Thread: GoPro question

Liked: 94

Default GoPro question

I have a BestBuy gift card and was thinking that maybe I'd get a GoPro camera. They have the Hero2 Outdoor for $199. The GoPro Motorsport edition is a bit more but I'm thinking that the suction cup mount is useless anyhow and I could get the Outdoor Edition and buy the roll bar mount separate for like $20.

For those of you using a GoPro.....do you use the GoPro roll bar mount or what? Thanks in advance!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 49

Yeah I don't think the motorsport edition is worth it for most of us.. On my car, the mount is glued (with a bolt drilled through for good measure..) to the engine cover, but I'd mount it to the roll bar if I could. My car has a brace that goes to the top of the roll bar so I can't mount the camera up there.

edit: don't know if BestBuy sells any other action type cameras, but there are alternatives that I'd consider if I were in the market for a new camera.. The Replay cameras look pretty good, for instance.. The GoPro is a great camera in my opinion, but the shape and mounts are a bit behind the times Lots of complaints about broken mounts (and corresponding M.I.A. cameras) and it's probably worth a couple tenths of a horsepower at 100mph

Liked: 52

Default Go Pro

The Hero2 is a great camera.... Although in less than a month it will be outdated due to the release of the Hero3 which ships, I think at the end of the month.

I am not an engineer or extremely knowledgeable about that type of stuff, a little more knowledge then most I would say. But I honestly don't think the shape of the GoPro effects that much, if any at all, the aero and speed of a racecar. I think its small enough that it is little to none.

Ryan

Thanks for the opinions. If I was buying from scratch with no incentive to shop at BestBuy and no price limit, I'd probably research more and get the Hero3 or a different camera but with the gift card I have, I can get the Hero2 Outdoor for just over $100 and the Hero3 is $299 so it seems like a no-brainer to just go with the Hero2. In the end, I'll just be taking video to watch the fast guys lap me.....

Besides, the GoPro is the closest thing I can get to a race car part at BestBuy!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Scratch that. The base model of the Hero3 can be had for the same price as the Hero2 Outdoor. It looks like I can use a 64GB card in the Hero3 compared to 32GB with the Hero2 but I don't understand what most of the other stuff means. Can someone interpret all the technical details and tell me what one will do that the other won't?

Hero3
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...&skuId=6571752

Hero2
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...&skuId=3451683
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 924

Default Contour Roam?

I like their mounting system a bit better than GoPro. One touch record

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Contour+...mera&cp=1&lp=3
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    . Can someone interpret all the technical details and tell me what one will do that the other won't?
    Get the Hero2 and a roll bar mount. All the race images here were taken with the Hero2 : http://formula-first.org/

(The Hero 2 is not waterproof.)

You can record at least 2 races/sessions on the card and then just download/erase and start again. Resolution and video angles are great.

There are other options you can add later if desired.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Get the Hero2 and a roll bar mount. All the race images here were taken with the Hero2 : http://formula-first.org/

(The Hero 2 is not waterproof.)

You can record at least 2 races/sessions on the card and then just download/erase and start again. Resolution and video angles are great.

There are other options you can add later if desired.
    The Hero2 is not waterproof?
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Sorry, I meant the Hero3. THe hero 2 is waterproof
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Thanks, Jim. I was hoping that was just a mis-type.

Hero2 it is.
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

All GoPro's are waterproof. The camera itself isnt, but it comes with a waterproof housing even the hero3

On the page Matt referenced, it didn't show a case. But you are correct if a case comes with it.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

At the very bottom of the description "What's Included" second item on the list.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-wh...on#description

Ryan

Liked: 29

Default Vibration

I've got the Hero3 and have been using it this past season. I'm getting a lot of vibration in the footage. Anyone else have similar issues? Any suggestions on how to get rid of some of the camera shake? I'm using the GoPro roll bar mount with a tether.

thanks
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I wrap the roll bar with a couple of layers of duct tape. then put the roll bar mount on. Next I used painters tape on the bottom, top and sides of the GoPro external case. Helped some.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    I've got the Hero3 and have been using it this past season. I'm getting a lot of vibration in the footage. Anyone else have similar issues? Any suggestions on how to get rid of some of the camera shake? I'm using the GoPro roll bar mount with a tether.

thanks
    Car type and engine? The roll bar on a Kent engine 85 VD is a really tough location for cameras, especially the Hero Wide I used to use. Unfortunately it is the only location on my car that "works". I now use Race Technology cameras mounted as shown. This was after trying various mounting means for both the GoPro (killed 2 under warranty) and the RT cameras. Soft mounting simply allowed other camera movement/shake plus the engine vibrations. The black blocks are RT accessories. The only thing between the blocks and the rollbar are thin velcro straps.

Dick

Liked: 29

I've got a FV and normally I attach it to the rollbar behind my head.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Thread Information