Liked: 667

Default Ray Phillip's video / data integration

Someone named Ray Phillips has a You Tube video labeled: VIR Race 4 20 14. It has a really nice data overlay on the screen,and I was wondering if that product is still available, or compatible with CDS. Anyone recognize it?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

It looks like he did it with RaceRender from an AiM dash. RaceRender doesn't list CDS as an input, but it might work if you tried.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Someone named Ray Phillips has a You Tube video labeled: VIR Race 4 20 14. It has a really nice data overlay on the screen,and I was wondering if that product is still available, or compatible with CDS. Anyone recognize it?
    Hi Jim,

I used Race Render software to create those videos. http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

It takes a little bit of time to get used to but you should be able to use it with any data system. You export your data to a format that the software can read and then import the data and your video file to Race Render. The hard part is getting the data to sync up with the video but after you do it a couple of times you will learn a few tricks. I tried to sync it when the car first started moving from pit lane and then adjusted it based on shift points, initial braking, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ray

Ray,
    Thanks! I really like the graphic display on screen, showing braking and RPM, etc. I am going to look into that! Loved the video BTW. Really enjoyed it.
    Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 526

Jim,
    Another option is dashware.net - also takes a little playing around to learn all the features, but very cool data/video integrator and very customizable. if you checkout their website, you can look at the customer videos link. one of mine is here:

http://www.dashware.net/videos/pro-f...orsports-park/

Users of dashware also have started sharing their customized gauges. You can download extras for free.

Should work just fine with your data, and the tech support is great if you have any issues.

v/r,
    Mike

Liked: 293

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMmED-OTckI

For those who are wondering what is being discussed.

Thanks for the tip. I couldn't get racerender to work with CDS, so I will look into dashware.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 2

Default tried to send a pm, but since your mb is full...

While not the fanciest interface, CDS sells product that does just that-The Informer. http://www.competitiondata.com/infor...n_informer.htm

I used it in my FV for years, and it works very well. I would send copies of the race video to my engine builder during the early development years so he could see how the motor was reacting to long, and lat g's etc.

You do need a camera system that allows you to interrupt the video feed to the video recorder, such as, but not limited to, Chase Cam. No post production work as it is done live on the fly. Nice not to have to worry about synching data and video. As well as showing you the items in Ray's video, you can display any channel you are recording on the CDS including all of your performance monitor functions.

If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to contact me.

Steve Dreizler
    sdd04@centurytel.net

Liked: 67

Nice Race Render overlay, Ray! Is that Replay video?
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Nice Race Render overlay, Ray! Is that Replay video?
    Thanks Peter. The video was taken using a GoPro Hero 3.

Ray

Yep, the data export from your MyChron3 and the video from the GP3 works well. I like the numbers in the bar graphs, although it would be nice to see longitudinal g's as well as lat g's.

Not something you can do between sessions, though...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Contributing Member

I actually like the layout that I put together for one of my Mid-Ohio videos better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeYXwMiNqdM

Both lateral and longitudinal g's are shown but you can't see the numbers. And no, this is not something that you do in between sessions. I put them together at least a week after my race weekends.

Ray

Yep. Like that better.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Admittedly I haven't played with any others than DashWare, but did investigate them all before deciding. As Ray mentioned, it isn't something you can do between sessions, but I have managed to get some video done overnight and study before day 2 of a weekend event. DashWare has a lot of powerful features that let you build custom gauges or graphs, map any data channel from your recorder, etc. I have a layout I use specifically for training where I overlay the throttle % and brake psi as a plot vs time by lap and display it somewhat translucent out in front of the car so as I watch laps later I can easily see when I am getting back on the gas and when I am on the brakes.. It helps me identify markers on the track to look for next time out when I know I want to go later into a corner for example.

I don't post these versions to youtube because I'm too embarrassed to share that much data with the public at large I'm still a long way off from being 'comfortable' in my 'new' car.

Maybe I'll swallow pride and just post one up for the sake of showing what I'm talking about..

ok here you go.. more data overlay.. putting the throttle and brake traces over top of the track help me keep a better eye on those data points while watching the lap. of course you could put any data that you like anywhere on screen.

http://youtu.be/i3YsmP0j1MY

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
    While not the fanciest interface, CDS sells product that does just that-The Informer. http://www.competitiondata.com/infor...n_informer.htm

I used it in my FV for years, and it works very well. I would send copies of the race video to my engine builder during the early development years so he could see how the motor was reacting to long, and lat g's etc.

You do need a camera system that allows you to interrupt the video feed to the video recorder, such as, but not limited to, Chase Cam. No post production work as it is done live on the fly. Nice not to have to worry about synching data and video. As well as showing you the items in Ray's video, you can display any channel you are recording on the CDS including all of your performance monitor functions.

If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to contact me.

Steve Dreizler
    sdd04@centurytel.net
    Will add that the informer does things the others do not, like capture the top speed on a straight and then the low speed for the corner, so you don't have to stop the video to see. And the predicted lap , shows precisely sections of the track where your gains/loss are in real time, again without having to stop the video. Graphics are great and pretty but the features of the informer are highly useful in looking at replays in video.
    George Main
    SpeedSense consulting

Steve: Thanks. [I emptied my inbox, too]
    Mikey: I like the overlay! Pretty cool stuff.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by George Main View Post
    Will add that the informer does things the others do not, like capture the top speed on a straight and then the low speed for the corner, so you don't have to stop the video to see.

And the predicted lap , shows precisely sections of the track where your gains/loss are in real time, again without having to stop the video. Graphics are great and pretty but the features of the informer are highly useful in looking at replays in video.
    True. "Latching" or capturing the vMax and vMin are very useful tools. Race Technology and Racelogic both do that.

One of the first applications that used this was Harry's Lap Timer Pro, usable with Android and iOS devices. Both latching and predictive/gain-loss are included on these. Great feature.

If the info is logged, it can be exported and the third party apps can overlay the gain/loss.

Such a great "instant" report card of what works and what doesn't.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    True. "Latching" or capturing the vMax and vMin are very useful tools. Race Technology and Racelogic both do that.

One of the first applications that used this was Harry's Lap Timer Pro, usable with Android and iOS devices. Both latching and predictive/gain-loss are included on these. Great feature.

If the info is logged, it can be exported and the third party apps can overlay the gain/loss.

Such a great "instant" report card of what works and what doesn't.
    Quite a few years back, when gauges were the thing, along came the digital dashboard. Many thought that the dash board, would be a distraction, as you had to read the dash, not just a "sweeping" look for needles straight up. So as the dashes because more and more useful.. with information, or lack of it, except what was important, Video took a different route. Video with data that is. During the time of selling the digital dash to the racing public, to those who used gauges previously, it was not about what you see, but about what you don't have to see. Freeing the driver from what's wrong with your car, unless something is really wrong and alarming the driver to it. With Video , it seems we have taken a different route with information on digital gauges, that has to be rerun for the important info. Like top speed, min corner speed and an assortment of graphs, that some programmer would think looks great. The problem is the information, the real useful information has been lost to making things pretty. A driver is not concerned with pretty, but rather what he did was faster or slower.
    Very funny in some cases of video imprints that revert to the beginning, and put gauges back on the screen, when their dash, from the same company, does all the right things to not distract the driver but their video imprints do just the opposite. Guess the programmers of video software, just figured you can rewind over and over again until you get it. Others knew what the drivers would need, CDS being one of those very early in the video imprint era. Especially those drivers reviewing their last session, to see the improvements, some have to have the remote in their hand to know if what they did made an improvement or not, others have that information without needing to rewind the video.
    George Main
    SpeedSense consulting

Thread Information