Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Austrailian F-1000 from Perth

http://youtu.be/6r-dmwWRDUQ

Looks like the Aussie boys are having fun.

Liked: 23

Very cool... seems to be a little conservative on the RPM's. AND check out the shifter down on the left side...

Liked: 273

I'm diggin' the left hand shifter.

I believe that's a Speads or a clone of one. He got a crappy start seemed like he was fishing for a gear.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 444

"I believe that's a Speads or a clone of one."

Yep... JKS.

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I'm diggin' the left hand shifter.
    Oz is a RHD country so lefthand shifting is natural for them.

Don't ask me how often I've flown to the UK, rented a car, launched out into London traffic, then kept my left hand on the steering wheel only to find that the window winder doesn't shift gears too well. By which time six cars have passed me, three on each side.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Austrailian f-1000

I believe that's a Speads or a clone of one.

http://www.ausf1000.com.au/home

From the website, they call it a JKS. I have seen it as a Aztec.
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 07.31.14 at 7:36 AM.

Liked: 1

I hope it really works out for these guys in Perth. (My home town) The cars look great, sound great & could be a real rival to the established Formula Ford's. There are some good guys pushing this class's development.
    As for speed, the top Tin Top category in Aust does around 56/57 sec laps of Barbagallo, these guys are now getting into the 58's, FF typically is in the 60/61 sec laps.

If I was more serious, less recreational and didn't like my Historic F2 so much this is the class I go for. An Injected BDG sounds better to

As for shifting, I didn't think it mattered what side you used since you use electronic's.
    I've driven manually shifting cars & race cars with the gear lever on both sides & never noticed any difference.
    Driving on the wrong side tho (Right) that's an entirely different matter.

Liked: 273

Default Gotta push it harder

Quote Originally Posted by giffo View Post
    As for speed, the top Tin Top category in Aust does around 56/57 sec laps of Barbagallo, these guys are now getting into the 58's, FF typically is in the 60/61 sec laps.
    They must not be pushing the cars hard enough, I noticed the in car video it looked like the highest rpm shift he did was maybe 9800. It actually sounded as though he was short shifting.

Almost any track we are at we are like 10 sometimes 15 seconds faster than a FF.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 8

Default Aussie F1000

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your interest. Yes the Yellow car carrying the camera is a JKS from John Kirby (UK modified Speads). We are in our 1st year of racing and now have 8 cars in Western Australia with a further 3 in Queensland (5000 KMs away).

Most of our drivers have come from FV and are still adapting to Wings and Slicks. We are running Hankook C71 tyres as they were the only manufacturer prepared to support with a suitable product without charging like wounded bulls for the priveledge.

V8 Super Cars are the dominant series in Australia and at the recent Perth round we were able to have 5 cars put on a display in front of a large crowd. Small steps but we are working hard to establish the class. We have organised a 2 minute intro video that is only our website - www.ausf1000.com.au that you maybe interested in.

All our cars have been imported from USA or UK therefore we have to bear the added shipping expense as well as the cost of the car. We are in the throws of establishing contacts both in the US and UK. To date George Dean, Richard at Rilltech, the guys at Stohr and Firman's in the UK have been very patient and supportive of all the questions that have been thrown at them.

It will take time to fully establish the category in WA to begin with and then the rest of Australia. The noise and speed of these cars make creates interest every time they go out and we just need more guys to get off the fence and join us to make it a success.

Derek Burns
    AUS F1000 President

Liked: 1845

Good luck to you guys - it's a great class.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Maybe

These guys have learned from our mistakes and have imposed a rev limit!

Liked: 2

Default revs

Interesting you guys all picked up on the RPM as well. I was in the car infront and having to rev the nuts off it to stay ahead...???

F1000 have now just droped down into the 55s per lap which is about 2 seconds a lap faster than V8 supercars.

Lots still to come as we all get used to this category its addictivejust got a zebulon front wing and looking at BRD upgrades :-)

Thread Information