Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daytona 2015

Liked: 23

Hartley,

There are at least six(or more?) active FF's in South Florida. Great bunch of guys that can provide a lot of support at the track as well.

I have an RF98 Van Diemen Novak conversion- just like Michael's car. Going to send you a pm...

Liked: 101

Yes I know most of them I raced in 4 SARRC races last year and 2 Majors. I would really like to see your car. What part of Ft Lauderdale do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    Hartley,

There are at least six(or more?) active FF's in South Florida. Great bunch of guys that can provide a lot of support at the track as well.

I have an RF98 Van Diemen Novak conversion- just like Michael's car. Going to send you a pm...
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 4

Default Ok by me

I for one am looking forward to it

Scotty Segers

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Lane View Post
    Hartley,

6 FF's, how many FC's? Any FV's?

Liked: 23

Sorry to get off thread here, but not sure. A couple of FC's, 3 or 4 Vee's. 3 FB's including me when I get my car back together...

Liked: 101

I think there could be as many as 8-9 local Florida FFs show up at Daytona.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 11

Default 6 - FB's Registered for 2014 SARRC Invitational Challenge

Hartley FYI,

6-FB's/F1000's are entered for the SARRC Invitational Challenge/SEDIV F1000 Championship Race next weekend (Sept 27-28th, 2014) at Daytona.

#18-Tim Pierce White/Black 2010 Firman RFR-010 Area81Racing, Waterfall Security Solutions, Briky, Franklin Insurance Agency, Race City Injectors
    #33-Joel Haas Red 2010 Piper DF5 Parametric Solutions, I
    62-Pete Frost Black/silver 2014 Phoenix F1K-10 Kellogg Excavating
    #80-William Falatick BLACK/YELLOW 2011 SPEADS RM 11A AMP ELEC
    #81-Richard Franklin BLACK 2011 STOHR F1000 WATERFALL SECURITY, BRIKY COOLERS, FRANKLIN INSURANCE
    #93-Alastair McEwan Lime Green & Red 2010 Phoenix F1k Paladin 1

We're Group 1 Race 1, so hopefully we'll miss the T-Storms....Should be a great race....
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Liked: 586

OK. I'll finally let you Northerners and other assorted non-Southerners in on a little secret. We have five seasons down here. It goes like this.....

winter [a time when we Southerners try to hide all our daughters and stills from them Yankees that come down South for the weather.....all the while claiming about how they like it up North....to which I always like to ask them, "Well then, why didn't you stay up there?"]

spring [it's only a few weeks long]

summer

sauna [morning temp starts at 77, by 1:00 it's 95, then thunderstorms, then by 3:00 the temp is down to 84 with a humidity of 99.9%] .....it's so humid, our mold gets moldy

then we get a brief summer again

fall

So it rains down here. Uhhhhh........rain.......the great equalizer. Everybody remember that expression? Ya'll should look forward to finding out who the best driver is this way. Ya ain't gonna melt. Someone may just have to drive smart instead of ball$ to the walls driving.

By the way, that seemingly sad weekend at Daytona recently where all those races were canceled by the bwak-bwak Chief Steward's overly conservative approach to the weather, about an hour after he canceled everything, had the rest of that day sunny. If you don't like the weather here, just wait 15 minutes.

To those coming to work the event, if you're working the bus stop, remember the carp fish in Lake Lloyd like things like broccoli, not lures. I haven't been able to get a canoe into it but I have fished it. I don't know if I'll lie to the Grandkids about how fast I used to be or how big the fish in Lake Lloyd was.

Liked: 43

Camping guidelines for this weekends event at Daytona.

Parking Guidelines for the Daytona SARRC Invitational Challenge and Test Day
    September 26-28, 2014
    1. Guidelines listed below may vary from times and locations listed in the Supplemental Regulations, due to last minute requirements of the Speedway.
    2. Thursday and Friday evening: RV and competitor rig parking in the infield will end ½ hour before dark, and resume the next morning after registration opens. RV’s and Rigs may park overnight inside the entry gate 40, and outside of the tunnel entrance, near registration. Some electricity is available in that lot. Competitors may enter the Infield during the day on Friday between registration hours, by signing the Daytona Track Waiver at the gate. You must still register during the posted times. If you are already registered, you may leave and return – be prepared to show your credential to Daytona Security at Gate 40.
    3. Geico Lake Lloyd RV Lot: First come, first served parking for RV’s only, no racecars allowed. Please park against the lake side fence only, and park next to the previous RV in the row. Water and electric, $50 for weekend – will be collected by the Paddock Marshall or his staff.
    4. Garage parking is reserved for competitors that have reserved garages and those teams that have made previous arrangements with the Paddock Marshall. Parking is allowed for the team rig, and one support vehicle. Garages close at 7 PM, no overnighting inside the locked garage area. Please park other vehicles in the open lot near Turn 3 and the Race vendor area.
    5. Paved Paddock: Teams without garages that need to paddock on pavement will be directed to the proper location by the Paddock Marshall, or his staff, at the Geico Shores reception checkpoint (labeled “Parking Check In” on the map – see below).
    6. Grass Paddock: There are three areas designated for paddocking on grass. Competitors working on their cars in these areas need to be mindful of environmental regulations and place a tarp or plastic sheet under the car to prevent spilled fluids from soaking into the ground. Daytona has asked for work on vehicles in the grass paddock areas to cease at 7:00 PM when the garage areas are closed. And there is a quiet time with no race motors allowed to run between 9:00 PM and 7:00 AM.
    7. Tent Camping: Tent camping is allowed around the Restrooms and Showers near the road course Turn 4 Kink, behind the grandstands (we have been assured by the Speedway that showers will be open and operable).
    Last edited by Dave Welsh; 09.25.14 at 5:00 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 282

