Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reynard 93H

Liked: 139

Default Reynard 93H

Reynard 93H package for sale. S/N 93H-005 has injected Hasselgren and is complete as raced, winning the SCCA western us majors championship. S/N 93H-013 is disassembled for spare parts and was complete less engine and FT200 gearbox. We have log books and homologation papers for both cars. Other spares include tunnels, bodywork, wings, suspension, sump tank/engine adapter, etc. PM for photos or information. $39,500 US.
    https://www.dropbox.com/l/XBq6SKYQDTIgrHM8kSzP4e
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tcf1ufvniqepde5/wYf7GJN19j
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J Leonard; 10.31.14 at 1:04 AM. Reason: Added links

Default added links

added links

Liked: 14

just for the record I don't now these cars or the seller. However 93 Reynardws are real deal Atlantics and with a fast driver who is capable of doing the prep work ( just like any FA) these cars can win the club racing Runoffs, and chase after in pro series title on the east coast. Just because all the lemmings are running Swifts doesn't mean you have to. As an added bonus these cars are classified as metallic chassis thanks to the bonded in floor so you can run the skirts 1cm below the floor of the car. That made a huge difference in grip level when that rule changed in 98 I 1st made the change to my car at the time.

If it was me I would send all the suspension to Pat prince to be jigged, the uprites to Fast Forward to be copied, and all the body work and wings to Dauntless to have molds made and then have a super quick car plus all the spares I could ever need and be in business to sell to other 92/93 Reynard owners when they needed parts.

but then I have never just followed the pack and have worked on 90,92, and 93 Reynards.

Good luck on your sale !
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 6

Default Reynard skirts

Kevin,

I have had a 93H for seven years now and can vouch for everything you said. The one thing I didn't know about was the acceptability of running the skirts 1cm below the floor. Can you give me a reference where I can see this in writing? I've been running the skirts 1 cm above the floor according to the current GCR. This can make a huge difference for me, and I'd like to follow up on this. Thanks.
    Tony

9.1.1.10. Reynards, as well as DB4s because of the metallic floor are considered metallic chassis and allowed to run bellow the floor skirts.

Not sure that's the correct numbering but itws in the bodywork section at the start of the FA rules. pg 268-269 of the FEB edition of the current GCR
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

So, the paragraph below from the GCR states as follows:

Movable or hinged skirts are prohibited. Flexible sidepod skirts are allowed on cars which have their primary load bearing structure (tub) constructed of ferrous or non-ferrous alloys. No part of the bodywork or suspended part of the car between the front and rear wheels shall extend more than one (l) cm (.3937”) below the horizontal panel forming the bottom of the chassis. Within the above restrictions, only wearable material (fiberglass, Kevlar, carbon fiber, high density polypropylene, Telflon, Lexan, or wood) may be attached to the side panels as a rubbing strip. Ceramics, plexiglass, plastic, and other mate- rials which shatter or break-up causing hazardous track condi- tion are prohibited.

...and because of this, and the fact that the Reynard floor is aluminum honeycomb/carbon composite allows me to run my skirts down 1 cm below the bottom of the tub?
    Can this be really true?

Yup and its been true and been done and passed runoffs tech since 1998. It was done to give older cars more of a chance but the DB4 and Reynards were loophole cars and allowed to stay in the loop hole to promote their participation. I also checked when the rule was 1st changed with the 2 heads of the CRB , as it was called at the time, to make sure I was reading it correctly and they confirmed that was exactly what the rule said and what it intended to do

Thank Kevin, I owe you big time!

Liked: 9

Default What? This can't be true!

For 13 years I ran a 92/93H and it's a full carbon tub, just like a Ralt. Where is the metal floor? Yes there's aluminum honeycomb in there but that's just the core of a carbon skinned composite tub.
    Can you cite the ruling that allows skirts below the floor like is allowed for the Swift DB4?
    I'd love to see where this is written.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Default Thanks for the bump guys

So we won the west Majors championship in 2013. We won the northern pacific division in 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013. Randy Cook won in 2011 with his 93H with us second and he finished second to us in 2012. We also held two outright lap records at local tracks Oregon raceway park and The Ridge. The Ridge record was broken by a mega bucks CSR with Al Unser coaching. We plan on taking back the Ridge record if the car does not sell. And.. for at least the last five years all of our tires are used takeoffs from John Bergett.
    So that's all the fluff, if you want to talk hard parts send me a PM.

sorry for the confusion but I need to clean something up real quick. If your floor is carbon outters you have to run 1cm above the floor. The Reynards I worked on, 90 ,92, 93x2 all had bonded in aluminum floors. Since that's all I ever saw I thought that's the way all the cars came. It may be the teams that worked on the 92 and the 93's before I got a hold of them had modified the tubs to aluminum floors to get weight lower in the chassis and not have to run skid plates since skids require you to raise the cars and lose d/f. I apologize for any confusion.

