Liked: 8

Default Motec and Engine

I hAve been offered a pro-Fm engine and motec with harness...the story is that the whole car was found, taken by police, then sold as salvage with title for everything. I am looking at the engine and Motec....

Here is the question; I understand the Motec is locked as part of the StarMazda race series....who has title to the ECU...is it the series?

I don't want to get into a jackpot where I buy this stuff and get stuck....and I will definitely be sure that the title is clear.....

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 278

Call Star Racecars

Liked: 67

Tom, that is SUPER important... The homework, that is...

MoTeC East in Mooresville can help, too. But they will need serial number for the ECU and/or Dash.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    Call Star Racecars
    agreed. Doubtful they will release an unlock code. you'd have to the ecu as-is probably.

Liked: 39

Tom, its Jeff here, the guy with the engine and Motec for sale. (It's listed on here as well as casc)

The Motec is purchased from star racecars and the mapping and programming is locked from editing (so everyone runs the same program) as far as ownership it's not an issue, but you won't be able to edit the program. That being said, from what I can find online you should be able to send it to Motec and basically whipe it clean. (For a fee I'm sure) then you'd have to come up with your own mapping.

I have the RCMP papers to prove all the legalities, and can email them if needed. I know the story sounds fishy, but I did my homework before buying the car

Liked: 17

........ you should be able to send it to Motec and basically wipe it clean. (For a fee I'm sure) then you'd have to come up with your own mapping......

Tom,

I am the owner of the only standard FM with a Star Cars factory installed Renesis engine.

The car was originally fit with a stock 4-port and an older Motec M-4. The car now has a 2009 completely stock Renesis Series II 6-port engine which made 224 rwhp and 164 ft. lbs of torque back in March of 2012 (Series II engines have 4 injectors vs 6 injectors for pre 2009 Renesis engines so I did not need to modify the wiring harness).

If you make this purchase, I would be willing to share my tune as a baseline if it would help.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Default Thanks All

Guys, thanks for the info. I am investigating further today. If the stock tune only generates 220-odd HP then I can stay with my existing engine as it is more HP than that!

I have called Motec to see what they think.

YA gotta do your homework!

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen

Default Bought it

I spoke to a couple of good resources (thanks guys) and have decided to give it a go. Deposit already sent.

I'll let y'all know how it works out!

Thanks, Tom
    Tom Owen

Default Well, I am embarassed

Well, I am embarrassed.

I paid for the engine, harness and Motec, delivered to a Toronto area near me where I could pick it up. Went, paid cash to a third party, brought everything home. I am being polite when I am saying I was disappointed. The engine is seized; the seller advised it is not and that, in order to refund my money I will have to deliver to HIM, a 14 hour drive, and then he will verify I did not "swap parts" from it.

The Motec harness is cut or torn apart in 6 different places.

Discussions may continue, I have given him the option to make a reasonable offer to make this right.

If we sort this out reasonably, I will GLADLY let you all know and amend this post.

I am hopeful!
    Tom Owen

Liked: 229

With that result you might want to consider what condition the Motec system is in.
    See if you can get it tested, no reason to be going back twice.

Liked: 39

Tom, first off, if you read the ads that I have posted, You will see that I am very clear on the fact that the engine had sat outside for a period of time (unknown to me). I also made it very clear that I was not sure that the Motec was any good, and that the wiring harness had a few issues (some cut wires that should be repairable).

I had the parts listed at a reasonable price, and had a great amount of interest in them. You were on the fence about buying it, so I called and gave you first chance and buying which you did. I then found a friend that just happened to be going down to your area (6 hours not 14) and worked out shipping for you. This was a favor to you.

I am willing to work on this problem with you, as I stated before, that I will refund your money (all of it including deposit) once I recieve the engine and verify that nothing has been swapped out or removed. Your only attempt to resolve this was to return the engine to my friend (who I may not see for months, and doesn't know anything about these engines, or for me to lower the price of the package.

As for the car being stolen, I have no idea if that is the case, but I do have a letter from the RCMP releasing the car and engine (with serial number ID and pictures) to the gentleman that I bought the car from. If you would like to see that paperwork, I can provide that, like I told you before.

As for the threat you sent me, that will be going into the Police station tomorrow to be dealt with.

Thread Information