Thread: omp suits

Liked: 12

Default omp suits

anyone have any feedback on these suits as opposed to sparco thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default OMP vs Sparco

I have used both entry level suits from OMP and Sparco. IMO the OMP was the better suit for me. It was lighter and cooler, and vented a little better. Also, since all suits fit different I would suggest trying them on. I am "stocky". Alpine Stars run slim. I had to go with a longer length Sparco to get the proper fit in the thighs and shoulders. The OMP fit perfect out of the box. Could never afford the $1k suits so I can't comment on those.

Liked: 195

I have had an OMP suit and numerous Sparco suits. I prefer a Sparco but not by much. I agree that the OMP suit is very breathable and a good suit. It definitely is cut different from a Sparco so just because you are a size X in one doesn't mean it applies to the other. Either brand can do a good job.

Liked: 1

In my size, the OMP suits run longer. At 6'4", that's a key difference for me.

I was satified with the quality I had with both, but as my OMP suit is a somewhat higher end suit compared with my Sparco, I can't give an apples to apples comparison.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

My OMP suit has better quality control than the Sparco suits I have seen. I have 2 friends that both had to return their Sparco suits because of faulty stitching as delivered.

My OMP suit is very comfortable and has held up very well.

I think Sparco quality control suffered a hit when they grew pretty fast. They've had plenty of time to recover from that, but I don't know that they have.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 09.27.14 at 9:58 AM.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default OMP v Sparco

We,ve had both as crew and driver suits and I'd say OMP is better quality - especially when working on the car, which is probably a bit tougher. That said, fit seems different between brands so be careful and try one on! As far as coolness I don't think there is a lot of difference but OMP seems to have an edge
    Phil

Liked: 2

The OMP dart is a great suit..I too need a longer sleeve length and it fit right out of the box. It wicks away sweat great..Its a two layer suit so no underwear required..It's well made and Looks great !
    I highly reccomend this suit, In fact all the OMP stuff i have and have seen on others has been excellent quality stuff.

Tom

Liked: 69

Default OMP

I liked my OMP better than my Sparco. I've used both, and it felt like the OMP suit fit me better than my Sparco ever did. I liked that my OMP suit looked great and my Sparco, well… I don't think it looks as good. The Sparco I have looks very worn, and I've only used it two seasons. My OMP was used from the time I was 16 until I was 22 and it still looked great.

To each their own. Good luck with the decision!

Meg Sauce

Liked: 9

Default OMP Suits

Our best sellers in the OMP line are:

OMP Sport OS20
    OMP Dynamo
    OMP Tecnica Evo
    OMP One Evo

We've had customers compare Sparco and OMP and always choose OMP. Probably the best thing to do if you have the opportunity is go to a shop where you can try both brands on for fit though.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Contributing Member

The most important thing to me is heat. Which suit in your experience, is the coolest / most breathable . Cost for this is almost no concern [within reason],, so even a higher end suit is not out of the question. Thanks a ton guys bobo the large

Default OMP suits

The OMP One Evo suit is their lightest weight suit. Once the guys get their hands on them, they usually want one.

We've had a number of folks special order these in custom colors/embroidery for teams. You'll see pros on televised races wearing them as well.

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2314.htm

The Tecnica Evo is the next step down but still very lightweight.

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2603.htm
    ApexPerformance.net

Contributing Member

I am short and fat !! Where do i find the sizing chart?

Default OMP suit Sizing

If you click on the link below, there will be a small thumbnail on the page with the size chart. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2314.htm

When you get into the price range like the One Evo and Tecnica Evo, we can do a custom size for you for not much more.
    ApexPerformance.net

Liked: 526

Does anyone know the weight of the OMP Dynamo? One Evo is listed at 250g/m2, Technica Evo is at 295 g/m2. Also curious how many sq meters roughly is a 52 or 54 size.

Also, can anyone advise, if I'm right on the line between sizes (upper end of 52, lower end of 54) is it better generally to go high or low on the size if I expect to maintain current weight and I'm obviously not growing in height!

Currently 185lbs, 5'10", 37" waist, literally right on the damn "seam" between 52/54 on the OMP chart.

My current suit is a Sparco Pro-Cup 10 which is my first suit and I admittedly bought before I knew much about suits. It comes in at around 4 lbs so I'm thinking it is about twice as heavy as the lightest models out there.

While on the subject of Sparco, their top end Extrema RS-10 is listed at 700g total which I think would be around 205g/m2 but it is unclear what size that would be for and I'm basing the 205g number on the other stated facts about being 10% lighter than the Superleggera which lists at 230g/m2.

I'm in FL and currently can't stand to run July or August with June and September being pretty borderline. I'm willing to invest in the right suit if new technology really can breathe and I don't feel so exhausted when it is 95 deg ambient. I'd say my current Sparco Pro Cup 10 has about zero breathability it seems.

Realize I asked several questions all in one post - appreciate answers or insight to any amount of this that anyone can offer. I think I'm still on-topic with the OP's intent!

v/r,
    Mike

Contributing Member

What he said. To me weight is not an issue, its coolness / . Once i am poured into the seat I get claustraphobic. The only thing that keeps me from freaking out is cold water to sip on and poured on me to cool the suit. Other than quit any suggestions. PS Can anyone show me where the spell check is on this forum?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Try the phase change cooling vests. Pegasus carries them. One caution. Although fires are extremely rare, a wet suit causes severe burns as the water turns to steam inside your suit. Also, have your crew keep you under an umbrella and/or hold a cordless leaf blower to keep you cool on the grid. Mental imagery may also help. Instead of dreading the hot cockpit, imagine you're in a warm & cozy sleeping bag on a very cold day. EZ to do up here in Mn.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default Apex at Daytona

Mikey,

We will be at Daytona the weekend of october 23-26 for a Porsche Club Race and will have suits with us on our trackside showroom trailer. Stop in if it's convenient for you to try some things on! I usually have some of the higher-end suits and I have the dart and Dynamo suits in stock as well so you can compare weights/fitment.
    ApexPerformance.net

Contributing Member

Racerdad,,, thank you , all suggestions are welcome,,,,,bob

Liked: 526

Quote Originally Posted by ApexPerformance View Post
    Mikey,

We will be at Daytona the weekend of october 23-26 for a Porsche Club Race and will have suits with us on our trackside showroom trailer. Stop in if it's convenient for you to try some things on! I usually have some of the higher-end suits and I have the dart and Dynamo suits in stock as well so you can compare weights/fitment.
    really wish I had the time, I'd invest in the time to drive over there without hesitation to try on suits, but I'm not able to break free that weekend.. can you possibly weigh the different suits and let me know?

v/r,
    Mike

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If I may interject....

The weight of the suit and its ability to breathe have zero correlation.

For example one of those sauna suits are a whole lot lighter than a standard jogging suit, but I guarantee they don't breathe as well.

What determines the suits' ability to breathe are the materials utilized, their weave and their thickness.

If you are comparing suits of the same materials, same weave, same blends, same layers, the lighter one will not give you as much protection.

The weight is all marketing hype.

Get a suit that is lighter than another one and made of the same materials and you just spent more money for less protection.

Thread Information