Winter Series Opening Weekend: Andretti Autosport's Zach Veach Clean Sweeps in the Pro FM Class
HASA Racing's Mike Anderson wins both races in the Formula Mazda Class

Sonoma, CA
November 15, 2011

This past weekend 20 Mazda powered open wheel racers took to the technical and challenging full course at Infineon Raceway. The double header weekend was the opener for the Formula Car Challenge presented by Goodyear Winter Series.

Andretti Autosport "Mazda Road to Indy" regular Zach Veach used two pole positions and two race wins to sweep the entire weekend at Infineon Raceway in the Pro Formula Mazda class.

"It's been an honor to finish the weekend with a clean sweep during the Formula Car Challenge Winter Series in Sonoma for Team Zakosi Data Backup," said Veach, who had one previous start at Infineon Raceway where he qualified eighth and finished seventh in his first ever Star Mazda race event. "Two poles, two race wins and leading every lap-it was really just a great weekend for us."

Peter Workum secured pole on Saturday in the Formula Mazda class, and held the position for awhile before Mike Anderson took it away for the win. On Sunday Workum was off pole but was able to get ahead of pole sitter Anderson early on. Peter built a large gap to Anderson, but late in the race Anderson made a charge and took the win. "I wanted to beat Mike very badly," stated Workum. "But I couldn't hold him off any longer. I knew that if I finished right behind him that I would still win the regular season championship and I was very happy about that."

Complete story with official results, photos, and video from the weekend can be found here...