1) Garaged competitors must leave the garage fenced area Saturday night? Every night during the Runoffs?

If you restrict rigs associated only to garaged cars in the garage paddock you lose a lot of paved space.

2) Do the RV spots near the garages work as club racing paddock spaces? They look tight together.

3) Is the main grass competitor paddock space inside Turn 4?

In general, the Daytona paddocks do not look that spacious unless you rent a garage.

Brian

1. Unless it is the 24 hour race, the Daytona garages are always closed at night. Who knows if It will be different for the runoffs, should they be opened that will must likely result in increased fees for security. If others than those that have garages are allowed in the garage area the garage area would be a zoo. I've see that happen.

2. The RV spaces nearest the garage is where the NASCAR drivers park their motor coaches. I have never seen them used outside of a cup race.

3. The large paved area to the east of the cup drivers RV area is called the "truck pad", this is where grid is. There is paved paddock to the south of that area that many races use. The kart track at the east end of the infield will be used this weekend for a SOLO event. The kart track are would be additional paddock space for the runoffs offs.

There is no shortage of paddock space. I have been to many SOLO events on the kart track during a club race weekend with over 270 cars entered for the club race, and 160 cars at the SOLO. I will be there this weekend.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Somehow, reminds me of the Turkey Rod Run. Something like 6000 cars in the infield.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

For those of you concerned that Runoffs at Daytona could be soaker......study the weather in Florida this past week - it's been very wet - Daytona did have a LOT of rain earlier in the week.......recent example: about 15 miles north of Daytona is Palm Coast / they've had something like 8 inches in the last two days alone.

However.......

Yesterday and today at the track was a test day and then qualifying for SARRC Championships........it did not rain either day in any part of the track, no lightning delays, nothing, nada, zip

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Fishing?

In Lake Lloyd?
    Good God, Man - You know that thing just fills w/ storm drain water, right?
    I guess if you aren't trynta eat those fish!

One subject that has not been broached is the availability of food at the track.
    There is none.
    There is however a main concession in the heart of the paddock, and satellite facilities at the end of each horse shoe, but you'll not find any food there.

What you will find what can only described as Elementary School quality hamburgers/hot dogs/something akin to chicken sammiches, ALL on hideous white bread, the kind that attacks all the cilia in your guts, wedging it's pasty bits hither and yon, leaving the average SCCA racer/graybeard in a world of hurt.

You have been warned!

Now, I've not been to the Worlds Largest Dyno in a few years, but I always grab lunch at a really great Italian Deli out the track and towards the beach about a half mile - Sorrento's Deli.
    The Meatball Parm sub/hoagie/grinder/hero is my fave.

All the cool bike racer kids hang out at The Ocean Deck in North Daytona, right on the beach.

Lastly-Strip Clubs..
    Don't bother. One word - Pasties.

Bring Horsepower. If you think you brought enough and are already an hour from the house, turn around, go back and get more. You'll need it.

Cheers, Ya'll

Liked: 551

We've had some dark threatening clouds nearby this weekend but it looks like we'll be lucky and not have to race in the rain tomorrow. The two open wheel groups are the first and second SARRC Championship races Sunday AM (after the 90 minute enduro). The open wheel groups seem to be pretty well populated so it should be good racing.

This is my first time here and it's a blast. It's a pretty easy track but unlike most, if you don't get a corner perfect, it costs you seconds, not tenths.

The 2015 Runoffs are going to be pretty interesting (understatement of the year).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default I won't call it rain

The Enduro [90 minutes] opened up the day [Sunday] today - it sort of spritzed at the very beginning such that the track was damp but not really wet - no one was on rain tires - in no time at all there was a dry line and then the sun came out such that every thing dried - the rest of the day was dry dry dry and the racing was close and fast. The Spec Miata race, with 5 cars trading it in the lead group, was decided by 0.008 seconds after 35 minutes!

