Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generation Gap

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Generation Gap

I stopped by the Batteries Plus store this morning for a new battery for the Reynard.

Two guys in the store. One old geezer like me & a young kid about 30. The older guy & I start talking about Formula Racing, BIR, Paul Newman, etc.

We both have stories of meeting Paul at BIR. Paul's career in movies & his racing for decades.

I noticed the 30 yr old looking rather puzzled. I asked him if he knew who we were talking about ? He had never heard of Paul Newman. Absolutely clueless.

I felt a bit older as I left the store....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 80

Default i can match that, and up you one

used to work with a 20-something woman. pln came up in conversation one day. she'd never heard of him.

this was in a big online photo lab. she was quality control supervisor. she didn't know who ansel adams was either.

top that.

Liked: 1868

Hell, half the time when I get up in the morning, I don't know who I am!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Did you read about the TSA official who detained a resident of Washington State because he, the traveler did not have a passport. The TSA official did not know Washington State was part of the US. Clueless, protecting us, and we are paying for this?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by steve zemke View Post
    Did you read about the TSA official who detained a resident of Washington State because he, the traveler did not have a passport. The TSA official did not know Washington State was part of the US. Clueless, protecting us, and we are paying for this?
    Correction: "DC"

It was Washington, DC.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by steve zemke View Post
    ....Washington State was part of the US....
    Heck, half the people who live here think we're a separate country. That half of the people here are members of the Tree Huggers party of the Anti-gun Club.

What other State could you go to and have an important law maker calling Richard Petty an alcoholic and a drunk?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thems fightin' words ! I was fortunate enough to see Richard win his 200th at the Firecracker 400. It was a great race. I think they may have ran an extra lap as Cale was leading & leaning hard on Richard at the end

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

As an undergrad living on wiener water soup and the GI bill, I took a job as a school bus driver. One of my passengers was a precocious fifth grade girl named Brenda.

Upon graduating, I re-entered the Army for flight training. 8 Nov 80, while on leave to my home town, I went to my favorite pub for a few, and bumped into Brenda, now of legal age to imbibe. She kindly asked me to join her, and we renewed our friendship.

I went to the bar to order another round, and the TV in the corner of the bar flashed breaking news that Steve McQueen had died. I commented out loud that this was a shame, as I considered McQueen an outstanding actor as well as a fine race car driver. An undergrad sitting next to me said, "Who's Steve McQueen".

I was actually stunned, but I let it go. Gathering the libation, I returned to our table, and relayed the story to Brenda. Then I added "not knowing who Steve McQueen was like not knowing who William Calley is". Brenda says, "who's William Calley".

V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Some people are just clueless, regardless of generation.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Some people are just clueless, regardless of generation.
    Sometimes its simply lack of exposure - not lack of interest, etc....

Young people today get flooded with crap and it has nothing to do with the history of the sport. Go to a track day and anyone under 30 knows nothing of the past. Ken Block is their old man......

About 5 years ago my son and I joined a local club - Gold Coast Roadsters - part of the SCTA. The average member age was 75 and these old bastards were still building and running at El Mirage and Bonneville. Gold Coast hosts an annual "Dry Lake Racing Hall of Fame" event. Who attends? Iski, Vic Jr, Callaway, Granatelli and all those old dudes that created a lot of what motorsport is today. Its a Whos who.
    http://www.mendenhallmuseum.com/history.php

He was lucky to meet, talk and listen to all these guys. He now has a lot of respect and understands the greatest generation's affect on motorsport.

So, don't be pissed that the kids don't know. Be sad for them - they'll never meet or experience these people for which they owe a lot...

Its our job to teach the history..... and help organizations like Mendenhall to preserve this history. Mendenhalls - if you get the chance to go there - not open to the public - has cars from Newman, Garner and all those guys who Jack Mendenhall raced with....
    Tons of history.....

It just shows the power of the media. A great generation is passing. I'm grateful for all they did. True pioneers ! Here's to the next generation of standard bearers & innovators !

