Liked: 24

Default RaceCapture/Pro MK2 Telemetry system

Any ApexSpeed drivers using the RaceCapture system?

The data logging hardware looks interesting with it's multiple sensors and cost. Maybe a possible replacement for my AimSolo in a Formula Vee.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapturepro/

Thanks,

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by crypt0zink View Post
    Any ApexSpeed drivers using the RaceCapture system?

The data logging hardware looks interesting with it's multiple sensors and cost. Maybe a possible replacement for my AimSolo in a Formula Vee.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapturepro/

Thanks,
    For the pre-release price of a Solo, you can do a lot more with this unit. Add sensors, tablet support, even telemetry over cel modem to send info to the crew or coach.

Downside is that it's completely configurable and the software is in formative development, but the group that build it are enthusiastic and helpful. It's also "open source."

I sell hundreds of Solos (along with EVO4's, MoTeC, Video VBOX and Traqmate) and this is a worthy addition to the market, IF you will take the time to set it up and learn it.

Not for the computer novice, that's all.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 49

One downside is that, so far, I don't believe there is a usable dash option - I don't think an iPhone duct taped to your steering wheel is gonna cut it

Other than that, yes, seems like a great system with a ton of potential, even if it takes some effort to harness all the potential.

Liked: 0

Hi crypt0zink, thanks for sharing the info - thanks too, Peter. We are happy to answer any questions you might have - fire away! Also: this might be a more informative link: www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-2/

We've learned much around the first version, so the RaceCapture/Pro MK2 system is a big leap not just in the hardware, but in the ease-of use around the software app.

So while the MK2 hardware specifications are quite stunning, we are working on making all of the configuration, dashboard and analysis features accessible on touch-optimized devices like tablets and phones, so you don't need a laptop trackside. And, overall, it will be much more plug-and-play easier to use out of the box.

The analysis mode will let you see real-time streaming data via the cellular telemetry in the pits or around the world, and also compare live data from previous sessions (e.g. your best laps from last week), or even a friend's set of laps, as it is all cloud connected via http://www.race-capture.com

Finally, if a traditional data analysis software package is what you want, we'll also support data export to the industry-standard, free-to-use GEMS software http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages...-data-analysis (we learned about this after a user contributed an export to this format

cheers,

Hi Tiago Santos,

You're right - while many have successfully used a tablet/phone as a dashboard/lap timer, certain use cases call for a rugged dedicated display. Watch for some big announcements coming up.

Also; RCP can also be used as a telemetry upgrade for existing systems and dashboards, after tapping into the existing CAN bus messaging, providing a cost-effective real-time telemetry solution.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'll have to do some research into the GEMS software, post-race data analysis is my main interest. Since, I'm racing vintage Vee the real-time telemetry might push the "vintage sprint" a bit too far.

Anyone have a opinion about the free GEMS analysis software compared to AIM and Traqmate software?

John

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by crypt0zink View Post

Anyone have a opinion about the free GEMS analysis software compared to AIM and Traqmate software?

John
    I think you will need the pro version to import any data files outside of a GEMS logger data file.
    I did a quick look, AIM will export in a bunch of different formats, the GEMS software wants it in log file with .stf format. I did not try to just change the file extension.
    I did a quick look at manual only pro version is available and no mention of importing data.

Liked: 49

From the little I've seen, GEMS seems heavily influenced by MoTec's i2.. Which is a good thing, in my opinion

Hi Tiago,

We had a user contribute a script that converts the RCP format to GEMS:

https://github.com/autosportlabs/RCP2GEMS

It would be easy to incorporate this as a save-as in our software. Ideally we would export into multiple formats, much like a CAD or office productivity suite would.

Quote Originally Posted by brent picasso View Post
    It would be easy to incorporate this as a save-as in our software. Ideally we would export into multiple formats, much like a CAD or office productivity suite would.
    Hi Brent,

Could you provide an example of the unconverted RCP data? and after the GEM script?

Thanks

Hi crypt0zink,

email me at brent (a) autosportlabs (dot) com and we'll send you some sample log files and brief instructions.

Cheers!

Brent, sent you a email and looking forward to trying it out.
    Thanks,

Thread Information