Thread: Runoffs entries

Liked: 34

Default Runoffs entries

WE stand at 22. I only know of one other who hasn't entered but is planning to do so. Is this going to be it? 23? Anyone else? If this is it, pathetic. Poor showing from our class.

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

I know of at least 4 more that are running but have not entered. Still pathetic......
    Scott

Liked: 72

I am expecting more entries but an economically challenged class like ours is likely to fall short of towing across the country. In past years only a handful of vees came from the west coast. In total, entries have gone over the 400 mark.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Perspective....

Roughly 2/3's of the FV folks eligible have entered. That's pretty good.

22 of the classes have more pitiful entry numbers.

I don't think economically challenged class is a factor, there are classes with typically much larger budgets that aren't showing up in droves.

If healthy field sizes of close competition is a major criteria SRF, SM are your only real choices inside SCCA. If neither of those cars appeal to you, then I'd say you don't have a much better option than FV.

Liked: 23

I was excited when Laguna was picked for the Runoffs. I put in for 3 weeks vacation. (A track I always wanted to run.) As time went on and the SCCA's inability to answer questions I was less excited. Then the big jump in the entry cost I decided to not run. It is a club. If the board can't get better prices for the members don't run that track. I fear the $1000 will keep growing year after year. We should look out for the best interest of the members.

Quote Originally Posted by FVEE56 View Post
    I was excited when Laguna was picked for the Runoffs. I put in for 3 weeks vacation. (A track I always wanted to run.) As time went on and the SCCA's inability to answer questions I was less excited. Then the big jump in the entry cost I decided to not run. It is a club. If the board can't get better prices for the members don't run that track. I fear the $1000 will keep growing year after year. We should look out for the best interest of the members.
    Agreed. Another reason why vintage FF racing is sounding like the way I want to go after 22 years of racing FV.

Liked: 140

If FV gets additional invites to participate in the FA/F2000/F1600 Pro weekends, why would anyone want to go to the Runoffs??? I understand wanting to compete for a National Championship, but if it means having to race with multiple groups during the year, less track time, increasing entry fees, and the asinine other fees (ridiculous costs for camping at Majors and the Runoffs comes to mind), then where's the real benefit?

I considered getting back into my car this year. Then I looked at the current state of FV and the SCCA as a whole and decided I'd be much happier racing motorcycles. Still have the car, and if I decide that I want to race again, it will be because I am intrigued with the turnout, cost, track time, etc that I saw at the Mid-Ohio event last month.

This is not me bashing the SCCA. I just think they offer a better product at the "Pro" level right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    If FV gets additional invites to participate in the FA/F2000/F1600 Pro weekends, why would anyone want to go to the Runoffs??? I understand wanting to compete for a National Championship, but if it means having to race with multiple groups during the year, less track time, increasing entry fees, and the asinine other fees (ridiculous costs for camping at Majors and the Runoffs comes to mind), then where's the real benefit?

I considered getting back into my car this year. Then I looked at the current state of FV and the SCCA as a whole and decided I'd be much happier racing motorcycles. Still have the car, and if I decide that I want to race again, it will be because I am intrigued with the turnout, cost, track time, etc that I saw at the Mid-Ohio event last month.

This is not me bashing the SCCA. I just think they offer a better product at the "Pro" level right now.
    Wish we had that option on the west coast.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    In total, entries have gone over the 400 mark.
    Is this the number budgeted for the 2014 Laguna Runoffs? Is the high entry an out come of this projected entry level?

Could we expect more entries and thus a lower entry fee for 2015 Daytona?

Brian

Liked: 72

It is safe to say that a budgeted number of entries is used to calculate an entry cost at some level but there are stepped and fixed costs that will change the basis of calculations. Without having looked at the costs for Daytona, there is no way of figuring entry fees at this point. Generally the hope is to achieve a breakeven.

There are qualifying events still taking place and the final entry levels will continue to grow. Historically, about half of the folks sign up the first week.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    There are qualifying events still taking place and the final entry levels will continue to grow. Historically, about half of the folks sign up the first week.
    I am not so sure. You can enter now and withdraw without penalty if you do not qualify. There are also no large parking places left. How many serious long distance SCCA racers travel 'small' anymore?

Brian

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by fv9 View Post
    WE stand at 22. I only know of one other who hasn't entered but is planning to do so. Is this going to be it? 23? Anyone else? If this is it, pathetic. Poor showing from our class.
    The largest race gets moved further away from the largest area of FVs.... Who really did not see this coming a year ago?
    Mark Filip

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    The largest race gets moved further away from the largest area of FVs.... Who really did not see this coming a year ago?
    This.
    Think what the FV field would be if they were at Watkins Glen (or maybe Mid-Ohio again), with a sub $700 entry fee. Yes, I know that would never happen, but the point is, we'd have a 40+ car group.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    This.
    Think what the FV field would be if they were at Watkins Glen (or maybe Mid-Ohio again), with a sub $700 entry fee. Yes, I know that would never happen, but the point is, we'd have a 40+ car group.
    So yet again, to heck with the west coast guys. Just support the east. Not surprised.

I say this as someone who has been involved in
    West coast FV since 82 and driving since 92. It's clear to me that most of the east coast drivers really don't care if the west coast FV fields die out. We've always sent a decent contingent that towed cross country. Far more than the east coast drivers would ever consider sending west. Guess the great divide for the survival of the class really is Appalachia.