One more bonus for Mr Leonards sale since I did what I hate and stirred up a thread in the gentlemen's for sale ad , Reynards use the Hewland FT200 gearbox which is a marvelous box for a FA. The FT200 is the younger brother of the gearboxes that were in the 70's F1 cars and they are damn near unbreakable.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

A little clarification is in order. The 89/90H cars had an alloy floor attached to the tub for the fuel cell area and the cockpit center section, with the footbox area being a true bonded tub. Mike Demski designed and made carbon inserts that would replace these floors, which I did on the two 89/90H cars I had. The 92/93H cars came with the fully bonded tub as this was thought to be a design flaw that was changed by Reynard. Ergo, probably no Reynard Atlantics can legally run the lower skirts as I would imagine all of the early cars have been converted and the later cars do not qualify.

Another small difference (besides the bespoke gearbox for the early cars and the FT for the later) is that the early cars were about 1" longer in the cockpit area.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 101

Hey Charlie,

The early 93's had enough "unintended" deflection in the tunnels to almost seal them. The Cameron boys shamed the RT40's until that irregularity was addressed.....I'm sure some on here have a much clearer memory of this......I still shouldn't type and drink.....think I'll stop typing !

Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Hey Charlie,

The early 93's had enough "unintended" deflection in the tunnels to almost seal them. The Cameron boys shamed the RT40's until that irregularity was addressed.....I'm sure some on here have a much clearer memory of this......I still shouldn't type and drink.....think I'll stop typing !

Regards,
    Bill
    HI Bill,

Still working?

The "unintended flex" of the sidepods was the direct cause of the rule requiring no more than 1" (IIRC) deflection of the outer edge of the sidepod with a specified weight (100 lb maybe) applied to the corner of the pod.

Have one for me.

(For those wondering - Bill and I were hired at Federal Express in the same class on January 8, 1980.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default FT

Thanks for the mention of the FT200, We have two input shafts and the Reynard rear cover / wing mount that could be used to put a gearbox back in the green chassis.

Liked: 0

Default FT

Which FT 200 case is used in the green car.

The 92/93H cars used a standard FT200 case IIRC. The 89/90H cars had the bespoke gearbox casing that used F3A/Mk5 internals.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

The 93h uses the "late" FT200 case, not the "classic" one.

IIRC there are 3 styles, normally described referring to the mounting bosses on the bottom of the case. I. E. 2 bolt, 4 bolt, or 6 bolt. You need to be aware that some of the later 6 bolt have a bell housing area that requires a 5.5" clutch.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default Engine

What is the displacement of the Hasselgren engine and which type of injection?

The engine is 1600cc and has the gantry injection system. We also have the parts to build up a mono shock front suspension and multiple sets of side gears, ramps and clutch plates for the diff in the FT200.

Apex makes us put a price on listings but we are open to offers on this package. If someone wanted just the yellow car we could work out a spares package for it.

Liked: 5

Default Reynard

I know I'm a little late to the conversation here but I just saw Bill's remark....

>>The early 93's had enough "unintended" deflection in the tunnels to almost seal them. The Cameron boys shamed the RT40's until that irregularity was addressed.....I'm sure some on here have a much clearer memory of this......<<

and thought I might provide a little correction. The first examples of the of "93" Reynard Atlantic chassis were brought over as a factory effort in the Toyota Atlantic Pro Series season opener in 1992 at the Miami GP. Adrian Reynard was on hand and Russell Spence and Harold Huysman were the drivers. Russell won the race by .6 seconds over yours truly driving a Swift DB4. One more lap and I would have had him!
    The Reynard won the second round as well at Phoenix and I believe it was there that some photographs were taken by one of the professional photographers that showed the degree to which the Reynard side pods were sagging at speed... enough to have no ground clearance at the rearward section of the outer edge of the tunnels. It may have been as early as the next race at Long Beach or possibly one race later that the rule Charlie mentions was added to the books. With the stays added to prevent the droop in the pods the Reynard was about on par with the DB4 from a performance point of view and the factory team only won two more races over the remainder of the season. Chris Smith ended up winning the title by 5 points over Steve Cameron who ran most of the season in the new Reynard but I believe he started the year in the Swift driven by John Tanner in 1991. Chris was running a tired DB4 and his crew chief Willi Oppliger did a great job guiding that small team to a title.
    The Ralt RT40 did not arrive until later in the season, Three Rivers as I recall, and it was clearly superior to the Reynard and the DB4 from the first lap. By the end of the season double race weekend at Laguna Seca the RT40s of Crow and Nearburg were the class of the field and would have won easily both days but for mechanical issues.
    Mark Dismore won both days the final weekend in a P1 Racing DB4 coming back from serious injuries sustained the year before in a testing crash at Indy but he was not really close to the Ralts on sheer pace.
    My season started great with the 2nd at Miami and turned bad shortly thereafter when my teammate and defending champion Jovy Marcelo lost his life in a testing crash at Indy. Jovy and I were driving for P1 racing and when he died the team could not continue to run me on the extremely limited budget arrangement we had with P1.
    I only ran a handful of races that year as I transitioned to running my own team.
    I don't think a Reynard ever won another pro series race as 1993 and beyond was dominated by the RT40s
    I always thought the Reynard looked like the best built of the Atlantic chassis but it was pretty clear that their decision to use much smaller tunnels was a poor one. I don't really know how good the tubs turned out to be but all the finish work on the cars was very high end.
    Steve O'Hara

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 101

Steve,

Did you run the Nazereth race that year ? The 93h looked particularly racy there....the turn -entry speed appeared clearly superior.

