Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 442

ummmm this is for NWFC.

Emphasis on the FC part and we don't really run SCCA that much either.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post
    So when is the Kent/Fit test? It was promised when approved that it would be revisited .....
    Joe,

These tests and equalizing are NOT being done by the SCCA. Rather, ICSCC drivers in the Northwest under 'mutual agreement' of the competitors who want good competition. Even the Zetec drivers support it.

I'm not sure any FF's drivers here in the Northwest have even converted to Fit's??
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 120

Not only do the zetec drivers support it, they were the ones who pushed for equalization.

Update: from the just released nwfc newsletter

Zetec ......... testing was conducted on Sept. 24th at Spokane County Raceway. Initial concerns were confirmed, as the Zetec was able to run fairly effortlessly times on par or less than its pinto powered counterpart....................................... ........................... Data system was not working on the car at time of this publishing, and only a handful of stopwatch times were able to be taken. Weight was not able to be added to the car other than through fuel at time of testing (approximately 40lbs difference). At full fuel, car was roughly on par with what previous pinto’s have been capable of. However, due to a lack of data collected and scientific process not being followed for this informal test day, as well as the car not being able to be pushed to its limits as safety and emergency crews were not on hand, this test should only be taken at face value and more testing will be conducted in the spring. Until testing can result in conclusive data no official rule change will be brought to sanctioning bodies, however those who do own Zetecs currently will handicap their cars at NWFC events until an official rule change is agreed upon. More on this in 2015.(Current idea is around 40 lbs of extra ballast for Zetecs)

.....'s show where possible confidential information was at for driver of said zetec, and I don't' want to let the cat out of the bag before the runoffs. Additionally, both pinto and zetec drivers were on hand to witness the testing.

But zetec drivers are in for a 40 lb weight penalty to start the season, and adjust after further testing can be completed at the Spokane test and tune next year. For the record this means one of the cars will be adding 80 lbs of total ballast. The lead has already been poured.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    .....'s show where possible confidential information was at for driver of said zetec, and I don't' want to let the cat out of the bag before the runoffs....
    Can you clarify what you mean to say for the 1st half sentence? What is ".....'s" shorthand for?
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Just a question. How does one safely add 80#'s of lead ? I'm in the opposite situation. However, when my son begins driving the Reynard, I may need to add some ballast. TIA
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean to say for the 1st half sentence? What is ".....'s" shorthand for?
    They refer to info that the driver of said car may not want released publicly before the runoffs as they could give away possible competitive secrets. First ......'s can be safely assumed using some Google fu. Second ones give away a severe limiting factor of the test and the lap times performed. Based on the test, I think the driver may have a chance to be the dark horse at this year's runoffs with a bit of luck, but they would never tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Just a question. How does one safely add 80#'s of lead ? I'm in the opposite situation. However, when my son begins driving the Reynard, I may need to add some ballast. TIA
    Melting down led and molding it to spaces it fits in the frame then Securing it properly. I'm not the one who did the process and info is to me by at least second hand, I'm sure someone else could answer it better.

Liked: 7

They refer to info that the driver of said car may not want released publicly before the runoffs as they could give away possible competitive secrets. First ......'s can be safely assumed using some Google fu. Second ones give away a severe limiting factor of the test and the lap times performed.
    Google-fu .....'s liiterally returns Sprint Corp'n stockchart....

This is like doing matryoshka dolls in reverse; the more I ask, the further I get away from clear understanding.

I know I need a nap, as I was up until 4am today. And I have missed some of this threads recent updates.

There has to be a reason, right Professor?
    "You GO Now"

Rick

Liked: 151

You can always use carbide. It's denser than lead and only $50/pound.

FC min weight is way, way too high.

Liked: 99

Melting down led and molding it to spaces it fits in the frame then Securing it properly. I'm not the one who did the process and info is to me by at least second hand, I'm sure someone else could answer it better.
    As a 140# guy and a Zetec owner/driver, we have melted lead into these sections and there is no chance you will get 80# in there. I have each one filled, steel floor and some other lead in places and still barely make weight at the pro 1210. 1200 in club is easier but I still have all of those areas you note filled with melted lead shot.
    -Nick

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default Leadage

Pouring lead is easy, especially when you have someone else do it:

Call a gun shop and ask who casts their own bullets in your area (they're out there...).

Contact them and ask if they could do it ("Yes").

Tell them they can use "soft" lead (there is a difference and they will not want to use their good stuff for ballast weights)

Or: Craigslist lead; I found a lot of lead for $1 a lb.

Make a sheet metal mold shaped to fit in between the lower frame members, under your seat if possible.

Take mold(s) to bullet guy and have him pour lead into them.

Pick up your custom lead ballasts later that week.

Bolt them to the floor pan.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    ....Take mold(s) to bullet guy and have him pour lead into them.....
    Geez, I used to pour lead bullets in my garage for a .357 Magnum. Not a big deal. Given a shape in sheet metal it would take about 30 seconds to pour.

If you insert them between frame rails in your floor, better make SHURE your floor epoxy and rivets are well done!

Liked: 145

I think AP calipers are made from depleted uranium......you can also fill the pistons with lead

There are pros and cons to pouring your own lead. Personally, I won't do it.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I remember when plumbers melted lead for cast iron pipes FYI. Water & molten lead do not mix.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

I remember when plumbers melted lead for cast iron pipes FYI. Water & molten lead do not mix.
    YES! I did that too when I worked for my Dads construction company! Leaded in the sewer pipes with packing in the joints

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    There are pros and cons to pouring your own lead. Personally, I won't do it.
    I suppose you don't like asbestos either?

Asbestos is kinda old school. Now-a-days we sniff carbon fiber dust...

After stick welding for 10 years prior to the release of MSDS papers I think I've inhaled enough toxic stuff.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Had plenty of the bad stuff too. Hard to believe I'm still living and the only health problems I've had so far at age 71 were self induced (from smoking).

Big one happened in 2010 right after the big SOVREN weekend and I'm still going 4 years later. Although, in many ways I wish I wasn't. Once you reach a certain point of debilitation it's better to just move on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information