Liked: 8

Default Technology

Yes completely true that our children don't know our early hero's, but unfortunately I still need to go to my grandson to set the video and to transfer files and photos on the computer.!!
    "Don't you know anything Pa !! ???"

Ecclestone

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Thems fightin' words ! I was fortunate enough to see Richard win his 200th at the Firecracker 400. It was a great race. I think they may have ran an extra lap as Cale was leading & leaning hard on Richard at the end
    was that not the race where his engine measured "oversize" LOL

Liked: 310

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    was that not the race where his engine measured "oversize" LOL
    The race with the oversized engine occured at Charlotte in October 1983. The car also had left side tires on the right side after the last pit stop. Petty did not know of the oversized engine and said if he did he would have not won and stayed in third or fouth. Maurice Petty built the engine without Richard's knowledge. Maurice "resigned" form Petty Enterprises after the incident. Richard left Petty Enterprises after the 83 season to drive for Mike Curb in 84 and 85.

The rumors of the illegal engine at the Firecracker race started after a pre-race dispute between the Curb team and the Di-Gard team. Curb was leasing engines from Di-Gard and the dipute was over late payments. The engine was apparently legal.

Having 'lefts' on the right side had to be a handful ! As a casual NASCAR fan, the show they put on was very exciting ! The thought that you could buy the 'same' car they were racing back then was a big part of it's popularity. Just like the original Trans Am cars. It sure was fun watching Mustangs, Camaros & Javelins running so fast & hard. Again, being able to drive the 'same' cars on the street was a big part of Trans Am's popularity.

Hmmmmm..... What if TESLA started it's own race series ? The TESLA 500 ! Or 250. Or 125. Or 50..... Has anyone ever taken one out on a track day ? I wonder how many fast laps you could get ? Sounds like an episode for Top Gear ! TESLA racing !

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Having 'lefts' on the right side had to be a handful !
    Actually it would make your car a short-term rocket; left-side Goodyears were softer because of the radical weight bias allowed back then. The tech guys prowling pit lane should've caught that, but for some reason they didn't that day. Bobby Allison was the main instigator of the oversized Petty Daytona engine, because he was the king of paranoia. A shame because he was a brilliant racer.

As for the 400, there was a crash as the leaders entered turn 1 with 2 laps to go, so as per the rules they would race back to the white/yellow flag. Everyone knew it was the de facto finish, so it wasn't really a letdown.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thx for the insight ! I was just thinking about tire stagger. Lots of info casual fans like me never hear about.

Default Electric car racing

"road tested" an electric Smart about a year ago and burnt up about 15% of the charge in a few miles.........seems they would only be practical on a "short circuit" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    .........seems they would only be practical on a "short circuit" LOL
    We'll see about that with the launch of FE racing in Europe next year.

Liked: 278

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    We'll see about that with the launch of FE racing in Europe next year.
    Actually FE launches in Beijing in a few weeks.

Liked: 384

FE launched here in States in 2004.
    Formula E will launch in Beijing.
    Just setting stings strait.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 384

I m 38 now.
    So no spring chicken and i knew most of names you talking about at age of 12.
    However i was born and raised in Eastern Europe,we did pay attention to history.
    Ask any local 30 year old , who Fangio or Jackie Stewart is and watch their faces......

It's sad that people know retarded no talent (or look for that matter )celebrities of
    reality television(doing nothing on tv) and are clueless about individuals that shaped
    their country thru different achievements in various sports and technical industries.

I'll make sure to do good job teaching my kid right.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

America's history books are being re-written, leaving out many of the best & brightest. Here in Minnesota, they re-named the main terminal at the airport. What was the Lindbergh Terminal is now Terminal 1. Very sad.

As men such as Dan Carmichael pass on, we loose so very much of what has made America great. Men of honor, integrity & achievement are ignored by our main stream media, while clueless idiots & low life's are held up as examples of success.

I can think of no higher compliment for men like Dan than to say they have absolutely nothing in common with the current POTUS.....

