Thread: Daytona Gearing

Liked: 3772

Default Daytona Gearing

I haven't been to Daytona in five years, and never with a legitimate car. Any suggestions for (10/31) FC gears?

OBTW... Keith just resurrected the old F2000.com gear chart showing: 20/30, 22/30, 24/28, 23/24 Is that a tad low?

Last edited by Purple Frog; 04.29.05 at 1:20 PM.

Liked: 1

Default Daytona gears

Hey, Purple,

Those gears are the ones we show in our book. I understand that the banking slows the car just from loading.

Please let us know if you learn anything different.

Craig

Default Thanks Craig

Good news for me. Bad news for Craig. I have those gears. If I needed a 25/25 or 26/25 there would have to have been a shipment from Plano Texas.

Liked: 79

Purple Frog:

What gears did you end up running with, and was top gear OK?

Liked: 586

do any of these ratios need to be changed due to the flywheel being lighter ??? i used a 23/24 at daytona 10/31 r&p and was turning 7350 rpm [thank you curtis farley] and will run 25/25 next time

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Stan, You might want to check your tach.

John

I had seen Eyerace's top RPM at Daytona in another area in Apexspeed-my thoughts as well. Having never run nothing other than the school course there myself, I had to ask the ratio question of Purple Frog.

I went ahead and ran the 23/24.

Saturday the wind was from the East. I had the shift lights set to go red at 6750. I was running a bit of confidence in the wings, but less wing than the average Roebling Road setup. Session 1 I was going red just at the bump in NASCAR 4.

At that point my fresh motor had less than 5 minutes on it and it looked like another mile to the T1 braking zone. So I attempted to "pedal" it to maintain about 6800. Also, in that session I was just hitting red going into the brake zone for the bus stop.

Kevin's beacon had blown over, so we didn't have great data.

After the session I went to my defacto driver coach, Mr. James Lee. He said to keep my foot in it, for even though it looked like a long way, at those speeds with all the drag, the car probably wouldn't pick up another 100 rpm. That seemed to make sense, and jived with what I read somewhere that pedaling and unloading a redline motor may not be as good for it as keeping it under load.

Second session on Saturday, we were tapping 7100 at NASCAR S/F. So much for babying my new engine and saving it for the Runoffs. For some reason we were still not picking up
    Kevin's beacon.

Sunday, the wind was from the West. So I didn't change gears, figuring the added drag would solve the problem. Of course, now I had taken all the winglets off the front, and flattened the rear wing. Even so, in the race I was seeing it go red closer to NASCAR S/F, more like around pit-in rather than NASCAR 4.
    But.... whoo baby, now I was hitting over 7000 going into the bus stop!
    That session we didn't pick up Court's beacon. Data trace showed one 7300. I don't remember a missed shift, but one doesn't get much traction trying to relaunch from wet grass in the infield... and there was that one time i was airbourne over the grass at the bus stop...

Results are unconclusive. If I went back this weekend I would start with the 23/24, but carry along a 25/25. I worry that a 1/1 would deaden the accereration and result in less speed. On May 7,8, track conditions were perfect, and the new bus stop configuration puts you back on the banking at a much faster speed than the old bus stop.

Liked: 43

Frog

We picked up Kevins beacon every lap of every session.

At Roebling Road we could not pick up Kevins beacon, At Daytona we discovered that somehow the knob on the receiver had somehow been misadjusted. Our position 9 on the receiver will pickup Kevin's position 0 on his beacon.

history of different engines, different tracks, different gears and different tach readings lead me to believe the tach - in the past sometimes it's been difficult to run out to more than 6800 - but good point - will do anyway - [to the sound of a low muffled mutter ................ 'more to do, more to do'....ahh, who needs sleep?... and that's why there's caffine in khalua! ]

Considering that this post is 9 years old-before the new pavement, Pinto cam and flywheel lightening- would anybody care to discuss the merits of a 1 to 1 top gear?

Sorry to have to ask-I haven't run there since 2012 with a 25-26 and my notes are a bit sketchy.

Liked: 12

Default gearing

straight up top gear 24:24 i believe you also need to take into account if you catch a tow and how well you get through the bus stop. to carry speed on to the oval

it takes a strong engine to run 1:1 in fourth at D

I can get through the bus stop fairly well. I wish that I could find my notes from 2 years ago to see what revs I was pulling without a draft.

Thread Information