You see at the beginning of the day I didn't like the weather and in 15 minutes it was different!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Typical Florida weather. It can be raining across the street on your neighbor's yard, while you're standing in sunshine. When they say 'isolated showers', they really mean isolated
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 11

Default 2014 Daytona SIC Race F1000 results

Alister McEwan won yesterday's F1000 SIC battle. But the war was won by Tim Pierce of Area 81 Racing who finished 2nd and took the SARRC FB/F1000 Championship Title. Joel Haas finished 3rd.

Many congrats to my teammate for a hard fought SARRC Championship!
    Last edited by Revs2-12k; 07.02.15 at 7:19 AM.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Revs2-12k View Post
    Alister McEwan won yesterday's F1000 SIC battle. But the war was won by Tim Pierce of Area 81 Racing who finished 2nd and took the SARRC FB/F1000 Championship Title. Joel Haas finished 3rd.

Many congrats to my teammate for a hard fought SARRC Championship!
    I was flagging turn 5 for your race - well done all of you !!!!!

Liked: 551

Default Good close race

I think this picture was taken around lap #3 (at first right hand hairpin in the infield).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

There were about 20 RV's that made use of the camping area along Lake Lloyd. There are 110 total RV spots in that area. Some of the RVer's had their race cars parked next to their RV.

The weather forecast prior to the event looked bleak in regards to rain, then the heavy rain hit Tues thru Thurs. As the weekend approached the chances for rain diminished. As Stan said, Saturday was totally dry at the track, mech rain to the west of the track. Some light sprinkle Sunday from 8 to 9, then dry the rest of the day.

Temps were in the high 80's with very high humidity, a nice sea breeze blowing much of both days.

As mentioned earlier about the heavy rains midweek, there was some flooding in the Central Florida area, which included Daytona. The new tunnel was full of water again on Thursday. There were serious concerns as to the status of the weekends activities at the track due to the flooded tunnel. Decisions were delayed until Friday, the speedway had the tunnel pumped out by Friday AM, the forecast looked better in regards to heavy rains, so both events went on without any issues.

There was absolutely no storm activity (hurricanes or potential hurricanes) in the tropics, from Africa to the Caribbean during the week leading up to this SIC event. As I write this there is one small disturbance well east of North Carolina, and is tracking north. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I am most certain that there some people from the national office in attendance last weekend.

One further comment about concerns with the Daytona paddock area. With those who lust to have the runoffs at Indy, where in the world (or Indianapolis) are you going to put all the entries there?

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    One further comment about concerns with the Daytona paddock area. With those who lust to have the runoffs at Indy, where in the world (or Indianapolis) are you going to put all the entries there?
    IMS is a big place even with the road course and the golf course in the infield, but I agree that the space inside the track likely would not be adequate for everything if there were 700+ entries. The motorhomes probably would have to be parked outside the track itself, either in the parking lot north of the track, or in the lots on the south side of 16th Street or the west side of Georgetown Road. Not really a big inconvenience.
    Last edited by David Locke; 09.30.14 at 10:38 AM.

Contributing Member

Dave Welsh

1) What percentage of this events entrants were paddocked on grass?

2) After all the rain how does the grass handle the RV/trailer traffic? Does the grass drain well so as to provide a decent work area for the race car?

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    The motorhomes probably would have to be parked outside the track itself, either in the parking lot north of the track, or in the lots on the south side of 16th Street or the west side of Georgetown Road. Not really a big inconvenience.
    How do you get from the motorhome to paddock? Walk, shuttle, golf chart, etc.

Has there ever been a club type race, 300+ entrants, at Indy?

Brian

Liked: 487

Default SVRA

SVRA race last May 700+ entries. Great event!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    How do you get from the motorhome to paddock? Walk, shuttle, golf chart, etc.

Has there ever been a club type race, 300+ entrants, at Indy?

Brian
    I suspect pretty much the same way people got there for five years at Road America (640 acres).

I believe SVRA had the largest number of entrants that IMS has hosted, which was similar to the Runoffs entries at Road America and Mid-Ohio.

Brian

I had both of my formula ford's paddocked in the grass for the SOLO event as we're the rest of the 110 entrants for the SOLO. The only issues were wet shoes from the damp grass. I'm not sure how many of the road were paddocked on the grass, in years past several drivers, including formula cars, would paddock in the grass near where pit entrance is. There was enough rain in the speedway area to cause flooding, the eastbound US 92 exit ramp off southbound I 95 was closed for 24 hours due to flooding, this ramp is 1 mile from the speedway, it was open on Saturday morning.

