Liked: 146

Default Sprints--split start or no

Gentleman--

The upcoming June Sprints FM/FF race group may include as few as 3 FMs, all very on the pace. Do you think it would be better to decline the split start? At the green flag we'll get lost and have our race, you guys have yours. Less FFs lapped by the end. Just a suggestion. Of course if the situation changes by the weekend, we can forget it.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 1426

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    Gentleman--

The upcoming June Sprints FM/FF race group may include as few as 3 FMs, all very on the pace. Do you think it would be better to decline the split start? At the green flag we'll get lost and have our race, you guys have yours. Less FFs lapped by the end. Just a suggestion. Of course if the situation changes by the weekend, we can forget it.

Id be good with no split. Who ever is on the FF pole can just lag back 50 feet from the last FM. Works well.

Either way, I am ok with it.

Liked: 218

When it was FE and FF we did not do a split start and had no issues. Not one! Are you hearing me SCCA?
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Id be good with no split. Who ever is on the FF pole can just lag back 50 feet from the last FM.
    So what ya gonna do when the P2 FM is in 2nd place FF, and P3 FM is in 4th place FF ??

No Sprints entry from me, Watch out for the less than smart FM's that pull a front wheel up to your rear at T6 turn in, and crash you both out on drivers left wall, been there done that.
    #nosprintspodiumforme

I'd recommend a class split for Grid, one pace car, pre-approval for a 200' gap, and a patient FF polesitter. (Gotta get the FF polesitter on his preferred side, regardless of even or odd # of FM)
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 1426

Good point marc. I was going with the comment that said they were three faster guys. Polesitt err r on the correct side is an issue. Didnt think of that.

Id say a split start without a second pacecar. Let the ff polesitter lag back.

Quote Originally Posted by mblanc View Post
    So what ya gonna do when the P2 FM is in 2nd place FF, and P3 FM is in 4th place FF ??

No Sprints entry from me, Watch out for the less than smart FM's that pull a front wheel up to your rear at T6 turn in, and crash you both out on drivers left wall, been there done that.
    #nosprintspodiumforme
    The three FMs entered are all capable of consistently turning 2:16s, and less. As the entry list currently stands there are no slow FMs that will interfere with the lead FF serial in any way. If that changes we can do a split start. I understand the desire to have the FF polesitter on the inside in a conventional lineup; I'm not sure if that can be done without a 2-pace car split as we know it. I just thought it would be nice for less FFs to be lapped, especially on Sunday.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 91

I would prefer not to have a split start.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    The three FMs entered are all capable of consistently turning 2:16s, and less.
    Good,
    My previous comment obviously not directed towards them.

Seems like it should work out great, somebody just needs to bring along another friend in FM.
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Wills might show up, fastest of us all, kind of.
    Besides, wouldn't a pole guy like a row to himself, getting a sweet tow off those FM monstrosites into 1? I never complained about the same situation with the FAs.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thread Information