Thread: Effective 10/1

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Effective 10/1

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/14-10.pdf

AIM part #DNKTKPFSOL5 now required for the Runoffs and Majors for P1, P2 and FB.

Liked: 23

Is this the same data collection device that required the 2"x 2" steel plate on the car this season for FB's racing major events?

Liked: 202

It is the same device, but after losing two boxes off P1 cars at ACS the rule was changed to require the AiM piece that locks the box in better. Someone argued the original rule covered only the Majors events and not the Runoffs, so this corrects that omission.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 159

Default aim mounts

Hopefully someone talked to AIM before making this decision......they don't keep a lot of anything on the shelf....at least that is my experience......and we are talking about most of the cars in these classes.

Jerry

Liked: 84

How much do these things cost? Are we going to buy these and never see this experiment happen like the flat metal thingy? I say we just zip tie these b*tches down. what are they trying to figure out anyway?
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

JP, i hear you , what does it take to tie one of these things down,,,,,, good luck in ca,,,,, i will be watching on the internet

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    Hopefully someone talked to AIM before making this decision......they don't keep a lot of anything on the shelf....at least that is my experience......and we are talking about most of the cars in these classes.

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    How much do these things cost? Are we going to buy these and never see this experiment happen like the flat metal thingy? I say we just zip tie these b*tches down. what are they trying to figure out anyway?
    The AiM Solo bracket has been required on P1 (and P2 and FB) cars since March 1, 2014. See the March Fastrack, p. 11. AiM itself isn't the only source. I got mine (in January) from Veracity Racing Data (David Ferguson), and it cost $13.50 plus $6.95 shipping.

Liked: 159

Default aim mounts

At some point after the initial fasttrack announcement....after considerable discussion.....we were allowed to use a flat ferrous plate....which was easier for some competitors to mount. The falling off of two solo's has apparently changed that.

Jerry

Liked: 3

Default How do you mount this thing??

I hope I'm not too much of a dumb dumb here but how do you mount this thing? I got one from Pegasus. It has two holes for countersinks, then two nipples on the other side and I see two little screws that appear to mount into the nipple holes. I was assuming the tabs point up so if I mount using the countersinks, the 2 nipples don't allow the plate to sit flush. Am I missing something or do the nipples holes have to be beyond whatever you're mounting to? If the two screws are needed to mount into the solo, do I have these just sitting in the thing until the solo is mounted - it looks like there are two tiny c-rings to retain these screws but they could easily vibrate out. Any suggestions!! Thanks.
    James

Liked: 23

I know how- really good quality Velcro.

Default Mounting

Really? Th's kind of grytic - any other suggestions? I guess the problem is I don't understand how the solo device is mounted to the plate. Thank you.

Here's how I have the plate mounted on my Dauntless wing centermount. This orientation puts the AiM Solo's GPS eye on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right side view.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	48551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left side view.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	48552  

Quote Originally Posted by James Michael View Post
    I hope I'm not too much of a dumb dumb here but how do you mount this thing? I got one from Pegasus. It has two holes for countersinks, then two nipples on the other side and I see two little screws that appear to mount into the nipple holes. I was assuming the tabs point up so if I mount using the countersinks, the 2 nipples don't allow the plate to sit flush. Am I missing something or do the nipples holes have to be beyond whatever you're mounting to? If the two screws are needed to mount into the solo, do I have these just sitting in the thing until the solo is mounted - it looks like there are two tiny c-rings to retain these screws but they could easily vibrate out. Any suggestions!! Thanks.
    James
    The tiny E-clips did not vibrate out of my mounting bracket during the two U.S. Majors weekends I ran this year, and the screws just sat there without a Solo being mounted.

Liked: 282

Quote Originally Posted by James Michael View Post
    I hope I'm not too much of a dumb dumb here but how do you mount this thing?
    I pull the captive screws out with a pair of pliers, then I grind the bumps on the back flat. Now I can mount it easily to a surface in the cockpit of our P2 cars.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    I pull the captive screws out with a pair of pliers, then I grind the bumps on the back flat. Now I can mount it easily to a surface in the cockpit of our P2 cars.
    That would work if you have room in the cockpit for it, but I have a removable carbon fiber helmet surround that would be problematic for mounting the bracket in the rear part of the cockpit opening, and I don't want a Solo fastened in the front part of the cockpit opening where my hands and forearms are. It was my understanding that the bracket needs to be in a location that is accessible to people in the pits to quickly mount and remove the Solo. I believe the wing support meets that requirement, and the screws provide an additional means of securing the Solo to avoid slinging it off the rear end of the car.

Liked: 9

I've mounted mine on top of the previously required steel plate (itself attached with high strength Velcro), drilling two 5/8" diameter holes through the steel plate to provide clearance for the dimple pair (and of course tapping the steel plate to receive small flathead screws to hold the new mount).

Grinding off the dimples to mount directly is also a great idea. And yes I was told officially that the captive screws are not required. I still don't know how this data box is to be fastened in spite of asking the same official source!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Cook View Post
    And yes I was told officially that the captive screws are not required. I still don't know how this data box is to be fastened in spite of asking the same official source!
    This, along with the fact that these data boxes have repeatedly fallen off, is why I found a location that allowed me to mount my bracket so that using the screws was still an option. The data box isn't going to come off the car if the screws are threaded into the back side of the box.

Default Mounting

Thanks for the info - I was thinking of mounting mine on the horizontal flange of my rear diffuser behing the rear wheel - pretty dirty air back there so hopefully no aero impact. This was about the only spot I could find and would give a clear view up. It would be lying in the horizontal direction. I guess I could have it hanging over the edge of the diffuser so the nipple holes could be used but I'm glad to hear I don't have to carry those tiny screws around all the time. No really good places to mount anywhere else on the Stohr. Cheers,
    James

Thread Information