While the speedway was built in a swampy area it does dry out quickly, as does much of Florida. The sandy soil accounts for that.

Before the speedway was concerned about the image of having green grass in the infield the surface of the infield was crushed sea shells, a very stable surface that does not get mushy when wet. The grass is over the crushed sea shells. No problems with heavy vehicles.

The only roads that are not paved are the short ones just south of the kart track.

Many road racers do choose to paddock on the grass by choice. Grass is much cooler, retains less heat, than pavement does.

The yellow garages are hotter than the blue ones. There is no flow through ventilation in the yellow ones.

I will follow up about the garages in a moment. It is easier for me to attach links on my desktop.

Default Daytona Garages

Daytona has 2 sets of garages, the Yellow garages, and Blue garages.

The Yellow ones are for the Sprint Cup drivers.

The Blue ones are for the Nationwide drivers.

The Yellow ones only open up on one side, they do have pull down doors.

The Blue ones are in essence open sheds.

If you go to the following web site, you can see a bit more how the garages are laid out.

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/drive...1&EventID=5721

Just below where it says LOCATION, look for the blue lines that say Blue Area, and Yellow Area.

If you click on one a pop up window will open. If you hover your mouse over a garage, you can see who rented that space, and the garage number.

In the Blue Area, you can see that 9 spaces are in blue, that is where tech and impound is, yes, impound is covered. One space is for trophies.

The reserved garages in the Yellow area are rented out permanently by the Petty Driving Experience.

I hope this helps.

If you go to dlb you will notice that all the formula and SR cars are listed in one group. They did qualify together, but the group was split for the race on Sunday, with CF FF FV FST and F500 having their own race.

Contributing Member

Just read some of the Indy SVRA event info. Tow vehicle and race car only in the paddock. No large tents.

Does anyone know what the entry fee was?

Brian

Liked: 146

So tell me Mr. Harding...where is this Runoffs Xanadu were the skies are always blue, the grass green, the paddock expansive, every dollar of the entry fee accounted for on the receipt to everyone's satisfaction, and within a 3hr drive for everyone? And would you stop whine-bagging long enough to go?
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 141

Several queries have been asked about the SVRA event at Indy - I was there - some answers below.

Entries - 700 has been mentioned - that's about right - at the drivers' meeting the point was made that IMS knows well how to handle 1/2 million spectators and 33 cars - but with 700 cars they might not get everything right first time so please cooperate. Everyone did and 99% of the time it went smoothly.

There are lots of garages (expensive to rent) but no trailer access to them during the weekend - had to park 1/4 mile away - inconvenient if you had a golf cart etc - very inconvenient and tiring if you didn't. And regarding golf carts, ATVs etc you had to show proof of $2m(?) insurance coverage under IMS's very strict requirements. I didn't meet any individuals who managed to get such insurance although companies seemed able to get their corporate coverage extended with no real problems.

On the other hand those with normal sized trailer and canopies and those with big rigs and big side tents (no circus tents allowed) seemed to manage quite well either on black top or on the grass. It did rain early on which caused a quagmire but the ground dried out quickly (overnight) when the rain stopped.

Some chose to park near the Museum which is a long way from the pits and track entrance but they did have more room for their motorhomes, trailers, awnings etc.

Speaking of room - the SVRA did use the full oval for some sessions so there was no question of any parking there. Whether that would be allowed for a road course only, such as Runoffs, event I have no idea but there is lots of concrete and black top available.

Those in the garages had very convenient access to the pits and track. Others not nearly so good but as David said no worse than Road America except for the golfcart/ATV problem.

Entry fee was $795, plus $495 for an enduro - significantly more than normal.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by dereklola; 09.30.14 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    S
    There are lots of garages (expensive to rent) but no trailer access to them during the weekend - had to park 1/4 mile away - inconvenient if you had a golf cart etc - very inconvenient and tiring if you didn't.
    Derek, thanks for sharing this information. Couple of questions: Approximately how many garages were available to rent, and how much did it cost to rent them?

Liked: 141

David - rental was about $1000 - there are maybe 80/100 such garages. Mine got a floor wash every time it rained.

Also the F1/Indy pit side garages which easily accommodate 4 or 6 cars if you want to share. I'd guess there were about 20 of those.

Default Daytona saves the TaTas

As this is an NFL "pink" month devoted to saving the TaTas I must mention that there is, on a roughly straight line from trioval start/finish from the outside of the track to straight across the street, a HOOTERS restaurant.

No one ever notices if the food is any good or not.

I'd happy to add that this past March during Bike Week, my Dad [age 92, who grew up in Daytona] and I put the machines in the trailer and went off to cruise around Daytona.....for lunch we went to HOOTERS and he told me he had never heard of HOOTERS before.....I think he's still smiling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information