Thread: Tire Choice

Liked: 0

Default Tire Choice

We are about to change from using GoodYear 160s on our Euroswift FC to either Hoosiers or Avons. What is the tire of your choice, compound and why. Also, what cold pressure should be used, hot pressure expected. in addition, camber and toe for both front and rear. Yes, I know that I am asking for the world, but any help will be appreciated.
    Ian L. McKechnie (dad)
    Crewchief FC 61

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 908

Hoosier R-35.

Determine pressures with the pyrometer and camber adjustments as needed . Start at 10/12 cold.

Liked: 588

3/8 out F, 3/8 in R, neg 1 degree front - a place to start - R35

Liked: 121

A good place to start would be same settings as before while making appropriate ride hight changes due to different tire diameters between manufacturers. Testing will dial you in more precisely.

Liked: 95

I would speculate that there just might be a set of Avons on one of the 3 cars taking the top spots at the Runoffs.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 600

Default FC tire

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Hoosier R-35.

Determine pressures with the pyrometer and camber adjustments as needed . Start at 10/12 cold.
    Steve, that start pressure is too low for the Hoosiers (also probably Avon). Remember, we had this discussion at Mid-Ohio a couple of years ago !
    Desired hot pressures for the R35A Hoosiers are 18 front, 19 rear.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 120

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Steve, that start pressure is too low for the Hoosiers (also probably Avon). Remember, we had this discussion at Mid-Ohio a couple of years ago !
    Desired hot pressures for the R35A Hoosiers are 18 front, 19 rear.
    Can confirm way too low for avons

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc View Post
    I would speculate that there just might be a set of Avons on one of the 3 cars taking the top spots at the Runoffs.
    I would speculate this as well if I knew who all was on avons. Any knowledge as to this?

Liked: 5

Default Avons

I have had nothing but success and good consistent laps with Avons. I have driven both avons and Hoosiers and personally much prefer the avons. The general opinion is that Hoosiers initially after scrubbing will be a bit faster but then fall off much faster, where as the avons generally exhibit a more linear wear and heating patttern. The only down side is they're a bit harder to find especially at the start of the season.

As for pressures we usually aim for 20-21 hot all round.

If you would like some more detailed info send me an email or PM and id be glad to help you out!
    Last edited by Zac.B; 09.24.14 at 3:17 PM.

Liked: 26

Definitely concur. Too low on those pressures and the toe in/out numbers do not seem accurate as well.

Have run both and average total in/out of near 2mm. 3/8" seems to be excessive.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

On the Reynard Hoosiers I start cold 16# Fr & 17# R. Adjust to track temp. 1 degree neg caster. 2mm Toe Out Fr. 2mm Toe In R. Then check tire temps.

From my limited experience, the Avons seem to be the preferred tire.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 0

First of all, thanks for all the good advice. I used a combination of it this last weekend and it seemed to work well. We only had a couple of problems of note. During our last practice on Saturday, we lost the clutch, so we thrashed and put on our spare 5.5 dia. clutch disk and just had everything back and tight for the Saturday afternoon race. On Sunday, while out on practice, we lost a rear wheel due to a stub axle that broke. We did not expect this as we had just gotten the stub axle a couple of months ago from England. Without a spare, that finished up our weekend and of course missed the race. Bummer, but that is racing. Thanks again for all your help.
    Ian L. McKechnie (dad)
    Crewchief FC 61

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Kudos on the rapid clutch change !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information