Thread: New Carbir FC

Liked: 973

Default New Carbir FC

I have been provided some photos of what I believe to be the new Carbir and told that it is ok to post them. Perhaps Mr. Utt can confirm that this is his new project.

John
    Last edited by John LaRue; 06.29.11 at 10:31 AM.

Liked: 7

John

It is funny how little bits of information get leaked out and rumors start.
    These are actually pictures from a few years ago.

As you may or may not know I had spent a few years in China getting a racing series up and running for formula cars.
    I had built over 30 cars and had a great time until the Government got to involved in what we were doing.
    After that there were to many people showing up with there hands out and the amount of money going out for bribes exceeded what was being spent to run the cars.
    Finally the people that were funding this gave up and found something less risky to spend their money on.

I have been back in the US for over one year now and am rebuilding my US product line. I am currently building a new FF Fit car, a new FC Zetec car, a new S-2000 and a Duratec powered Formula car for track day or school use.

I have been doing this quietly and had not planned on making any announcements until the cars had run. These will all be 2011 cars and I hope to have several of them at the Florida races.

I also hope to have my web site up and running in a couple of months once I have some pictures to post.
    If you would like some more information I can be reached at.
    brian@carbir.com

Thanks
    Brian Utt
    Carbir Race Cars

Liked: 36

Brian:

The spy shots from John are interesting. Looks like a billet front bulkhead. Interesting. What I find also very interesting is the very nice (looking and sturdy) Borgeson universal on the steering column.

Just a question here. I see the set screw retainer. I don't think that this is up to the challenge of making sure that the steering column pieces don't seperate. Did you, or will you, also find a way to utilize a cross bolt (with corresponding groove) to capture the steering column segments?

I ask this because I purchased an identical unit earlier this year. I installed it over the winter, and tugged on the my steering column occassionally to check the security.

One day it came apart. So the sturdy little devil came out, and a (new) dinkey little standard type VD universal was installed. Once I can figure out how to properly secure my Borg unit, I will.

Best,

John D.

Liked: 1845

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Brian:

Looks like a billet front bulkhead. Interesting.
    John D.

The billit alu plate is attached to the front of the required steel tube bulkhead. Very clear in the pics if you expand them a bit to make the individual pieces more easy to see.

Liked: 36

Rich:

Thanks for your input.

My question actually was pointed at the universal joint (the Borgeson universal). It comes with a set screw on certain sizes, like the one in the picture. Below that size, it can be had with a cross bolt that would engage a machined groove in the steering column. To me, using just the set screw is insufficient to ensure that it won't work loose at an inappropriate time.

Best,

John D.

Liked: 973

Default oops?

Brian,

Forgive me if those were not to be posted. The car in the pics is very impressive.

John

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Brian,

Forgive me if those were not to be posted. The car in the pics is very impressive.

John

Those pics have been on this site at least once before. Here's a thread from April, but I don't think that was the first I saw of them:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ghlight=carbir

Liked: 95

Default FC Carbir

I happen to own 2 of these. An 09 and a /10 plus we have the car that ran the pro series and was second behind Vassmer I think it was. That frame is very similar. They drive real nice and they are every bit as good aero wise as anything out there. You can get at pretty much everything w/o standing on your head and I am very happy with them. When we ran the car at the Gingerman Nat. we had alot of visits from people looking at them.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 7

John L.
    I have no problem with the posting.
    Old pictures are better then no pictures.
    Now I have incentive to get some current ones posted.

John D.
    I install a longer set screw in the coupler and then use a jam nut on top of that to double clamp it in place.
    There is also a machined grove in the pinon shaft that the set screw fits into so even if it were to back off a little it would not be able to completely slip off the shaft.

Mike Foschi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Utt View Post
    John

It is funny how little bits of information get leaked out and rumors start.
    These are actually pictures from a few years ago.

As you may or may not know I had spent a few years in China getting a racing series up and running for formula cars.
    I had built over 30 cars and had a great time until the Government got to involved in what we were doing.
    After that there were to many people showing up with there hands out and the amount of money going out for bribes exceeded what was being spent to run the cars.
    Finally the people that were funding this gave up and found something less risky to spend their money on.

I have been back in the US for over one year now and am rebuilding my US product line. I am currently building a new FF Fit car, a new FC Zetec car, a new S-2000 and a Duratec powered Formula car for track day or school use.

I have been doing this quietly and had not planned on making any announcements until the cars had run. These will all be 2011 cars and I hope to have several of them at the Florida races.

I also hope to have my web site up and running in a couple of months once I have some pictures to post.
    If you would like some more information I can be reached at.
    brian@carbir.com

Thanks
    Brian Utt
    Carbir Race Cars

Hi Brian,

Nice that your back. I want to warn you to not wrap your new FC car in several layers of carbon and call it a bracket, seems like some people want to make hybrid cars now. Who knew, I thought hybrid cars were partly driven by electic motor. I think we should wrap one in alum foil and put in butter, corn and potatoes and have a BBQ.

See you soon somewhere.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Mike,
    You were doing so well and then you had to go to the food thing?

Mike Foschi

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Mike,
    You were doing so well and then you had to go to the food thing?
    I couldn't help myself. Like Popeye, I yam what I yam. (There I go with the food thing again)

Thread Information