Liked: 10

Default Chain Drive Diff Reviews?

There are 3 main chain drive differential options out there that I know of, TRE, WRD and ICP/variloc. I'm looking for insight on the things one can't find on their websites like reliability, rebuild intervals, etc. I would be particularly interested if anyone could provide a performance comparison between the variloc and WRD.

Liked: 273

I've run 2 of the 3 listed above.

You are welcome to contact me by email if you would like a more detailed evaluation.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 159

Default chain drive difs

We are using the TRE dif in the JDR cars (5 cars on track so far)....and they work great and have been very durable. No push.....great traction in the wet....not sure you could ask for more.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars

Liked: 1397

I think you will find that all three diffs are very good and durable. You won't make a mistake with what ever you choose.

The ICP/Variloc is a derivative of the Vairloc diff for the Speedway Mini Stock rear end. It has been in production approaching 20 years and has an almost unbroken string of SCCA national championships in multiple production classes since it was introduced.

The diff is a Salsbury design, similar to the Hewland Power Flow diff. With the Variloc diff, you can set the diff up as an open diff, or all the way to a very aggressive locking diff. You can also have different settings (locking force) for power on and lift throttle settings.

The output flanges are the same dimensions as the Hewland LD200 so drive shafts, etc. can be common with other formula cars.

With a car that has the power to weight ratio of a FB, getting the diff set just right can be a very big advantage.

Liked: 0

Hi Gary

Can you CC me in on your evaluation please.

Chris
    F1000 Perth

Liked: 35

Here is this year in F1000 . Not to mention the fastest lap ever at Road America in DSR . 1.56.

F1000 2014

6=first
    12=seconds
    7=thirds
    Clean sweep at the June Sprints. Podiums so far at every race on the west coast . All podiums excepted for one race on the East coast.
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Thread Information