My memory is fuzzy, but this is the first time I saw the RT40....I think it was Stuart Crow's with support from Ralt America...can you clarify a bit for me ?

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by bill gillespie; 07.01.14 at 12:08 PM.

Default tunnels

The green chassis came with the smaller tunnels you refer to. The yellow car has a later version that comes right up to the under side of and parallel to the top rear A arm. We have a new set of later tunnels for the green car and a new set without ducts for spares as well as the low down force originals.

Bill,

I did not make Nazareth in 1992. Harald Huysman won in the Reynard that year and Crow was on pole with the new RT40.
    Surprisingly my lap record set in qualifying the year before with the P1 Racing Swift DB4 was not matched by the newer cars in 1992.
    1993 was a different story with the Players team raising the bar and the cost to compete.
    Steve O'Hara

Default Reynard 93H

Just asking would you consider separating the two chassis and just selling the complete car with a spares assortment,

Offered the single car option on post #22. Have had people interested in buying spares but do not want to do that in case someone wants it all.

Default FA

Dear Mr Leonard,

It seems that there has been a lot of chit-chat about your car.

I am looking for an atlantic that I can use in SCCA races mostly to practice for major races.

It needs to be track ready with a low time engine built by a major builder.

Since I live in Daytona Beach, the distance is a hindrance.

I need your bottom line price for all.

I'll pay you with $100 dollar bills.

Telephone 386-441-0080

Yours very truly,

Mark Montgomery

PM sent

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Dear Mr Leonard,

I need your bottom line price for all.

I'll pay you with $100 dollar bills.

Telephone 386-441-0080

Yours very truly,

Mark Montgomery
    The IRS would love this post!!!

Default 93 Reynard

Would you sell a set of the large Tunnels ?
    Regards
    Shelton
    702-591-2682
    Shelton

Default Post 22

In post number 22 you said you were open to sell just the complete yellow car with spares, do you have a price in mind.

The 93H S/N 005 with Hasselgren 1600cc engine and spares including three sets of wheels we would offer at $30,000. PM for a complete list of the spares reserved for the car. The other chassis S/N 013 a complete roller less engine and gearbox is offered at $9500. I think any FT200 main case would work in 013 but would need the later D shaped side covers.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default I'll pay you with $100 dollar bills.

inflation................................it used to be twenties!

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar

Default pay you in $100 bills

That's right what happened to the guy with the hundreds?

I had a nice conversation with Mark and I didn't think that our car was a good fit for his program. I think he also contacted K-hill about their RT-41 and they could supply back up and support that would be more in line with what he wanted to do. I didn't think of it at the time but an early formula Mazda might have been a good option for him. Mark has a lot of laps around Daytona and knowledge of how to get around that track having done the 24 hrs. many times. I'm thinking you guys in bay area should get the cars for use in FS. Buy 005 as a roller and do another Audi turbo or find another FT for 013 and build two. Or get both as sliders, no engine or FT, and build some carbon tub big bike engined FB type cars. Let your imagination run wild. I have parts spread all over the shop and need to put them back in storage soon. Help me store it with a new owner.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    I had a nice conversation with Mark and I didn't think that our car was a good fit for his program. I think he also contacted K-hill about their RT-41 and they could supply back up and support that would be more in line with what he wanted to do. I didn't think of it at the time but an early formula Mazda might have been a good option for him. Mark has a lot of laps around Daytona and knowledge of how to get around that track having done the 24 hrs. many times. I'm thinking you guys in bay area should get the cars for use in FS. Buy 005 as a roller and do another Audi turbo or find another FT for 013 and build two. Or get both as sliders, no engine or FT, and build some carbon tub big bike engined FB type cars. Let your imagination run wild. I have parts spread all over the shop and need to put them back in storage soon. Help me store it with a new owner.
    don't think they allow tubs in FB (F1000)

He said make FB type cars not FB, F1000 class cars he even said FS. But what fun turbo motorcycle power in a carbon tub Atlantic.

I have to say all this talk of modifying these cars with other power plants makes me sad. I know he needs to move the cars but they should stay as delivered. Will they beat the latest-and-greatest Swifts? No. Are they capable of holding their own in amateur racing against the Ralts (4 through 41) - you bet. These cars are, above all else, reliable and well built. Reasonably easy to work on and the gearbox will last. The 4AG motor is easy to run. I'm trying to make the case that these cars should be considered by anyone with a hankering to run Club Atlantic on a reasonable budget with a minimum of effort. And, no, I can't fit. That's why I had the 89/90H cars. The extra inch of legroom made all the difference. For comparison, I am 6'6" in helmet. I had to extend the roll bars on the 89/90H cars by two inches.

IMO the price he quoted is a great starting point (if you know what I mean, Vern.)

Disclaimer: I have no interest in these cars and I wouldn't know J. Leonard if I bumped into him on the street.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information