No one said "heck with the westcost" or even implied that, but yes you are correct most eastcoast drivers don't really think about the westcoast dieing out because they don't race there. How much do you care when it snows in Alaska or rains in Seattle.

Eastcoast has been promoting the class or just lucky the fields are larger I guess. It is what it is. Some how some way FV needs to grow back in the west if anyone wants to see 30+ car fields at large races. Could be a good discussion on another thread.

Would anyone hold a major surfing event on the eastcoast? Most likely not, we have cold water and the waves suck.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 190

Would anyone hold a major surfing event on the eastcoast? Most likely not, we have cold water and the waves suck.
    I used this thing called "Google" and East Coast surfing seems to be quite popular.

Here is a couple that I found:

www.esscsurf.com

www.easternsurf.com

http://surfecsc.com/

www.eastcoastsurfclub.com/

http://floridasurfing.org/event/east...championships/

http://www.vabeach.com/event/east-co...championships/

And FWIW, the East water is WAY warmer than West water
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Moving the Runoffs west was a nice gesture after so many years away from the west coast. Laguna is an iconic track on many bucket lists, so I'm sure the turnout will be ok this year. The big mistake would be leaving it there for a few years, which the SCCA is not stupid enough to do. Same with Daytona. Have they said where it will be after that?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Have they said where it will be after that?
    Yes, Mid-Ohio in 2016

The next three years ('17, '18 and '19) should be announced at Laguna
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

No one said "heck with the westcost" or even implied that, but yes you are correct most eastcoast drivers don't really think about the westcoast dieing out because they don't race there. How much do you care when it snows in Alaska or rains in Seattle?.
    Sad that that is the attitude. We all talk about how to save the class, but here is the true view apparently.

And since I'm originally from Seattle, I do tend to watch the weather there. You see, it's my heritage and I'm interested. Kinda like how we should all be interested in the overall national health of FV.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Moving the Runoffs west was a nice gesture after so many years away from the west coast. Laguna is an iconic track on many bucket lists, so I'm sure the turnout will be ok this year. The big mistake would be leaving it there for a few years, which the SCCA is not stupid enough to do. Same with Daytona. Have they said where it will be after that?
    23 entries. Almost all being from drivers who have run it many times. Not seeing many bucket list entries.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

And since I'm originally from Seattle, I do tend to watch the weather there. You see, it's my heritage and I'm interested. Kinda like how we should all be interested in the overall national health of FV.
    A one year foray out to Laguna doesn't really shine much light on the overall national health of the FV class. The SCCA is trying something different by moving the Runoffs around more frequently. Regardless of what the motivation is to race at Laguna, there are already 440 entries with more than two months to go, so it doesn't appear it will be a total disaster. I'm sure if they reach 500 they will be reasonably happy (some of the Runoffs at Topeka barely cracked that number) and then they can move on.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Sad that that is the attitude. We all talk about how to save the class, but here is the true view apparently.

Attitude? What attitude?

Why should we all be interested in overall national health? For me and many others we are not able to run anywhere but our local tacks for many reasons and everyone has their own. I along with many other people have worked countless hours to help FV in our areas to increase and it's been working pretty well. No one can increase the numbers in a part of the country other than the people racing in them.

The runoffs went west and I think that's a good thing to give the racers out west a easier tow as it's not fair to be in one location all the time making it easy for some and not others. If your a national driver you except the travel and if it's to far or cost to much you make your choice. Many made their choice maybe it's to far, maybe the cost is to much. This year many more had to make that choice and we are going to see what it was.

I also agree with Agitator about the Pro series. On a regional level in the northeast we see no FF and no FC cars.... All are running the pro series and many FVs will jump ship if the class is invited to attend more events.

How many FVs went to the pro race at Mid Ohio? That number would have been through the roof if the majors race was not the same weekend.

Bill I know nothing about surfing but I believe anyone can get the point I was making.
    No one goes fishing in the desert
    Mark Filip

Attitude? What attitude?

Why should we all be interested in overall national health? D
    That attitude. And a sad one at that.

That attitude. And a sad one at that.
    Please answer the question.

You asked a question and I replied with reasons I believe are the cause for low entries this year at the runoffs and some how I have a attitude.... Please explain.
    Mark Filip

Please answer the question.

You asked a question and I replied with reasons I believe are the cause for low entries this year at the runoffs and some how I have a attitude.... Please explain.
    I'm simply referring to the lack of concerns for a strong class nationally. You made it clear that your concern is locally and that you are not concerned for the class' health outside of your local area. It seems many share the same view. And that's ok, it's the way you feel. However, let's stop wasting time talking about what we can do to strengthen the class nationally of there is little interest outside of one's local area.

Liked: 21

There seems to be a lot of emotion in this thread and a definite lack of facts. This left cost, right cost discussion does not help anything.
    The Appalachia comment ignores the fact that much of the FV community is located in the mid-west. For those who are geographically challenged, that is the area between the Appalachians and the Rockies. A large percentage of the FV champions in the Run Offs have been from the Mid-Div. Most notably Bill Noble and Brad Stout account for 10 championships alone. Michael Varacins has yet to finish writing his record. Bill from Kansas, Brad from Missouri and Mike from Wisconsin.
    Moving the Run Off's to different locations is something I am in favor of.

Matt
    FV61

Don't worry Brian M, Im not going to take the bait continue the thread. ;-)

Well except to say that I am well aware of US geography. :-)

Thread Information