Liked: 10

Default vintage in the Cendiv

Can anyone tell me what vintage groups are located in the Cendiv?

Thanks,
    Jim

Liked: 87

Default vintage groups

You have SVRA and VSCDA which are both great organizations. I would also look at the Monoposto website to see its 2014 schedule-it crosses over between clubs and gives some registration discounts like you were a member of that club. I'm not sure about Midwest Council having a vintage group, but also a good source close to you. SCCA only will let cars run with 1978? style dash hoop updates (dash hoop same size as main hoop), so vintage fords and vees wouldn't be legal with current GCR.I you want to run Monoposto 70's,then you can even run SCCA as well in a Super Vee or Atlantic.

What class are you interested in??

Mike W

Default Vintage

Mike, thanks for the info. The car is a 79 tiga ff.

Thanks

Default in that case...

I would put a set of Vintage Dunlops on a spare set of wheels and run vintage Group 2 with the Vintage Fords and Club Fords (they both run together) and use them as well for "rains" in SCCA, with "slicks" in SCCA for "drys"
    A 79 Tiga is a great car as shown in club ford at the FF 40th anniversary!!!
    My vote would be buy a set of Dunlops and run everywhere and see what you like the best...
    Mike W

Liked: 47

Default Midwest Council

Hi Jim,
    Midwest Council has a vintage run group, however, most vintage formula cars run with the regular formula car group. Council had more club fords then SVRA, VSCDA, and SCCA combined, plus a good number of early 80's FF's to race against.
    Or put some sticky tires on the Tiga and run FF.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default In that case..

Mike and Ian,

I truly appreciate the info..you both have given me something to think about. Its time to get the car done and wait for it to warm up!!!

Thanks again,
    Jim

Liked: 1

Default Vintage in the CenDiv

Here's the Midwestern Council 2014 schedule: http://www.mcscc.org/events.php . Please ocntact me with any questions at president@mcscc.org. I hope to see you out there!

#17 PRS RH02 CFF

Default licensing requirements

Do you guys have any info on licensing requirements for the SVRA and VSCDA? I've been away for 13 years.

Thanks,
    Jim

Default Get SCCA if possible...

I think everyone takes an SCCA Lic, while its not that way everywhere else. I have been out for some time as well (last race was 2009). While reading posts it appears that SCCA has changed some rules starting in 2014, but probably still looked at as the gold standard for licensing.

Mike Winebrenner

Liked: 95

Jim,
    As I understand it, SVRA & VSCDA both accept a MC license. Come on out and race with us dare hey!
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Hey Jack,

I am getting some resistance from SCCA about giving me a license after a long layoff...It looks like I will need a school. If the car gets done I would like to do the April MC and BHF. Wait...did you say Dare?? LOL

Jim

Liked: 95

I don't know for certain if we have a drivers school packet ready for the April school as of yet. I will find out and forward it to you if it's ready, aye?
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Default vintage in Cendiv

VSCDA does not license drivers. They issue membership cards; however prefer to not take on the liability of licensing drivers. Based on the intimation during the last VMC meeting, SVRA also does not license drivers. Only drivers can be SVRA members, so there is no distinction made on their membership cards.

Here's my suggestion:
    Talk to the cendiv SCCA license official (Bob Clark) and see if you can get a full competition license (skipping the novice license requirements) after completing the one day (April 25) SCCA school based on performance. This is your ticket into running with council immediately since I don't think they honor a novice license. Council has a really good drivers school, but it won't help if you want to race at Brainerd this year.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default vintage in the Cendiv

MCSCC recognizes SCCA Novice licenses and I believe SCCA recognizes MCSCC Novice licenses. The MCSCC school is April 19th at BFR.

Lynn,

It's not clear in the MCSCC GCR and the following I found on the website "Our General Competition Rules are published before each season starts and are available online. Most of our open and closed wheel race classes fit very closely with other popular racing organizations and we even accept most full competition licenses such as those from the SCCA, BMWCCA, WHRRI, CASC, and others." Is a novice license considered a full competition license?
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by mdwracer View Post
    I think everyone takes an SCCA Lic, while its not that way everywhere else. I have been out for some time as well (last race was 2009). While reading posts it appears that SCCA has changed some rules starting in 2014, but probably still looked at as the gold standard for licensing.

Mike Winebrenner
    I was told that the Corinthian group (races mostly in Texas and Oklahoma) does not accept SCCA licences as they think many drivers are 5too agressive and don't have a vintage attitude. This is only heresay as I inquired about renting a car for one of there races and was told by the renter that I needed a license from a Vintage club.
    butch deer

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    Lynn,

It's not clear in the MCSCC GCR and the following I found on the website "Our General Competition Rules are published before each season starts and are available online. Most of our open and closed wheel race classes fit very closely with other popular racing organizations and we even accept most full competition licenses such as those from the SCCA, BMWCCA, WHRRI, CASC, and others." Is a novice license considered a full competition license?

Acceptance of the SCCA Novice license was just passed by the BOD in November, so likely has not made the GCR yet. Here's the verbiage from the meeting:

Since the SCCA has replaced their Regional license with a Novice license and since they have adopted our school format and curriculum we will accept a SCCA Novice license for guest competition if the holder has completed a SCCA school. In addition, with a Council club membership this Novice license may be exchanged for a Council license at the discretion of the License Director.

So, it is not a slam dunk that a competitor who has a SCCA Novice license would get a Full Comp. We've given latitude to the Licensing Director (and Comp Director) to investigate how many events/much experiance the competitor has to determine the appropriate license level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    Here's my suggestion:
    Talk to the cendiv SCCA license official (Bob Clark) and see if you can get a full competition license (skipping the novice license requirements) after completing the one day (April 25) SCCA school based on performance. This is your ticket into running with council immediately since I don't think they honor a novice license. Council has a really good drivers school, but it won't help if you want to race at Brainerd this year.
    Hey Ian,

Bob is doing just that for me. Giving me the license, but requiring the school...thanks for your input!!

Jim

Liked: 0

Have you looked at VSCR? They run at Brainerd as a seperate run group... you get to share the weekend with TransAm, World Challenge and others. Lots of fun.
    Jon R

The fewer the facts the stronger the opinion.

Thread Information