Liked: 3

I was born in 1964 (oops shouldn't have said that), a lot of big stuff happened in the '63-'65 time frame as far as world history and definitely motorsports... By the time I was 6 and watching TV and learning to read - the images and stories of Dan Gurney, AJ, Mario and so on were the big deal and my motorsports heroes were established... Over the course of the last 45 years I have met those guys and more... And I giggle like a little kid every time I think about it... I have a bunch of young engineers on my staff that say "AJ Gurney who and Mario Bros what?" but they know the blood type of all the Formula Drift drivers...

Times change... Technology changes... We gotta roll with it - look to Dan Gurney and the Delta Wing...

Long live Motorsports!

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian64 View Post
    I was born in 1964 (oops shouldn't have said that), a lot of big stuff happened in the '63-'65 time frame.....Long live Motorsports!
    LOL, In 64 I was deep in the heart of the Vietnam War. That's one event I'll never forget.

Hmmmm..... Open Wheel Drifting.... I suppose I could take the bricks I call slicks & wipe them down with vegetable oil, add an onboard pressurized oil spray system to keep the rears lubricated & smokin'. Add air show oil injection to exhaust re-routed to rears. I could make the old Reynard look like she's makin' 700 hp ! as long as the oil system keeps sprayin' I be driftin' ! Note to self....Remove rear diffuser. Add rear rub blocks....

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Kazis31 View Post
    FE launched here in States in 2004.
    Formula E will launch in Beijing.
    Just setting stings strait.
    Does anyone know if the Formula E will be televised or at least streamed? I'd love to follow the adventure. Having driven a few electric cars and been around some experimental electric development, the torque is incredible and the acceleration should be rocket-like. This will be a very fun area to watch as it develops.
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

Liked: 2

"I can think of no higher compliment for men like Dan than to say they have absolutely nothing in common with the current POTUS...."

I guess it has to be the same ones that think the President who was born in Hawaii, are ignorant of the fact that Hawaii is in the USA. We could lose the ignorant birther movement.

To the ignorant it is lose, not loose. To loose something, makes no sense.

If you object to this, then keep your politics out of the discussion.

Bruce

Liked: 1868

Says the guy who took it to a whole 'nother level......

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

can't we all just get along?

I wasn't talking politics. I was talking about Character. Courage. Honesty. Integrity. Accomplishment. Service. Loyalty. Self Reliance. All wrapped up in Humility. Compassion & Charity. A generation who worked hard to make this world a better place through their own volition. Never seeking a hand-out. Always ready to give a hand up. The best of human character. Good, Decent Men who saved this world from the most vile & evil war machines to ever plaque this planet. Many who gave their lives that we might live. Not just live, but thrive !

I am an or do man living an ordinary life. All made possible by these extraordinary men of "The Greatest Generation" that have gone before me.

My words can not fully express my gratitude, my appreciation, my respect for these truly remarkable men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    ....... I added "not knowing who Steve McQueen was like not knowing who William Calley is". Brenda says, "who's William Calley". Iverson
    Geez Rick you are TOUGH! I was over there for 3 years and I barely remember Calley. Not like he's WORTH remembering to begin with.

McQueen brings back so many great memories Calley ? not so much

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Famous and Infamous

At the time of Calley's conviction, March 29, 1971, I was conducting one of several dozen search and destroy missions I had been on with Company B, 4th Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade. Starting to think I was getting short with 111 days and counting.

"We was always taking long walks, and we was always looking for a guy named Charlie."

V/r

Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    "I can think of no higher compliment for men like Dan than to say they have absolutely nothing in common with the current POTUS...."

I guess it has to be the same ones that think the President who was born in Hawaii, are ignorant of the fact that Hawaii is in the USA. We could lose the ignorant birther movement.

To the ignorant it is lose, not loose. To loose something, makes no sense.

Bruce
    Yo Bruce. Lighten up a bit Pally. We're family here!

V/r

Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Yo Bruce. Lighten up a bit Pally. We're family here!

V/r Iverson
    Yeah besides, Hawaii didn't become a State until 1959. So Barack cut it a bit close.

But then it was a US territory so it would have counted any way. Sigh

Liked: 1417

Enough of the politics, please, or this thread gets locked down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information