicking of the electric fuel pump. The battery was fully charged — I use a tender — none-the-less, the engine refused to turn over. It was, as they say, dead as a doornail.

In retrospect, that was a good thing. Had there been a spark — it could have been a BIG problem. I know you’re supposed to be able to exit the tight confines of a formula car in roughly 8 seconds — however weighing in at 205 — I’m proud to report it takes me
    a mere one minute and twenty two seconds — bruising just one kneecap and dropping the “f bomb” not more than three times. (Kidding.)

Note to self: Always start car with an attendant if I’m in the cockpit — and preferably in the great outdoors. Otherwise start car while standing beside the cockpit within arms reach for the external battery cut-off switch and fire suppression cable handle.

By the way — when there is no response from the starter button and the power is on and fully charged — I guess it could be the button — wiring (doubtful,) the starter solenoid or the starter itself, binding...

Any thoughts?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 905

Get the vom out.

Check that there is 12 volts at the starter button.

If there is, check where the samll wire from the button connects to the starter, with the button pushed.

Then check to make sure that the big cable from the battery has 12 volts where it is hooked to the starter.

Then check that there is 12 volts on both sides of the master.

If there is 12 volts in all these places, it must then be the starter.

I would bet that you getting into the cockpit squeezed the cell enough to force that gas pout. I am assuming that the cell is right behind your back. Even if you have a check valve in the vent, that is sufficient force to overp[ower it.

Ask how I know.

The solution is to never fill it right to the very very top.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
    I ......By the way — when there is no response from the starter button and the power is on and fully charged — I guess it could be the button — wiring (doubtful,) the starter solenoid or the starter itself, binding...Any thoughts?
    A thought, yes.

First race for my son. Last minute PANIC change to rains. He gets in car hits the start button in the Paddock... nothing... hits it again.... nothing.

Everything is on that should be but no start. He says, "that's okay Dad. There's a next race"... But I ain't giving up that easy!

Take cover off on starter side.. all wires connected. Tell him to hit the switch and I'm wiggiling the 12 volt wire from the starter switch.. sure enough BANG it starts. He does race and wins!

I open starter up after the race. There's a 'solid' jumper strap from the litte 12 volt terminal to the winding of the solenoid. Sure enough it had snapped in 2 from vibration. Soldered it up with a sorta jumper wire across the break. Lasted another year.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information